Full Hollowbody Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by overlook1977, May 15, 2021.

1. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Gretsch Anniversary. One of the best guitars I've ever owned.

anniv.jpg

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I love my 6118 (modded by me and Dick Dale)
    [​IMG]

3. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

How about a hollow body from a company created by several old line Gibson employees, working in the old Gibson Kalamazoo plant with workmanship that surpasses Gibson for probably 60% of the cost? Give The Heritage a look-see. Prices have risen lately, but a little patience can result in a jazzbox with killer appointments, feel, tone and knockout looks in the wood selections. I bought my Heritage H550 about 13 years ago for a grand, and felt like I stole it. Prices have risen considerably over the intervening years, but a H550 can still be obtained for a bit under $3K, if you look around. Here's mine: 20171114_133120.jpg 20171114_133052.jpg

4. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

It is a nice guitar and I wanted to like mine more. My bandmates and friends all liked it the best out of my guitars because it looked stunning. The tone never really did it for me and living in an apartment meant I had to keep my amp quiet so I heard more of the unplugged sound than anything else.

+1 about Heritage Guitars. I tried one once and it was superbly well made and sounded exquisite. The nut width was a touch narrow on the one I tried -- I don't know if that's a stock feature or a custom option -- but I would have bought it anyway if I could've afforded it then. I haven't come across another one locally but I've heard excellent things about them all around and would love to get one myself someday.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

another +1 for Heritage

I spent an hour with a 530 and a '67 Deluxe

good LORD

6. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Heritage, Guild x175, Gibson 175 but check out the lower end 125 too-those p90's sound good, never played one but I see folks playing really well with Eastman hollowbodies too

JRapp likes this.
  7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

[

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

The best sound I've heard from a new electric guitar was Gretsch's 53 duo jet reissue, for about $2,500. It may not look like a traditional archtop, but it's top is fully floating, and creates what I think is a perfect timbre for a hollowbody electric.

The budget archtops I've played in the last 20 years have all sounded terrible and dead, except those Godin archtops sound ok.

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. frank a

frank a Tele-Meister

Hey Heritage 530 is an awesome guitar! I also just picked up a Godin kingpin 2 for $700 and it’s pretty cool.

10. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

There's a natural (blonde) Heritage H575 for about 1850 on Reverb right now.

11. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Another vote for Gretsch. The 5420 Electromatic with Blacktop Filtertron pickups is an amazing guitar for well under $1,000. I upgraded my 5120 (the 5420’s predecessor) with Blacktop Filtertrons, and I love the guitar! The pickups are crunchy and clear, which I never found with other humbuckers. Plus, the craftsmanship is far above other hollow bodies I’ve tried/owned. All in all, a fantastic guitar!

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  12. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

E06B9DFE-7884-41A8-A698-5FC80E0B106C.jpeg

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    hnryclay, Ron C and P Bill like this.
  14. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

You can get something great in the $3k range. If it were me, I'd get a used Gretsch 6120 w/ Dynasonics or TV Jones and call it a day.

Mad Kiwi and JamesAM like this.
  15. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

I’ll second a gretsch anniversary. I had a 2018 players edition that was an absolutely outstanding guitar and a blast to play, but I (thought I) needed higher fret access so I sold it for an Es-335.

Good luck finding one now. I love the es-335, but man, that gretsch was an amazing instrument. I’ve been shopping for my next one for the past year because it was just so good.

Attached Files:

16. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Eastman and Gretsch (6xxx models, from Japan) are awesome guitars. My G6119T Player Edition is a superb instrument. I'm not into the Bigsby thing, so I removed that and the pick guard from mine. For less than 2K, you've got an instrument that rivals the best that Gibson puts out.

[​IMG]

17. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

G
    R
    E
    T
    S
    C
    H

They are the gold standard IMHO

18. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

I've built a few archies and plan on building a George Benson. The lower bout of the GB is 14 3/8 and body depth is 3 3/8. That makes it a little different from most archies

These two are 13 in lower bout and 2 1/2 depth on the right , 3 in depth on the left.

DSC06326.JPG

fpatton, Dismalhead, NTC and 3 others like this.
  19. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

WIN_20180831_17_34_52_Pro.jpg Here is a Squire X155 24 series almost the same as a Dearmond. I got this instead of a Ibanez.

20. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Absolutely! The mid to upper end Ibanez archtops are terrific. And I'm very partial to the Westerly Guilds, particularly from late 90s on when nut width went to 1-11/16". The Corona-made ones in the early 2000s are great, too. Earlier ones are great as well, but the ones I tried had smaller necks than I like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.