Full Retro Tweed Custom "Deluxe" made in Ohio

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by lil scotty, Jul 4, 2019.

1. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I’ve been lowering the price incrementally. I’m glad you think it’s a deal. I do too, but no bites on CL. I have an ad on Facebook too and came real
    close to selling it to a guy in CA, but he backed out. That rectifier question is out of my league!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Scotty, that rectifier tube, far left as we look at the back of the amp, looks too tall to be a 5Y3, which would be the normal rectifier for a 5y3. A GZ34 will work there in the sense that its current draw on the power transformer is the same as a 5ay3, but the GZ34 yields higher voltage and that affects the circuit...in effect rebiasing every tube in the amp. Whether or not one likes the results is another question. Of course, I am judging by a photo, so I could be wrong about what tube is there.
    As for getting Neil Young sounds out of a 5ay3, I have never had a problem with doing that with a full sized humbucker. That Firebird pickup, which is actually a pickup from Epiphone days....prior to Gibson buying Epi in 1957. That pickup does not have the oomph that a big Gibson Humbucker does, so bypassing the controls might be needed in order to get a 5Y3 ‘excited’ enough to do what Young wants done there. And...like the results or not....Neil Young knows how to get the sounds that he wants and always has a purposes for those sounds, ime.

bftfender likes this.
  3. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

How does the amp balance? The big speaker placed to the right would make the amp hang naturally from the left side of the handle.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Let the Force be with you?:lol:

Wally likes this.
  5. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I did not notice it tilting, but then again I always pick it up without using the handle. Right now speaker is out of it.

peteb likes this.
  6. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

You are correct: GZ34

Wally likes this.
  7. Wally

It would’ve of interest to do a voltage chart for that amp and figure the biasing numbers as well. The 5E3 should carry a 5Y3. With a GZ34, one would expect to see some high voltages. If it were mine, it would have a 5Y3 in it unless the voltages with the GZ34 are lower than one might suspect.

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I thought I had seen that one listed locally. I thought about it but I have too many amps...:rolleyes:

lil scotty likes this.
  9. Wally

One problem I would have in buying that amp would be the soldering....there are many eyelets that do not have a good solder joint made. That sort of work puts one off.....if one takes a look at things...because then one suspect other problems with the build.
    Another thing about that speaker is the impedance. I don’t see any impedance mark on the connection lug tab. If it is a 16 ohm, then I as a buyer would want to know what OT is there. If it is an 8 ohm OT, then I have another personal barrier to buying the amp because I do not like mismatches to the high side. If the OT is a 16 ohm OT, then at least the match was correct....but now I would have to have a 16 ohm speaker load. If the OT is a multi tap, that is a bonus.
    It is amazing how little things like this can put some people on alert....or turn them away before they ever get serious about the amp.
    That said, we’re I local to the sale, looked at in depth, and liked what I heard; I would have been interested....with the Blue in there....not because I would want to use the speaker but because it should sell in the market for a good piece of change.

10. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

it also looks like its in a Pro sized cabinet

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.