Funny coincidences

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tanplastic, May 17, 2021.

1. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

Do you have an odd coincidence to share?
    I'll start off with a story that still makes me chuckle twenty years after the fact.
    A friend and I were driving around the county looking for a spot to do some sketching with our paints.
    We were well lost, just tooling around the gravel roads when we stopped at a yard sale.
    Not interested in much, I flipped through some of the old vinyl in boxes.
    I pulled out one record to glance at, and couldn't believe my eyes.
    The very old Silvertone guitar my friend had bought the month earlier was on the cover of this album.
    We bought it to confirm, and yes the wood knots and dings matched, same rare guitar (between the Rics)!
    [​IMG]
    Share what you got.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    richiek65, JL_LI, stormsedge and 3 others like this.
  2. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Retracted

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  3. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

Score!

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a Cabronita Tele from a guy once, who was giving up playing. He also had a Peavey classic 50, he couldn't make his mind up whether to sell it, or keep it. Instead, he just launched it at me.
    Somehow I managed to catch the handle and tear my shoulder. I was about to go apesh** at him, but instead he said that I could have it for free. My shoulder still hurts sometimes.

4pickupguy, stormsedge and tanplastic like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Forty years or so ago, I came home early from work, and found my wife with another guy in our bedroom. She swore up and down it was the ONLY time she had ever been unfaithful, and just by coincidence that was the time I came home early. What are the odds? You wouldn't think she was lying about it being the first and only time, would you?
    Nah!...me neither. We've been divorced for about 41 years now. Best decision I ever made. ;)

6. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

I met my wife on an online dating site some 11 years ago. We both grew up in the same town. I’d moved away, some years before we met, although she still lived in our home-town.

upon talking we discovered that we’d both been to the same primary (Junior) school. The same secondary (high) school, the same Uni. We both lived on the same street at the same time, her at 32 and me at 33, and we both appear on the same school photo, albeit me in the back row, her in the front row….

catdaddy, skradlee, LGOberean and 3 others like this.
  7. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

How does this qualify as a coincidence? :confused:

In fact most responses here are a stretch to calling them a coincidence...unless the meaning of the word has been changed...:lol:

skradlee likes this.
  8. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I have had a few real life, mind boggling coincidences. In fact some are just too out of the realm of anything in logic. It is enough to make me think there is something bigger than us. Here is a low level coincidence for me. I had a friend for 1 summer when I was 13, bout 1968. My Dad died when I was 11 and every summer after, my Mom took me to Chicago for the summer. I brought my Vox amp & Gibson guitar. this kid was just starting. Next summer, back to Chicago and he is GONE, no one knows what became of him. His Mom died and other issues were abound. Some 15 years ago, my Wife shelps me to a get together/birthday party. THe guy introduces himself and he is the senior Engineer at Fender. I snug up close to him, LOL. Well, we became good friends. HE is an amazing guy, he designed a number of Fender re-issues and, He builds & designs, Edwards amps. One day we are having lunch. He is from Chicago. While at lunch he gets a call from his brother, I hear them chatting. He hangs up and says, that was my brother Brian. I asked where he was, how old, etc. Then I asked where they lived in Chicago? RIGHT next to brothers APT in Skokie. It was his brother, Brian who I was friends with when I was 13.

Come on loooosers, give us a real coincidence. I have a few like this, MIND BLOWERS, out of the realm. Sometimes I think I have some extra spiritual meaning on Earth. My coincidences are just too heavy.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Come on now! Blow out my coincidence!

10. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have three very good friends I met years apart from one another, all three of their wives were born on 9/30. A fourth is 9/29.

One of those guys is the oldest of four sons. Their dad divorced after the first pair of sons and married a woman with the same birthday as the first wife. The two younger sons are as far apart in age from one another as the oldest two are, to the day; out of each pair, the oldest and youngest boys have the same birthdays.

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

The one that comes to mind is sort of like the series of coincidences @Cyberi4n shared.

My youngest daughter Jess back in the late '90s was on some AOL chat room or some such and enjoyed interacting with a guy there. It sounds borderline creepy today, but close to 25 years ago, it wasn't so much.

Later Jess became an EMT and was studying to be a paramedic. She got a job driving for an ambulance company. Linda, her senior partner (?) in the ambulance kept wanting to set my daughter up with her nephew, saying they'd be perfect for each other. Jess thought, "Yeah...right..." and brushed it off.

Later still, she sees a guy on the campus of a local junior college, playing guitar in a band. She thought he is, and I quote, "a stud muffin" o_O but she didn't want to fall too hard for him, so she tells her friends she couldn't fall for anyone younger than her.

Turns out, this guy named Chris is older than Jess...by three days. And he was the guy she'd befriended in a chat room years before. And Chris is, as you've no doubt already guessed, Linda's nephew.

They married 21 years ago. I've mentioned them in other TDPRI threads. They are my kids that have ten children, the first four the old-fashioned way, the next six by adoption. And they are currently fostering two siblings of one they adopted, and they're hoping to adopt these two as well.

Maybe not the most phenomenal coincidences of all time. Maybe not even coincidences by everyone's definition. But in my book, if they're not coincidences, they'll do until coincidences come along.

nojazzhere, tanplastic and boneyguy like this.
  12. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

All right- let me rescue this thread.

Back when I was in college, I had a project where I had to pick a product that I liked, and document how it is manufactured and packaged. I picked my favorite product at the time: Red Dog Beer. This was pre-internet, so you couldn't just Google it to get all of the info about anything. I procrastinated and hadn't done anything with less than a week left before it was due. I decided that I was going to work on the project one night instead of going out, but my roommates talked me into going to the bars anyways. I figured that I couldn't make any phone calls to get the info that I needed at night anyways, so I went. I ended up meeting a girl at the bar that night whose dad runs a Miller plant that made Red Dog beer. She called her dad and provided me with all of the info that I needed to complete my project.

I still contend to this day that I learned a lot more in bars than in the classroom while at college.

13. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

There was a fellow from my friend group in college that everyone seemed to run into in very random situations over the next decade. Among other instances, my friend Dan happened upon him in a grocery store in Amsterdam, while I personally found him in a convenience store in central Kansas at 3am, and at my cousin's wedding in Waco where he showed up married to the maid of honor.

His name is not Waldo, but it oughtta be.

14. skradlee

skradlee Tele-Meister

That was my thought as well.

boneyguy likes this.
  15. boneyguy

I copied and pasted these from my post in a previous 'coincidences' thread from Nov. 2020.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Back in the late '70's I was with a bunch of friends at a bluegrass festival in a small town a couple hours away from the small city we lived in. I think it was on the second day that we were in our buddy's car cruising through town and we had Supertramp playing on the car's cassette deck. I don't recall which song it was. We stopped at a red light. Up beside us pulled a car with a few folks in it. It was summer so the windows were down in both vehicles. The car beside had the very same Supertramp song going and it was in PERFECT sync with the tape in our car. And I mean perfectly in sync. We all broke out laughing of course but that has stuck in my head for all this time as quite a remarkable thing. Could you even calculate the odds of that happening?...could you even make that happen on purpose?...I don't see how....and yet it happened.

2) About a year ago my wife and I were at a local club.....there to listen to some friends play (back when that sort of thing still happened). The waitress eventually made her way over to us to take our order. There was music playing so it was difficult to hear each other. The waitress asked for a name to put on the tab we were going to start and my wife spoke up and said her name, "Kelly". The waitress obviously couldn't hear what my wife had said and she leaned forward toward my wife and said something I couldn't hear and then I heard my wife repeat her name "Kelly" to the waitress. When the waitress left I leaned toward my wife and asked her what the waitress had thought she had said her name was and my wife replied "Stella". I recall thinking "how can you hear Kelly as Stella...but it was noisy and I didn't give it another thought. Probably less than a minute later a guy I know is walking across the bar and he spots me and smiles and makes a bee line toward me while pulling out his phone. He leans down to me and says "look what I just bought" as he's bringing up a pic on his phone. What he shows me is a photo of an old archtop guitar. I'm holding the phone and I enlarge the picture. It's a Stella!! I couldn't get that one out of my head for a few days.

tanplastic and nojazzhere like this.
  16. boneyguy

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. – Mark Twain

17. boneyguy

Now a REAL coincidence would have been if you walked into the wrong house by mistake and found your wife in bed with another guy.......wow! :confused:

Danb541 and nojazzhere like this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

No...with her, apparently it would have been a coincidence if I walked into the neighbor's house and she WASN'T there in bed with another guy. ;)

boneyguy, P-Nutz and Danb541 like this.
  19. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My avatar originally belonged to a fellow named Choice Pearson. He bought the old D18 as new old stock in 1940, while in the Navy and served aboard several ships in the Pacific. After WWII, he returned to Texas and formed a band that performed in the NW Texas and New Mexico, gaining enough popularity to play on several radio stations there. Fast forward to 2010, and I'm teaching in the Houston area. My wife and I go to a garage sale about two blocks from our house and find it's being run by a guy that is a coach in the same school where I teach. We get to talking guitars and I relate the story of my old Martin to him. He gets a peculiar look on his face and asks, "What was the name of the original owner?" I tell him and he says that his grandfather played in several bands in the same area at the same time, and hit me between the eyes with, "My grandfather has spoken about Choice Pearson and his great sounding D18!" Coulda knocked me over with a small feather!

20. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

You're correct, not a coincidence. I retracted the story.;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.