Fun with VPN

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Mar 26, 2020.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ok, I know a lot of you are doing it., remote in. I have to remote computer since I have
    apps on various machines.

My first question is, do we have to reboot daily to get back local pc memory to have everything
    run optimal. I have always done that at work, no problem. I have ginormous datasets in dbs and xls
    that will clock out if not enough.

That said, I left mine on now overnight at home, since I am not as fast as I use to be

This darn 2 factor authorization that sends a number to your cell phone. You have only 7 seconds
    to respond typing in a 9 digit number. It took me 10 minutes yesterday to keep trying it
    since I typed it in wrong or not fast enough and go timed out.

I am not as quick as I use to be. lol

Anyway....vpn is not fun when that happens.

nomadh likes this.
  2. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Welcome to the new normal :confused:

aging_rocker and uriah1 like this.
  3. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Holic

Are you saying the big apps are running on a remote computer? If so that has no affect on your local PC at all. You might have to restart the remote computers though, if that was the case when you worked on site.

I've always disconnected the VPN after work, but it times out after 8-1/2 hours anyway and I have to log in again. I had that happen in the middle of completing a report using a remote desktop. Hoo boy did I ever get fired up that day.

Our 2-factor auth program displays several numbers before it times out so it's not as restrictive as yours. The one we use is called ID Wallet. I hate that the cheap so and sos at work make us use our own equipment when they should be providing dedicated RSA tokens instead.

I know what you mean about the timing out too. When the network is down we have something called QR entry where you take a photo of a QR code and it generates a number to login with. Actually the program snaps the photo, when you get all the alignment points right. I spent an hour trying to get that thing to work. Just when I'd get most of the points lit up, it would time out and I had to start over.

All in all, I've been working remotely for two decades now, and it's a lot easier now than it ever was. You just have to get used to the process.

uriah1 likes this.
  4. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Don't know, use Macs.

uriah1 likes this.
  5. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Seven seconds? Good gravy, tell your security department to chill out.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

which vpn client are you using? we've been pretty happy with the last two versions of cisco anyconnect... no need to reboot or do anything and it has been solid. You might let your admin know, they can adjust things (like the 2 factor stuff) to be more humane.

imwjl and uriah1 like this.
  7. uriah1

Cisco

8. getbent

probably issues on the concentrator... I'd put a ticket in and get on the phone with them....

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm seriously techno-challenged. Y'all might as well be speaking Greek to me.

Wait, bad analogy, I read Greek. Make that Chinese.

When I saw "VPN," the only thing that came to mind was an acronym meaning Very Patient Nerds.

tubegeek likes this.
  10. getbent

what is your connection like at home?

do you have unique payloads? or is it basic stuff?

11. uriah1

Basic queries.

12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Not if you're dealing with DFARS.

13. getbent

fair enough.

uriah do you do procurement?

14. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister

If it otherwise performs normally, I would look at circuit speed & traffic first.

You guys using split tunneling?

The IT team can get that info from the SAs, or can make a quick & dirty dash w/ zabbix/grafana to track dynamically in real time

uriah1 likes this.
  15. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

7 seconds? Are you sure you're not on some game show contest? Did you piss off the IT manager?

16. uriah1

That is funny...

I actually did it this morning in 4 tries....record..........

Part of the problem is this darn small phone and keyboard for my 2nd factor auth, and my fat fingers trying to type those numbers in
    likety split..I cuss when I don't and the cats go running...

lol

17. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Cisco AnyConnect. Our company policy has it time out in 24 hours. I always shut down my work PC when I am done for the day. Plus, this new Dell POS runs HOT! The fan run the entire time it is on, with no CPU or disk activity.

uriah1 likes this.
  18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, there are ways I can know who's who, and our current Cisco platform will use the built in features in a supported version of Android, iPhone, Mac or Windows. The app lets you distribute a profile, and what's built into your OS can be set up with very good documentation from Cisco.

Here are my observations with far more staff doing the remote thing. Most people are in a split tunnel configuration that lets them do their general Internet and the office connection. They get DNS from the device serving the VPN. The reboot or refresh is possibly clearing that. There are Windows and UNIX commands to flush/refresh DNS do it without a reboot.

Chrome: Fan boys and girls will probably disagree but I see resource use problems with Chrome I do not see when a Mac uses Safari, or Windows 10 uses old vs Chrome-based Edge. Yesterday a Chrome loving pal finally admitted the problem with his 32 GB RAM PC was many tabs open in Chrome. It's probably just temporary that 45 PCs I replaced recently are better because they have 2x the RAM.

Full disclosure: I'm an Alphabet stockholder so I should probably more positive about it. I'm just telling myself it's replaced IE and Windows XP and 7 as deal with it stuff.

uriah1 likes this.
  19. getbent

hmmm, that sounds like a bad acting app maybe... someone (an app or process) is on a binge... it would hilarious if it is cac!

20. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I work for a database management services firm with dozens of clients.

Each client has a unique way to connect.. different VPNs and two factor authentication tools.. huge pain in the ass going from client to client. These VPN connections can really screw things up. Often just have to reboot to clean things out so I can connect to the next VPN.

I feel OP's pain, every day. But I get paid to deal with it so I'm grateful.

uriah1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.