Full-time dispersed camping/boondocking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Mar 30, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Any fulltime nomads here? Looks appealing, might take it up as well in a few years if I am still around.

2. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

DrPepper likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nomaddin' brings you into contact with more people, than being holed up in a Cabin with indoor water, power and freezer and all that.

I guess you could try to live off fresh caught fish and canned vegetables, but I found myself in contact with others more, while camping, than I sometimes am when I'm just at the apartment or something.

I don't think it is a surprise that more of us catch bugs, while on vacation than when we do a stay-cation instead.

DrPepper likes this.
  4. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks, cheaprvliving on utube has a ton of useful videos as well... Due to life, I am a minimalist of sorts...

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

No and yes. Before we ever thought we'd have kids a period was mostly travel and couch surfing in pursuit of fly fishing, skiing and mountain biking with some consulting, tech projects and fairly active stock trading buying the food.

Before all the great camper van options I had a custom pickup truck cap with crank our screen windows for when I'd sleep in it.

Now as a sexagenarian it seems less appealing to do it as basic as I did it.

A couple I know same age as me built a nice custom Sprinter, headed out for their year of dreams and I was surprised when she called me about a MTB trip (I'm married). I noticed their year of nomad/overlanding ended divorced a year later.

:)

6. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

Hearing that Billy Joe Royal song all day long would drive me crazy...

Stubee and DrPepper like this.
  7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Did it last year a little bit. LOVED IT! But it's tricky to go full time boon docker. You really have to beef up the electronics.

Planning on it again this June. Current events and not wanting to renew a lease has this looking good for me. Bought a new 25 foot Airstream which is about as much as I'd want to tow. Just bought Zamp solar panels and looking at a generator.

Check out a group called Escapees. There's a bit more to it than just hopping in and hitting the road but they have it down to a science.

There's a lady who publishes an ebook series "Frugal Shunpikers Guide" which is pretty much free boon docking camping. https://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/Ebooks.html

It's actually pretty fun! Once I got the hang of it I couldn't get enough! I soon found I had too small of a rig but even then it was ok.

8. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

Here’s your theme song:

2blue2 and Texicaster like this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's what my parents and siblings said!

:^)

In the end we didn't cover it anyway. It had fallen out of vogue, by then.

Btw I don't need to click on this Youtube. That song is now hardwired in me.

2blue2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.