Fun things happen at gigs.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
The last gig i played was in a squatt, but a cool one. So we did a quick soundcheck, but sound checking is pretty useless in a empty squatt. We blew up a few balloons to add a party feeling, and then it came time to play.

My monitor was way, way too loud, so i ask the soundguy to turn it down a bit. Well he wasn't behind the board. That is okay, i will wait until he comes back. 3 songs later i had him turn my monitor down.

Then the fun started. The guy turning on the smoke machine decided it was his time to fill the stage with smoke, a lot of it. So much of it that it turned the fire alarm on. So the next few tunes were played with no lights, and the fire alarm blaring on.

Then I was wondering why i couldn't hear the kick drum anymore, and looking at the drummer bashing away on the the tom drum, i knew he broke his pedal. Sometimes you just can't fight it. I still had a good time, because it was fun.

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
Played a battle of the bands once at a bowling alley. The format was a different band each week for 10 weeks and the audience would vote. They threw sheets of plywood over the front portion of the middle 4 or 5 lanes and that was the stage. Our night happened to be the same night as the high school graduation so there was nobody there except for maybe a dozen of our friends and the league bowlers who were bowling on either side of us and were clearly irked that not all of the lanes were available. Our PA was the most cobbled together fire hazard you ever saw. We did our thing and got paid $100 which we blew on beer and Chinese food after the gig. Needless to say we did not win the battle of the bands. I really wish someone had taken pictures.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
The last gig i played was in a squatt, but a cool one. So we did a quick soundcheck, but sound checking is pretty useless in a empty squatt. We blew up a few balloons to add a party feeling, and then it came time to play.

My monitor was way, way too loud, so i ask the soundguy to turn it down a bit. Well he wasn't behind the board. That is okay, i will wait until he comes back. 3 songs later i had him turn my monitor down.

Then the fun started. The guy turning on the smoke machine decided it was his time to fill the stage with smoke, a lot of it. So much of it that it turned the fire alarm on. So the next few tunes were played with no lights, and the fire alarm blaring on.

Then I was wondering why i couldn't hear the kick drum anymore, and looking at the drummer bashing away on the the tom drum, i knew he broke his pedal. Sometimes you just can't fight it. I still had a good time, because it was fun.
Well, at least the squatters had it together enough to have a working fire alarm.

Maybe the ghost ship fire put people on notice.

Zoso420

Tele-Holic
Playing the Florabama on a sunday evening. An older lady did a split in the middle of the dance floor.......she was stuck down there until the song was almost over and a gentleman helped her up. My old bands 2nd or so gig a flirty lady made sure to tell all the band memebers she was a junior miss and "she's a good moma because she brest fed all her childrens". She then proceeded to show the goods....

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
- Played a gig back in school, the drum set was on a wooden stage without a carpet. So, at every beat of the bassdrum it would just fly away. Finally a girl came up for the rest of the gig and held the bassdrum in place. Must have been a blast for her...
- Played a gig with a very well known band from Germany in the local hockey stadium. When we were about to do the soundcheck and had our equipment at the side of the stage, ready, to bring it up. Suddenly a few guys pick up our amps and bring them away, we were yelling at them to stop, thinking, they were stealing the stuff. Turns out, they were the roadies to bring the stuff up on stage. I felt like a rockstar.
Same Gig: our singer and me had a bad case of flu that day, fever and all. It was the hottest day of the year. My friend said, gis grandma always told him garlic and lemonjuice would help. And as grandma cannot be wrong, we ate pizza with tons of garlic and drank lemon juice.
When we finished the gig and the main act went on stage, my singer burst into laughing. I asked, why. He said : "Look, the singer is using the mic I used before!" The guy didn't even blink, very respectable.
- I once came late from work to a gig, hadn't eaten all day, 10 minutes until stage, so I just asked for 3 beer and drank them in an instant. During the gig I kicked the power supply of my guitarist's board out of the plug socket 3 times, but always managed to wonder, why his sound went off and always found the problem and plugged the power supply back in. Then I fell off the stage. And then I broke the microphone stand as I was impersonating David Lee Roth. Then a blackout. After the gig, when we got paid, the organizer just looked into my face mesmerized and said: Drunk as f***
Very embarrassing...
- We played once for a russian crowd and there were a bunch of cliche russian mafia guys in the audience. Before the gig I implored my band to do a cover of a russian Metal song, which we practiced and were ready to play. We played our set and these guys mentioned were just looking pretty pissed all the time. I was really a little worried when it came to play the russian cover song. But when we played it, man, total mayhem, it was like being Slayer or the like, people went crazy. They took us from the stage on their shoulders and treated us like rockstars. Crazy.
- I also remember a gig, where we had to take 3 cars to get our equipment to the gig. One of the cars was mine, an old VW Jetta II, champagne gold, beige interior and brown plasics. Yeah, I know...
Well, after the gig which was downtown in a football capital of Germany and a match just ended, I got my car to pack up some stuff. While doing so, hundreds of fans came by and started to laugh about my ugly car and asking me, if I was mental to drive such a thingy. Then they started to shake the car and I began to worry. One of the hools said "man, what an ugly car, man, in CHAMPAGNE!!!" and then his boss or someone with authority yelled at him to stop and said "Man, you obviously don't know sh**, that colour is Mexico Beige, an original VW colour only offered for a few years". Somehow, all were shooked by that statement and just went their way. That was kind of hilarious.

Gris

Tele-Meister
Once I was soloing only to feel someone leaning back to back against me. It was a flute player soloing into my vocal mic. We proceeded to trade licks over a very extended solo. The crowd loved it. Afterwards, I politely pushed him off the stage.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I first got back into playing music in the late 90's.
A friend and his wife (who played bass... barely) still played music so they let me join in some gigs to get my chops back.
SO we are playing a halloween gig at a bar. The second set we get back on stage.
The wife is back on stage with her bass but jabbering on and on to a woman she knows, who is in front of the stage.
We start the first song and it just doesn't sound right to me... I'm looking around trying to figure it out....
I look back and she has forgotten to turn her bass amp on.... but she is playing her bass! Too busy talking to notice.
It's loud, so I yell: "You forgot to turn your amp on!"
She gives me a grouchy look and continues talking to her friend.
Again I yell: "your amps not on!"
Now she's mad... she turns to me and says: "I am NOT jabbering on!"
I point to the pilot light on her amp!
😂

Doctor of Teleocity
When I first started out playing solo shows, I was up on a stage in this bar with a bit of a rough reputation, and this older guy came up and asked me if I’d sing a song for his daughter, who was a ways back, sitting with the rest of her family.

I didn’t really know what to do, because the whole family was there, all dressed up, and stood in stark contrast to the weathered patrons slumped over the bar.

So I picked up my wedge and hopped down off the stage, drug it along with my guitar, cables and mic stand closer to where they were, and then did a ballad. I think the girl might’ve even been given a chair closer to where my cords ran out of length. So I sang the song, they smiled and applauded, and then I picked up the monitor and mic stand real quick, heaved them back up on the stage, and continued the set.

Still don’t know why I did that, but I guess it was the way he asked that made me feel like just doing the song from the stage wasn’t going to be good enough.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
- Played a gig back in school, the drum set was on a wooden stage without a carpet. So, at every beat of the bassdrum it would just fly away. Finally a girl came up for the rest of the gig and held the bassdrum in place. Must have been a blast for her...
We played a dance in a high school gym, drummer forgot his rug so we nailed the kick drum to the gym floor. I said "check" really loud over the mic, each time he swung the hammer.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Via Tuck Andress

Bad Gigs by Tuck Andress (of Tuck & Patti)

Borrowed guitar, different string spacing, bridge or nut sliding during string bending or vibrato, wrong strap length or strap breaking during solo, unwound guitar string used as backup strap gradually cutting through shirt and shoulder, sleeve snagging on bridge suddenly locking up hand,

wrong pick, dropped pick, broken pick, no pick, pick stuck between strings, finger caught between strings, wrong strings, dead strings, sticky strings, blood on strings, broken strings, no extra strings, jar of honey spilled all over strings,

vintage L-5’s gig bag shoulder strap breaking immediately before album release concert for 5,000 people causing guitar to fall on concrete and creating crack from tailpiece to neck which gradually splits apart during performance with action getting higher and higher,

amp too far away, amp too close, amp broken so play through bass amp or P.A., tone all wrong, overdrive bypass switch broken, cymbal in ear, band too loud, audience too loud, band downstairs too loud, bad monitors, no monitors, in-ear monitors broken so Patti is heard acoustically but Tuck is heard only through house PA 50 yards away resulting in Tuck being unavoidably out of sync with Patti by 1/6 second for whole show, guitar buzz, RF from nearby transmitter louder than the music itself, brownouts making organ pitch fluctuate randomly over an octave range, power outage, equipment plugged into 230 volts immediately before show,

earthquake during show in high-rise, outdoor desert performance at 131 degrees with sand-blasting winds, sub-freezing outdoor mountaintop performance with snow storms and 40 mph winds, high altitude dizziness,

no sleep, no food, too much food, wrong food, food poisoning, fever, locked bathrooms, way too many liquids before long show, nagging suspicion that zipper is down,

contact lens falling out during moment of peak concentration, compromised hand position due to repeatedly sliding full width of stage while trying to keep playing but not collide with Patti on yacht in rough Finnish Gulf of Bothnia,

charts blown away by wind, charts on thermal fax paper, charts in wrong key, charts without bar lines, charts with bar lines all displaced by two beats, charts in bass clef or C clef, chord charts with do/re/mi (France) instead of C/D/E and everything else in Portuguese,

realization that Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Joe Pass, George Benson, Chaka Khan, Bobby McFerrin or Steve Gadd just walked in,

drunks falling on stage, drunks disrobing on stage, drunks grabbing instruments or band members, band members falling asleep during song, pigs frolicking in sawdust-covered frat house knocking over band equipment, thinly veiled animosity between bride’s and groom’s families erupting into violence during heartfelt version of My Romance,

nightly juggling of playing and operating the lighting console/footswitches and talking to audience members and trying to reign in tempos and egos of various fellow top-40 band members, arrival at duo gig with unbelievably loud, aggressive fuzz-wah hard rock bass player to discover that assignment is to back up elderly white-haired and white- suited gentleman singing unfamiliar country songs to unforgiving patrons, crowded upscale happy hour dance floor unraveling into pandemonium as normal-looking customers all collapse to the floor and writhe around on each other while astonished saxophone-playing duo partner walks out leaving helpless solo guitarist playing The Hustle for 25 minutes,

funk bass player imprisoned in lounge band insisting on popping strings throughout sensitive ballads, accidental imprisonment of Patti in wine cellar out of earshot during guitar instrumentals,

onstage and on- instrument living creatures with varying numbers of legs, belligerent drunken bowling alley lounge customer demanding that funk band play Debussy’s Clair de Lune while remainder of band looks expectantly at guitarist,

drummer watching ball game on portable TV with headphones throughout performance, guest singer repeatedly changing keys at random moments, realization that the people who have just boldly picked up instruments and are unexpectedly sitting in are Herbie Hancock and Wah Wah Watson, guns drawn at rehearsals to settle disputes about form of song,

marginally famous singer resorting to the dreaded “Do you know who I am” line, drummer and delusional would-be front man jumping off the drums in the middle of a song and mistakenly chanting “we don’t need no drummer to keep that funky beat” to a dance floor packed with suddenly hostile former dancers,

unstable band member deciding that it is his responsibility to educate the audience over the microphone, bass player playing random notes and rhythms because he is not a bass player at all but nonetheless booked the gig,

drummer announcing that he killed somebody just before the show, swimming pool party turning into orgy with splashing on inexperienced solo electric guitarist sitting beside pool doing his first solo gig and fielding endless requests for the same song he had just played yet again,

bride’s and groom’s special song evaporating from mortified solo musician’s mind at the crucial moment, band member disappearing suddenly when his chair falls backwards off riser, unstable enormous man peaking on LSD brandishing artificial limb removed from his companion at audience and threatening band to “sing with this”, mirrors on back wall of club causing introspective young guitarist to question meaning of his life at early stage in career.

Last edited:

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
In a tiny bar, in a tiny town, maybe 25 souls including us. Gig is going as expected, running through the set. All of the sudden the bar empties out, only us playing to nobody. We finish the song and play another, still nobody, no bartender, no waitress, no passed out drunks. So we put down our instruments and walk outside. There's a fire across the street, almost everyone is getting the fire equipment out of the volunteer fire house about 1/2 block away. We all jump in to help; 30-45 minutes later the fire is out. Everybody plus a few more, wonder back in to that tiny bar, free beer for all and the rock show continues. Burn'n down the house.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
My uncle sat in on bass with my grunge band once. We were covering something. He sat down on my old ampeg SS amp that was designed to be able to lean back. You've seen them, trust me.

So, the amp is at the back of the stage, between the drums and a guitar cabinet.
My uncle was an alcoholic, and decided to sit down on the bass amp to rest his legs.

We're playing, the bass cuts out, everyone is looking behind me. Then the drums stopped.

My uncle took a tumble off the back of the stage. We ran over, and he appeared to have landed on his neck and shoulders.

However, he cradled the bass and proclaimed "it's still in tune!" And refused to move until someone took the bass so it wouldn't get "knocked out of tune".

Go him pulled up, people clapped, he didn't try sitting down until after he was done playing.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Via Tuck Andress

Borrowed guitar, different string spacing, bridge or nut sliding during string bending or vibrato, wrong strap length or strap breaking during solo, unwound guitar string used as backup strap gradually cutting through shirt and shoulder, sleeve snagging on bridge suddenly locking up hand,

wrong pick, dropped pick, broken pick, no pick, pick stuck between strings, finger caught be

Tp color2 400x400
tween strings, wrong strings, dead strings, sticky strings, blood on strings, broken strings, no extra strings, jar of honey spilled all over strings,

vintage L-5’s gig bag shoulder strap breaking immediately before album release concert for 5,000 people causing guitar to fall on concrete and creating crack from tailpiece to neck which gradually splits apart during performance with action getting higher and higher,

amp too far away, amp too close, amp broken so play through bass amp or P.A., tone all wrong, overdrive bypass switch broken, cymbal in ear, band too loud, audience too loud, band downstairs too loud, bad monitors, no monitors, in-ear monitors broken so Patti is heard acoustically but Tuck is heard only through house PA 50 yards away resulting in Tuck being unavoidably out of sync with Patti by 1/6 second for whole show, guitar buzz, RF from nearby transmitter louder than the music itself, brownouts making organ pitch fluctuate randomly over an octave range, power outage, equipment plugged into 230 volts immediately before show,

earthquake during show in high-rise, outdoor desert performance at 131 degrees with sand-blasting winds, sub-freezing outdoor mountaintop performance with snow storms and 40 mph winds, high altitude dizziness,

no sleep, no food, too much food, wrong food, food poisoning, fever, locked bathrooms, way too many liquids before long show, nagging suspicion that zipper is down,

contact lens falling out during moment of peak concentration, compromised hand position due to repeatedly sliding full width of stage while trying to keep playing but not collide with Patti on yacht in rough Finnish Gulf of Bothnia,

charts blown away by wind, charts on thermal fax paper, charts in wrong key, charts without bar lines, charts with bar lines all displaced by two beats, charts in bass clef or C clef, chord charts with do/re/mi (France) instead of C/D/E and everything else in Portuguese,

realization that Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Joe Pass, George Benson, Chaka Khan, Bobby McFerrin or Steve Gadd just walked in,

drunks falling on stage, drunks disrobing on stage, drunks grabbing instruments or band members, band members falling asleep during song, pigs frolicking in sawdust-covered frat house knocking over band equipment, thinly veiled animosity between bride’s and groom’s families erupting into violence during heartfelt version of My Romance,

nightly juggling of playing and operating the lighting console/footswitches and talking to audience members and trying to reign in tempos and egos of various fellow top-40 band members, arrival at duo gig with unbelievably loud, aggressive fuzz-wah hard rock bass player to discover that assignment is to back up elderly white-haired and white- suited gentleman singing unfamiliar country songs to unforgiving patrons, crowded upscale happy hour dance floor unraveling into pandemonium as normal-looking customers all collapse to the floor and writhe around on each other while astonished saxophone-playing duo partner walks out leaving helpless solo guitarist playing The Hustle for 25 minutes,

funk bass player imprisoned in lounge band insisting on popping strings throughout sensitive ballads, accidental imprisonment of Patti in wine cellar out of earshot during guitar instrumentals,

onstage and on- instrument living creatures with varying numbers of legs, belligerent drunken bowling alley lounge customer demanding that funk band play Debussy’s Clair de Lune while remainder of band looks expectantly at guitarist,

drummer watching ball game on portable TV with headphones throughout performance, guest singer repeatedly changing keys at random moments, realization that the people who have just boldly picked up instruments and are unexpectedly sitting in are Herbie Hancock and Wah Wah Watson, guns drawn at rehearsals to settle disputes about form of song,

marginally famous singer resorting to the dreaded “Do you know who I am” line, drummer and delusional would-be front man jumping off the drums in the middle of a song and mistakenly chanting “we don’t need no drummer to keep that funky beat” to a dance floor packed with suddenly hostile former dancers,

unstable band member deciding that it is his responsibility to educate the audience over the microphone, bass player playing random notes and rhythms because he is not a bass player at all but nonetheless booked the gig,

drummer announcing that he killed somebody just before the show, swimming pool party turning into orgy with splashing on inexperienced solo electric guitarist sitting beside pool doing his first solo gig and fielding endless requests for the same song he had just played yet again,

bride’s and groom’s special song evaporating from mortified solo musician’s mind at the crucial moment, band member disappearing suddenly when his chair falls backwards off riser, unstable enormous man peaking on LSD brandishing artificial limb removed from his companion at audience and threatening band to “sing with this”, mirrors on back wall of club causing introspective young guitarist to question meaning of his life at early stage in career.
This. All of this. And then some.

radtz

Tele-Afflicted
Via Tuck Andress

wrong pick, dropped pick, broken pick, no pick, pick stuck between strings, finger caught be

Tp color2 400x400
tween strings, wrong strings, dead strings, sticky strings, blood on strings, broken strings, no extra strings, jar of honey spilled all over strings,

All of that and the question I'm left with is: How did honey get spilled on his strings?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’ve seen many fights (not lately), horses ridden into bars (twice), nudity, and guns shown (luckily not fired).
I saw a bride get bloodied, in her gown, in a brawl at her reception, in northern British Columbia.
We played a set, attempted another, and split.
We were (blessedly) pre paid.
The first horseman, in Texas just rode uneventfully through the bar.
The second, in Grande Prairie, Alberta got hauled off his horse, and decked with one punch at a casino/bar by the venue owner.
Luckily, only the horseman was hurt.
The nudity involved a young woman, again in northern BC.
She went to the back of the bar, removed her tank top, turned it inside out, and put it back on, sans foundation garment.
Her show trumped ours, briefly.

suave eddie

Friend of Leo's

OK, I'll be the one to ask.

What is a squatt?

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
OK, I'll be the one to ask.

What is a squatt?
Actually it was not really a squatt, it was an espace autogéré but i don't even what know it means in french, so i didn't try to translate that.

A squatt can refer to many things. It is usually people getting in an empty building and living there without the governement approval, or paying rent. Think punks. You guys don't have those sort of things ?

they range from dirty, occupied by gutter punks with dogs and addiction problems to places which are just plain awesome, with loads of arts in them, cool people, and clean. Both are ok, though i can remember trying to avoid dog poos inside some places, and not drinking from the bottle which was handed to me opened.

WireLine

Tele-Afflicted
Some memorable ones:

As a teenager on break playing a New Years thing in the middle of a roller skating rink, some skater lost control and rolled right over another players 53 tele. Neck snapped.

Guy pulls a gun in a rough Odessa Tx venue, another one shot him before he could get a round off

Ex girlfriend started a fight with the then current girlfriend…left em both there

Gig evacuated by sheriff department dressed in HAZMAT clothing because of an H2S gas leak 3 blocks over

Fingernail on right middle finger split, string went under my nail…had to cut the string off guitar, then pulled the remnant out with pliers. Yes, I had to be be totally wasted to allow this.

Just a few…