Fulltone Queen Bee fuzz

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by D_Malone, Jun 16, 2021.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I love this pedal. Kinda straddles the line between fuzz and distortion in my opinion. It seems to have all the pros of many iconic fuzz pedals, and omits most of the cons. The demos below are pretty much exactly what I’m getting out of it. Gorgeous harmonically-rich tone, and the feel is incredible. Like a lot of fuzz pedals I think the Queen Bee sounds best with the gain (“buzz”) at max. With the guitar volume rolled back a bit you get a bouncy, dynamic crunch. It really feels like you’re connected and interacting with it. With the guitar volume at 100% it’s saturated with tons of sustain, yet not muddy and still responds to picking dynamics. Clean-up is close to a FF, but you need to roll the guitar volume back to about 10% to get it. There’s always a touch of dirt, but it’s fairly clean if you pick softly. It’s also a beautifully built box, in my opinion. Looks and feels very high quality. Noise level is quite acceptable considering the absolute ****load of gain and volume on tap. I’m no Fulltone fanboy, but this one is a gem. Really inspiring.

2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

What do you think it takes after? Muff, Tonebender, Maestro, FF, ???

Sounds good from those demos, but having trouble placing its roots....

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I thought maybe it was based on an old Bee Baa given the name but from the sound, the way it cleans up, and the switch arrangements I don't think it is trying to be like a Bee Baa. (I had an original way back around 1979). With the clean up behavior I also don't think it's in the Muff World. More likely something more similar to a Fuzz Face although their website says it has 3 transistors, not two.

4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Fuller claims it’s an original design. I haven’t a clue, but to my ears it has the qualities of a FF, Tone Bender, Muff, and Buzzaround all rolled into one.

5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

so basically a Tone Muff Bender Face...

RetroTeleRod and D_Malone like this.
  6. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Sure, why not? :)

Honestly, despite the poor quality, the demos I posted are pretty accurate. Doesn't really sound like any particular fuzz, but shares attributes with some iconic ones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.