1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fulltone Octafuzz- Is it supposed to do this?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TelZilla, Mar 21, 2019.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Just got an Octafuzz, and I have a question. When I have it in octo mode, it seems like it has a distinct wobble in volume- If I hit an E chord and hold it, say, it gets louder and quieter for maybe five seconds, then it seems like the octave effect fades and as it does, the volume returns to full. I don;t notice it as much with single note stuff, but it is still there.

This doesn't happen if I set it just to fuzz. I'm using a brand new 9 volt battery.

Is this just what these octave fuzzes do, or does this sound like something weird? Thanks.
    N

AxeVictimAZ likes this.
  2. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

Octave fuzzes track weirdly on chords, can you record it somehow? Might be wrong but might be just the octave fuzz thing as well

AxeVictimAZ and telemnemonics like this.
  3. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Yes that would be normal. The octavia part is more akin to a ring modulator, so two notes played simultaneously can get rapidly discordant depending on the interval. If you have one of the dual mode Octafuzz pedals, the fuzz part will allow for simple power chords. The octavia circuit is really meant for playing single notes, and works best with the neck pickup. An Octavia based circuit just doesn't like multiple notes. The FT Octafuzz is based on a Tycho Brahe which was lifted from one of Jimi's original pedals that were devised by the genius Roger Mayer. The sound of this circuit is still best exemplified by Hendrix on the leads to Purple Haze and One Rainy Wish. Mayer's Axis Fuzz does chords better.

Most fuzz pedals just don't do chords very well which is why many guitarists often get frustrated with fuzz pedals. They just don't do chords very well-something about odd harmonics in conjunction with square waves cause dissonance. It is also why many guitarists prefer distortion or overdrive pedals to fuzz pedals. I personally love fuzz and especially love octave fuzz pedals. They almost all work best for single note riff or leads.If used with the right intervals, this discordance can become quite musical. The Foxx Tone Machine can kind of do simple chords in its octave mode. The Big Muff and some Tonebender circuits do chords okay.

AxeVictimAZ likes this.
  4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Play a double stop and you can get some fun inter-modulation stuff going on.

4pickupguy and AxeVictimAZ like this.
  5. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Thanks all. I dont really mind the warble. I know this is a low-fi device, not an ehx POG. Just wanted to make sure its working right.

I actually love the straight fuzz sound.

AxeVictimAZ likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I find I need to approach the Octafuzz (real ones with the transformer inside) as an instrument of its own.
    I don't find it requires use of the neck pickup as is commonly suggested, but you have to do stuff it does well.

AxeVictimAZ likes this.
  7. AxeVictimAZ

AxeVictimAZ Tele-Holic

This is a good description! I have this pedal and it takes some getting used to,to get it how you want it to sound.
    It prefers single coil pickups but will work with humbuckers.
    I find neck pickup (Strat) with volume backed off just a bit and tone also backed off just a bit and playing near the 12th fret is the best combination.
    Not something one wants to use all the time but is a great effect when the time is right.

8. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

I normally only play single note lines with my octave fuzz pedals. Occasional double stops are good fun, because you never know what you will get. But I never play chords with octave fuzz - it would just be a mess.

9. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

I’m assuming that the OP was actually asking about the “sag” that the Octafuzz (and other tyco clones) can have when turning up the boost very high, and not the dissonance when playing two notes simultaneously. Yes, the sag is normal, but I find that it is more extreme on the Fulltone than on my VL Proctavia. I still prefer the Fulltone overall, however. Ymmv.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Play some close triad and listen to the madness. Bend two notes and you’ll get a sub overtone that is very weird and glitchy. As for a volume problem, never experienced that with my Lotus Octah.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.