Fun with the ScatMan (mix content)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by woodman, Oct 24, 2012.

1. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

In past projects, I've worked with Kevin (ScatMan) in limited roles,but this one's a real-time collaboration. ... It originated from thinking about a reputed Indian tradition of old folks going out to freeze to death for the good of the tribe, and how that might play out in a modern (dark humor) situation. What I was trying to achieve was to write a hillbilly gospel song that expands into adjacent realms.

Kevin's playing mandolin, harp, fiddle, piano, and scorches a mean B-bender solo (he takes the first half, then I chime in with him on Hellecasterish harmonies on the second half). He says he's not particularly country-oriented, but you wouldn't know it listening to this.

Production-wise, it's pretty experimental for me. Kevin kept my head on straight as far as dumb mistakes. I'm vulnerable on the analytical flank, and he covers my a$$. Full disclosure: This is my first time out on the JBL monitors! See what you think.

Home On High

2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think the new monitors are working.

I only was able to give a very quick casual listen (but on the real monitors) and everything sounded nice and balanced to me.

Sounds like it was a fun one to do too.

Good work all around!

Cheers,
    Geoff

3. woodman

Thanks, Geoff — yeah, the monitors helped, but so did Kevin's able ear. And yeah, it was great fun too. We started cooking this up in late summer, so glad to finally set it free!

4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey Wood,

Did you use the software (monitor emulation) or just go with the new ones as is?

Anyhow, this is hopefully gonna inspire me to get back at it. It really is pretty fun and sounds good. I always like to hear the forum collabos too.

Got a couple should be easy ones in the hopper. Just gotta get organized.

Cheers,
    Geoff

5. Buzzy_Fretts

Buzzy_Fretts Tele-Meister

Woodman that was awesome, I really enjoyed it.

6. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

I was trying to channel my "inner hillbilly." ;)

7. woodman

Appreciate it, Buzzy!

The speakers adjusted themselves via the Room Mode Correction system to kill standing waves and room boom, but haven't installed the fancy software package for EQ, presets and all that — later for that (if ever). As the mix was falling into place, I spent a morning with the VRM box emulations to find ugly spots, then finished up on the monitors alone. It's been quite an adjustment, and I'm still not confident with them, but that'll come ... I tended to be heavy-handed on my adjustments, but Kevin steered me right when I got off-track.

I'd love to see that happen! All your demo snippets have been interesting, and bear in mind you've got lots of lead time til June! ;)

8. woodman

Good therapy! Plus, after the piano comes in, the hillbilly vibe starts easing on out. The last section (after the instrumental) rocks out pretty good!

9. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Interesting! Sorta starts out like a Johnny Cash tune. It's well executed, the vocals are great, I like the variety fills.... about the only thing I could hear, would be to try and EQ the bass to be a little more "rounder" and see how it sounds.

10. woodman

Yeah, I had some misgivings about the bass, especially as the arrangement morphs out of the straight country into more of a heathen gospel jubilee. The thubby sound is authentic in the early going, but it doesn't really drive the more rocking parts later on. I'll work on that some — maybe EQ automation. Thanks, Dave!

11. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Nice ! thanks for posting ( and doing all the work )

t

12. woodman

Thanks, Tony ... BTW, that's ol' Tom on bass. Forgot to credit him in the OP!

Dave, carving out deep but narrow notches at 190 and 270 Hz rounded off the bass pretty well ... not gonna repost just yet, waiting to see how many more butt-kickings I get here and take it from there!

13. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Well Woody, they just keep getting better and better. Had a listen on the computer speakers (sound card packed away atm) which sound okay and didn't hear anything untoward. It sounds like those new speakers are working well for you. The balance of everything was good, playing excellent and just when I thought it could do with some backing vocals, bang! there they were. Particularly enjoyed the fiddle playing too Scatman.

The only constructive (criticism seems harsh) note I would make is when the drums start in (approx.26) and the strumming starts, the acoustic guitar seems a little boomy. Maybe dial back the bottom from this point on?

As I said, this is a magnificent job and a brilliant success as a collaboration so saying any thing negative make, me feel a bit churlish. Great work men and kudos to you both.

14. woodman

Thanks, Pete — always glad to hear your thoughts and appreciate you taking the time during your busy spell. ... Automated the low shelf rolloff point up a bit when all the other stuff starts coming in. Also touched up the bass per Dave's suggestion and brought the piano up a little less than a dB (.8, to be exact).

The new speakers did help, but it helped even more to have a partner with a good ear and lots of patience!

Good luck on your move — amid the chaos, don't forget about us here on the RIP!

http://soundcloud.com/the-woodshed/home-on-high

15. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

thanx Petey!

16. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

Nice job Woodman! One thing I hear and it maybe the soundcloud processing, it feels like there's a tad too much compression overall. You have any compression on the 2Bus master? If not it's probably the reprocessing soundcloud does.

17. woodman

I've got just enough compression on the output to tame the peaks, but played side by side with the Soundcloud version, there's no comparison ... even high-quality MP3s are treated roughly on audio host sites. I switched from Reverbnation to Soundcloud a year ago because the latter wasn't quite as bad, in my subjective opinion. Internet posting is a devil's bargain. :p

18. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

Preaching to the choir now!;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.