Fulltone Ranger OC 75 review

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SelfGoverning, Jun 22, 2021.

1. SelfGoverning

SelfGoverning TDPRI Member

For many years I frequently played out with only an Analogman Beano Boost OC44 sitting on top of my amp. A couple of years ago I bought a Laney Black Country Customs treble booster but it never replaced the Beano Boost. I've tried the Sabra Cadabra (and really wanted to love it), but it was too difficult to dial in, too many knobs. Then came the Fulltone Ranger Oc75.

I bought the Fulltone on a whim, not really expecting it to overwhelm me by any means. For years I've tried all sorts of treble boosters but the Analogman always sounded best with my gear. Well, it only took about an hour of twiddling with the various settings to realize that this was a contender. For a month I played various repertoire with both pedals side by side and, much to my surprise, the Ranger ended up King of the Treble Boosters.

Keep in mind, the Ranger I have is the OC75 version, so I can't speak on the "stock" version. While the "full"" setting isn't useful to me, nor the last two settings (FS1, Highest), the three middle settings offer everything I could want. The "low-mid" and "mids" setting allow one to determine which mids are passed through the signal, neither of which sound like the Analogman "mids" setting. The "mids" setting sounds best when placed before a pre-amp or overdrive to push into distortion a bit. That's how I usually use this pedal, although for "always on" and sitting on top of the amp, the "low-mids" setting is very useful. The "full" setting sounds similar the the Analogman "low" setting.

Afer a search, I was suprised that nobody has reviewed this pedal here, it's really a nice booster.

2. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Great review. Glad you’re enjoying it.

I have a few treble boosters and don’t need a Ranger, but I’ve listened to a lot of demos and it seems like a great one. Any Fulltone with Germanium or Silicon transistors is usually excellent, in my experience.

Enjoy!

SelfGoverning likes this.
  3. SelfGoverning

SelfGoverning TDPRI Member

I see the blade humbuckers in your picture, what are those?

D_Malone likes this.
  4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

TV Jones Super’Trons. The guitar originally came with P-90s. Sounded nice, but not my cup of tea. TV Jones offers almost every pickup they make in P-90 size. I absolutely love the Super’Trons.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.