Full Retro Tweed Custom "Deluxe" made in Ohio

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by lil scotty, Jul 4, 2019.

1. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any idea of who built this thing? The cab is from Texas, Armadillo Amp Works--I know that doesn't help identify who made it in Ohio.
    TW5.jpg TW4.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have no idea, but a gut shot of the circuit would be interesting. And.....somebody must have walked some many miles with that amp in hand for that handle to be deformed in that manner!?!?!

lil scotty likes this.
  3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It’s pure speculation but there was a good amp builder in OH named Jade Lowery who marketed his amps by the name Twister. He was on the Ted Weber forum back when Ted was still with us. Nice guy, very skilled, but a poor businessman. He tried to expand and wasn’t able to deliver. Not sure what part of Ohio he was in. 2004 would predate his Twister line I believe.

lil scotty likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I like his slogan on the bottom of that label....."Plug in, turn up, and do not take lightly".....:)

Wally, lil scotty and drf64 like this.
  5. Wally

Maybe this twisted handle was the precursor to the TwIster model name????

emisilly, lil scotty and drf64 like this.
  6. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Wally, The amp came with a heavy Celestion Blue in it. I did not trust that handle. It's since been replaced but the amp still seems too heavy for the new handle. I'm considering selling the whole rig. I miss reverb and don't really want to go the pedal route for it. Here's gutshot: tweedguts.jpg

peteb likes this.
  7. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

No idea about that particular amp, but i bought a 5E3 from a guy going by the name Sligo Amplification, selling via eBay. It was in the early 2000s. I believe he was building Mojotone kits. didnt put a tube chart in his. I bought a Fender repro online to put in mine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

lil scotty likes this.
  8. drf64

That's a pricey speaker. You could get north of $200 for it if it is in mint condition. Now we know why the handle is twisted. It must weigh 50 lbs!

lil scotty likes this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah , you should offer it up without the speaker...

lil scotty likes this.
  10. Wally

Why would that speaker make that amp weigh 50 pounds? A Blue Alnico weighs 9.3 pounds. That might be 4-5 pounds heavier than say a ceramic speaker with only 25 watts of handling power. The Celestion V30, a 60 watt ceramic, weighs in at over 10 pounds. The modern Jensen P12Q with a handling capability of 40 watts weighs in at 4.1 lbs. that Blue Alnico has a handling capability rating of15 watts, fwiw. I know of no speaker that would make that amp weigh in at 50 pounds....unless the cab and baffleboard were made out of thick MDF maybe.

11. drf64

sheesh, speaker shaming is real. :lol:

I have 2 of them in a cab and it weighs a ton.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

See, I got that he was making a joke but I’m an electric imbecile . Being literal is probably one of the reasons why you’re a great tech Wally.

He was doing a comedic exaggeration.

Dean Zink struggles with any kind of humor but is one of the finest amp surgeons on the planet. Well, besides being an engineer, he’s also German so he’s really swimming upstream when the dum-dum’s start kidding around . I know, I’ve tried! :lol:

lil scotty, kris ford and drf64 like this.
  13. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

If it were mine I'd tell everybody Alejandro built it.

lil scotty and Mike Eskimo like this.
  14. Wally

Well, ime, humor has to be conveyed accurately no matter what the medium. I took the original statement about the weight to be literal since there was no indication of it being anything but serious. I was also naturally curious as to the weight of one of those Blues.....so I pulled out a C.E. distribution catalog to get the weight spec. It is heavy for a 15 watt speaker.......but for those who might not be acquainted with a pine box 5E3 with a single speaker in it, I had to clarify. If not, there would be a lot of young players who would start thinking that they could not possible lift even a 5E3...50 pounds!!!!! Oh, my, my, my....I could not possibly lift THAT much weight!
    Now, When I replaced the Emi ALK 1028s, which weigh 2.9 pounds, with some EVI/Force speakers, my two Super Champs went from weighing 24 pounds each to weighing 32.75 pounds each. I can only carry one guitar with those two amps...at one time. My, my, my....what’s an old man to do??????

lil scotty and Mike Eskimo like this.
  15. kris ford

kris ford TDPRI Member

Dean! GREAT guy! :D

I sat there and watched him basically re-do my '74 JMP Super Bass..and install a PPIMV..I think he had a mind meld with it. FAIR prices as well.

My amps will ONLY see Dean.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  16. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Great suggestion. I reached out to Jade Lowery from Twister Amps on FaceBook. He had no clue who built it but said, "I hope it sounds good." It does sound good.

drf64 likes this.
  17. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I posted about the amp when I first got it, about 18 months ago. Several people mentioned how pricey that speaker was. I did not know. I've listed the amp and speaker on CL here in Phoenix for months only to be met with very little interest--I do have the amp priced a little high. Next stop for speaker is Reverb.com where shipping will be outrageous, since the speaker weighs like 75lbs (I kid, settle down!)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Mike Eskimo and drf64 like this.
  18. Wally

mherrcat and lil scotty like this.
  19. Wally

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/msg/d/phoenix-full-retro-tweed-custom-deluxe/6925459670.html

That is a bargain price, imho....IF the amp sounds as good as it looks. I mean...at 75 pounds, that is only 67cents per pound, right!?! Is that a GZ34 rectifier? If so, why?

Mike Eskimo and lil scotty like this.
  20. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I'd put a cheaper speaker in it if you want to sell the blue separately. A listing with no speaker is going to turn off a lot of buyers.

As for the origin, my money is on it being some guys hobby build. It's good looking work though, custom board layout etc, definitely someone who knew what they were doing.

lil scotty likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.