1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fulltone RTO - anyone got one, love it, hate it?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Apr 19, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I had one of these, the Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive, back in 2015 and eventually sold it - don't remember why but probably financial needs at that time and of the pedals I had, it would provide the most coin - I remember liking it, but I don't actually remember its sound that well. I wrote a rather thorough review here and apparently I liked it as much as I remember liking it.

Fast-forward 5+ years, my whole setup has changed around - had a very clean jazz amp back then, now a tweed (Mesa Cali-Tweed) and I want to revisit this pedal. Seems its a TS pedal, an expensive one at that, based on 11 Gauge's analysis later on in that same thread. My comparison to the Saucy box apparently didn't pass muster (no disrespect to Keith.)

Just wondering those who have them what are your thoughts on it? Is it that close to a TS sonically or different enough? Where does it shine or fall short?

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    TeleTex82 and That Cal Webway like this.
  2. bluesholyman

Nothing...a bit surprised, but not totally....guess I will have to figure this out....

@thunderbyrd do you still have yours?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

DC7AA2E6-CE42-44A1-AEB0-6480FAA8BAED.jpeg

That Cal Webway and bluesholyman like this.
  4. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I'm sorry I don't own one. My wish is to have more of the Fulltone products. My UniVibe they built is my favorite pedal. Robin Trower is one of my old favorites so I am sure I would like the pedal.

Deathray likes this.
  5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Rent To Own??

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  6. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

I have one, but I have to be honest, I use my OCD more. I think the OCD is more transparent (ugh, did I just say transparent OD:eek:) The RTO is definitely a very mid heavy pedal. I haven’t played through it in some time, maybe I ought to pull it out, and revisit.

bluesholyman likes this.
  7. bluesholyman

OCD is definitely a flatter EQ curve (transparent) than the mids-heavy RTO. RTO sounds a bit smoother though overall, but can do a decent imitation of an OCD when pushed.

Curious, about what serial# / revision is your OCD? I have heard (in person) 1.3s, 1.4s, 1.6s and 1.7s - they all sound a little bit different, with 1.3s having the most mids of any of them.

8. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

I forgot to look yesterday. I’ll check when I get home tonight. Old, feeble mind here

bluesholyman likes this.
  9. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

PM’d ;)

bluesholyman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.