Fun lumberyard project - a surf green Port Orford Cedar Tele with JM neck pickup

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I didn't know quite what to make of this comment. Is the problem that I put a color on it instead of leaving it natural? If so I don't find plain POC that interesting to look at, making it a perfect candidate for a semi-translucent finish imo. (That being said I've made a couple POC guitars with natural finishes too). If the problem is that I used a piece of POC at all, then I don't understand this, since it was going to be used for decking most likely if I didn't turn it into a guitar.
I am sure @oldunc meant no offense, and neither did I. He said it was a personal preference, leaving wood grain visible. It is for me, too. We're both heavily outnumbered, as TDPRI photos will bear out. Your surf green tele is a beauty: wear it out!

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
I didn't know quite what to make of this comment. Is the problem that I put a color on it instead of leaving it natural? If so I don't find plain POC that interesting to look at, making it a perfect candidate for a semi-translucent finish imo. (That being said I've made a couple POC guitars with natural finishes too). If the problem is that I used a piece of POC at all, then I don't understand this, since it was going to be used for decking most likely if I didn't turn it into a guitar.
Supplies in your area are apparently much greater than in mine- the thought of using it for decking kind of blows me away, but my experience of the wood is old and limited largely to the perfect vertical grain pieces used in boatbuilding and guitar making that are imported here. Also there has been ongoing work in cultivating the trees; in short, maybe my info on supply is out of date. My objection is to the use of such a highly functional wood as basically an inert object and to using a beautiful piece of wood in a situation where it can't be seen- as I say, I'm dubious about the advisability of bringing up the objections- it's your piece of wood to do with as you would.