Fun Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TobyZ28, Sep 26, 2021.

1. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

Hi all, so I've spent this Sunday morning googling and reading all sorts of stuff on speakers/impedance/tube amp vs SS amps/ Guitar Amps vs Hi Fi Amps/Impedance Matching/ etc.
    I'm trying to:
    • Figuring out how to best arrange a set of speakers I have salvaged for use in a small practice cabinet for a couple of homebuilt amps (A 5E3 and RR-JCM800 Micro EF80). Both are 8 Ohm outputs
    • Learn - This is more an experiment for me than long term solution ;), but I'd like to learn as much as I can up front before pulling out a soldering iron.
    I have salvaged 4x 12ohm 15W 3" Speakers and 1x 4ohm 90w ~6.5-7" Woofer from a TV sound bar.

It seems like speakers, impedance matching, tube amps, tone etc. can very easily evolve into an extremely deep technical and subjective discussion. My question is a simple one, which option below is most likely to sound better based on your own personal experience/expertise? I fully realize there are a crap-ton of unknown variables that may affect the end result, a general guess is OK.

upload_2021-9-26_10-37-19.png
    is it the 7 or 8 Ohm circuit above (yes each resistor is meant to represent a speaker lol)? Is it more important to match the 8Ohm Impedance of the amps or better to to get "1 more" 3 inch speaker in for more mid/upper emphasis? Should I just ditch the sub and do things tottaly differently (I did some tinkering/testing with the sub and jumper wires and it didn't sound all that bad)

Any thoughts/Opinions are very welcome!

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

The 1 Ohm won't make a difference worth mentioning.

The efficiency of the speakers would be of interest, but if you want to try them together and hear how they sound, have at it.

radiocaster and TobyZ28 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.