Full open sounding neck pickup - not too much treble - any suggestions?

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Cavalier pickups. I have the Fat Lion/ Fat Lion King combo in my '62 Custom, and they are pretty great.

That said, before swapping out the pickups, you might try swapping out the electronics. The import stuff (on most brands) really deadens any life the pickups may have. Getting a solid set of pots/switches/capacitors/output jack really makes a difference. Plus, you can upgrade to a four-position switch at the same time for a series pickup configuration.

I like MojoTone, but there are plenty out there that are a step up from what came from the factory.

BIG +1 on this set. They are exceptional. The Fat Lion King neck is my favorite tele neck pickup. When paired with the Fat Lion bridge with 4-way switching, you get big fat twang, warm jazzy neck tones and parallel and series options that have a decidedly P90-like tone. Awesome in every position!

Reactions: don

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Here's a demo. The thing that (pleasantly) surprised me, is that the Fat Lion King doesn't completely abandon treble/clarity in spite of its considerable warmth. It sounds very good across the range of the tone control too. Pardon my sub-par playing...

wrr3

TDPRI Member
I write and record mostly roots and Americana style music and I'm always looking for a neck pickup thats full and open sounding not dull and compressed and not treble focused. I usually prefer over wound bridge pickups to avoid that typical country pickin' treble and I picked up a 2018 Classic Vibe 50's tele that feels great - the bridge pickup has a cool vibe but the neck pickup is lower output and unremarkable - any suggestions? BTW - I usually like the middle position more than most people!

Yes. The Bill Lawrence pickup for the neck position.

It fits the description of what you're looking for- not compressed but open sounding; full and well balanced.

chucker

Tele-Meister
Yes, use your ears not 'the specs!' when setting pickup heights and bass/treble tip. The specs are for factory consistency, not the best tone for all players.

If you are still fighting mud on the neck pickup while you really like the bridge pickup, then use a series cap on the neck pickup hot lead (0.047uF is a popular starting point). This will cut the effective capacitance in the pickup windings and cover so you'll get better tone out of it.

i wasn't aware this is done. any other examples of using capacitors in series?

JTStivers

TDPRI Member
Ask Fralin. His Tele neck pickups are magic. And if you have a question they will actually respond.

Agreed big time. I have a set of slightly overwounds and the neck pup has so much character. Here's a tune I wrote and recorded (), with all the fills and solo using that Fralin Tele neck pup (solo's around 3:25--no fills until second verse around 1:34. More wanking on the outro.). I think the "amp" was a Kemper patch--maybe a lightly juiced Matchless DC 30?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
actually... you can just take the cover off the neck pickup to see if you like the sound. if so, then either cut out your cover or get a premade one. odd as it sounds, without the cover you will sometimes get the high E string caught in the edge of the pickup bobbin

^This. I killed a Texas Special Tele neck pickup without its cover. I hooked the high E into the winds one too many times.

nic'o'caster

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a sucker for full open sounding neck pickups. The best I have is a Don Mare Big Box, then an Analogman Jim Weider Big-T made by Lindy Fralin. Other great neck pickups are the Twang King from DiMarzio and the Vintage+ from Harmonic Design. I like them because they sound like a traditional Tele neck pup, just bigger ! The Fender Twisted is cool but it's more a Strat pup, it sounds hollower...

spellcaster

Tele-Holic
In post #6, dogmeat made reference to metal open-faced collar that helps open the response of a pickup. I have a set of these on one of my Strats, on a set of Fender American Strat pickups. Having heard the same pickups with several different cover arrangements, I can attest to how well these collars work. I've never seen the ones marketed on eBay, but highly recommend the ones sold by Rockinger Guitars in Germany. Very high quality German Silver, and the company offers some of the fastest international service I've ever experienced. (Ordered from Germany on a Thursday, showed up at my door (on Vancouver Island, Canada) via DHL on Saturday morning.

https://www.rockinger.com/en/parts/...r-singlecoils/845/open-pickup-cover-for-strat

warchol

Tele-Meister
Full and open with a lot of clarity sounds like a Wilde (Bill Lawrence) L280TN neck pickup. Good output and very full range with plenty of smooth treble you can attenuate with the tone control if you want. Noiseless too, my current fave.

Cavalier Fat Lion King mentioned earlier it's very nice as well. Attenuated treble with a little more midrange.

Good luck in your quest.

+1 on the Lawrence PU's

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Agreed big time. I have a set of slightly overwounds and the neck pup has so much character. Here's a tune I wrote and recorded, with all the fills and solo using that Fralin Tele neck pup (solo's around 3:25--no fills until second verse around 1:34. More wanking on the outro.). I think the "amp" was a Kemper patch--maybe a lightly juiced Matchless DC 30?

Nice piece of work.

Churchjack

Tele-Holic
I would not hesitate to recommend a plain ol’ AmSeries Tele neck pickup from the two-thousand oughts. My favorite pickup in the house.