1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fulltone '69 power supply

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by znanjeiimanje, Apr 13, 2020.

1. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

I have a Fulltone '69 and due to the reversed polarity (+ is on the inside) I have been running it on batteries.

I am also running an isolated power supply for the rest of my pedals (handmade by my father) which has been working perfectly fine.

As the '69 has a reversed polarity (and I also am in the market for an OCD), would it be ok to reverse one of the daisy chain cables for the polarity and use it for these two pedals only?

2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Fuzz = Batteries

3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I think you can just use one of those polarity reversing cables. That’s what I use for my reverse polarity pedals from isolated power supplies for positive center pedals. My OCD, OTOH uses normal power, center negative.

znanjeiimanje likes this.
  4. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

On its own isolated supply output? Sure. On a daisy chain? I dunno man sounds like a bad idea.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

As long as you use a polarity reverse adapter, it'll work. Fuzzes work best with batteries from the dollar store, though.

Shango66 likes this.
  6. kaludjerko

kaludjerko Tele-Meister

Hi ZnanjeImanje (cool nick :D)
    Just that we are on the same page:
    Do you have original pedal from Fulltone or clone of some sort?
    Just for a refernce I've included picture of the current 69. Wiring in deed shows that power supply polarity is reverse to Boss power supply standard (tip negative, ring positive).
    This means that you have two options, to use a single isolated output from your power supply, ONLY for this one pedal, and reverse polarity of that power cable.
    Other is to use dedicated wall wart.
    What beyer160 is refering to are zinc-carbon bateries and depending on where your location is, they might be in short supply. Main thing that makes them unique is their internal resirstance, that can be simulated via resistor or even pot in series with your power supply. This you could incorporate anyway, since you're making new calble anyway.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/batteryz.htm

I can not find original article where recommended value has been referenced, but if my memory is correct, it was ~5k Ohm.

Attached Files:

7. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

We seem to be originally from the same part of the world :)

It is an original Fulltone, like in the picture you posted.

I am currently living in Mexico, so zinc-carbon batteries are a bit hard to come by unless I fly to the States. Here I'm playing only in my bedroom and I'm running a battery. Nevertheless, back home I would like to incorporate it to one of my pedalboards. The power supply I'm running is a home made isolated output 9v negative center (like in the picture).

Since mexican peso has dropped significantly, I intend also to get an OCD here which I will take with me back home so I thought of using one cable with reversed polarities to use just to power those two pedals. If I understood you, I shouldn't fry the pedal with it (due to the grounding)?

Attached Files:

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Threw tape over the connector to prevent the inevitable and run those special “fuzz batteries” from guitar center. $6 bucks is too high to pay for a 9volt but they last forever in a fuzz.

9. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

I've built little voltage inverters on veroboard for each of my PNP fuzzes. Best thing I've done.

Drop me a line anyone who's interested.

10. kaludjerko

kaludjerko Tele-Meister

From your photo i can not see how many outputs you have on your power supply. Essentially, you need power supply that has more than one isolated output. You want to use ONE of them ONLY for your fuzz, when you reverse polarity.
    If you are not absolutely sure, I would recommend that you stick to using bateries with 69, it is safer that way and bateries last a long time in fuzz face type of circuits.

11. kaludjerko

kaludjerko Tele-Meister

If you have some info, please do share.
    It is always nice to hear about your experience and observations.

Iago likes this.
  12. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

This is what I use and before using this one, I was burning opamps ALL the time. If the pedal is one of the newer PCB-built '69 fuzzes, it will be a little harder to implement, I imagine. Nothing too complicated though.

The advantages of using a voltage inverter are: 1- You can just use a regular center negative power supply to power your pedal; 2 - it can share a daisy chain with other center negative pedals, and 3 - the pedal will sound absolutely the same as when you use a center positive power supply. No extra noises or "worse tone".

PS: 100nf is just a regular film cap (appears kinda weird on the newest DIY Layout Creator version).

13. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Voice of experience: you can do it if the power supply has isolated outputs and each pedal runs from a single cable to the power supply (i.e. no daisy chain.) Reversing off of the daisy chain will ground the voltage and shut the thing down - anything attached may or may not fair well....

14. BulletLee

BulletLee TDPRI Member

I'm pretty sure my 2 OCDs (v1.7 and 2.0) are both center negative. I would not daisy chain off from the '69 because it is not necessary. On those center positive pedals I always get a bit freaked out and just use the PSU that they are shipped with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.