Fun with auto-trim tuners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kidmeatball, Jun 17, 2018.

1. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

I have a set of Planet Waves auto-trim tuners. The other day I'm rocking out some Veruca Salt, and blam, I blow the B string. No worries, I think to myself, I wanted to put new strings on anyway.

For those of you who've never heard of these tuners, they are pretty slick. You aim the through hole in the machine parallel with the neck then you feed the string all the way through with just the tiniest bit of slack, then you tighten up the lock on the bottom of the tuner. This clamps down on the string holding it tight inside the pin. Then, when you tune to pitch, it snaps off any excess string. Super fast and super easy.

Until a little tiny bit of a B string gets jammed in the thing!

I'm away from home for work for a couple weeks so of course I only have a barebones kit with me. No wrenches, only a screwdriver (that doesn't help me at all) and of course the place I'm staying at has only a pair of pliers, a hairpin, a paper clip, and a lighter for tools.

I managed to extricate the practically microscopic chunk of string using the pliers to hold on to one of the lengths of excess string cut from the rest of the set (the end of the D string with the core sticking out) to sort of ram the little chunk through the hole. Phew!

Anyway, don't let this deter you from trying these tuners out. They are really good. Nice 18:1 ratio. Strings change in seconds, (usually :cry: ) and they stay in tune.

For anyone who does have these and has some experience, is there a way to prevent this happening in the future?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.