Full size or HB size P90 in American Professional Tele

Chrisholmes90

TDPRI Member
I've had an American Pro tele for about a year now.

While I like it, I just can't quite get the balance right between the bridge and neck pickups. The bridge is a little hot, or if I drop it down it becomes too thin. It's also a little harsh at times, but that seems to be the tele vibe.

I'd been thinking of putting a P90 style p/up in the neck. Something that will still sound vaguely snappy/single coil-ish when in the middle position, but easier match the bridge in both output and not quite such a disparity between the brightness of the neck and bridge.

1) I gather the routing is the same as the American Standards, which would fit a HB size P90. I assume these wouldn't fit an actual P90?

2) Any suggestions on selections?

Cheers

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I get incredible tone from my Lollar 50's wind P90 in the neck of my tele. That pickup plus a good, slightly hot tele bridge pickup and the judicious use of the tone control gives a lot of great tones in one simple guitar.
The other P90 I have really loved is a Duncan Antiquity P90. They are pretty similar in spec (and in price I think).

In general I think a lot of the P90s out there are wound a little too hot for this application. Another option to consider is a good, vintage-output Mini humbucker. Besides bucking hum and looking cool, it also gives you a "darker but not muddy" neck tone with lots of ability to still cut through.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
maybe cut the cover out on the neck pup... or buy a cover thats already cut out. it really helped with the balance on mine. you can just take it off to try it but if you like it you will want the cut version. otherwise sometimes the string E string can get caught on the bobbin

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'd be tempted to try a Strat neck pickup (fairly hot?) first. The Tele neck pickup is a very different sounding beast for sure.

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
Im a bridge player 90% of the time. I dont use the neck pickup as much but when I do, its mostly to give the folks a break from cutting their heads too much with the bridge pickup. Heheh.

i had an ampro, and the way I set it was get the neck sounding good first, setting the pickup height sweet spot and then adjust the bridge to match volume and finding the sweet spot of that as well, in my ears, when I get a good tone out of both pickups individually, the middle position also sounds good and well balanced. Try that before changing anything