1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Full hollow tele experiment

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by maxvintage, Jul 5, 2016.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Tim is a wonderful player in every respect.

Is that a FULLY hollow guitar? Or is is hollow with a block like a Gibson ES? The one I made is completely hollow and the bridge is screwed to the top.

2. mojz

mojz Tele-Meister

definate success id say, looks and sounds great very impressed with the acoustic volume and tone. ive started my own build now and was thinking of using one of the neck mounted pickups myself tho not sure which way i want to jump yet but artec do a neck pickup thats 9mm (aprox 3/8") high according to the ebay listing ive seen

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

great job max!!!

4. maxvintage

Lace makes a very nice very thin pickup that might work in that application:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acou...9219067-sku^[email protected]^PLA

5. mojz

mojz Tele-Meister

wow that is thin,a little beyond my budget tho

6. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

As I understand it, fully hollow, or else I would have called it: semi-hollow.

7. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Great job, Max. Man, do I want one. I can't wait to see the next version.

8. maxvintage

By the way thank you all very much for the comments and input! This has been a lot of fun. I've got the Cherry body blank under way for number 3, and spruce lumber on order. I think no pickguard is the way to go (buzzing/rattling), but I like the look of a traditional tele. Hmmmm

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congrats! I had my reservations about the way I thought it would sound, but your tele sounds awesome!

Tim Lerch posted this on the Jazz Guitar forum. I thought it would make an interesting addition to this thread...

brookdalebill and juxtapolice like this.
  10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I saw this about a week ago when he had in on his FB page.

And, BDLH, did you get any of those right? I got his TL Grez and the last one right, but none of the others. I thought the first one with the gold foil pickup sounded great.

11. BigDaddyLH

0 right :oops:

12. screamin eagle

The only reason why I got 2 right was because 1, I guessed correctly on the TL Grez, and 2, I figured he'd play his Lollar CC tele, and that hadn't popped up yet. Process of deduction.

A lot of it is in his technique. I'd think that the sustain would be a give away, especially with the archtops, but he gets good sustain out of them too. Maybe with a re-watch I could hear some distinction among the decay of the sustain, but I'm just throwing lasso's by saying that.

13. BigDaddyLH

Yes, he has a light touch. If he were beating on the guitar, comping a la Freddie Green, it would be a different story. I hope!

14. screamin eagle

I've seen him up close and personal playing and discussed with him guitar playing also. He really floats on the strings with a light touch.

15. maxvintage

I agree his light touch is really evident In those clips. He's a masterful player and what strikes me is that he sounds like himself on whatever he's playing. I'll look up what he has today about his hollow tele

16. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Wow! I want one like this. I love the Tele aesthetic but hate the weight. Who makes this design for a hidden hollow body. The thin line pickguard never looked good to me, I like the traditional look. But this design would have the exact visuals of a standard Tele but at least 3 pounds lighter!!! I want!

17. maxvintage

I have two like this that I made, one with a spruce top and one with a maple top. Yes I like a light guitar too!

They’re holding up well, and I’m extremely happy with them and get compliments on the tone all the time, but I’ve got some reservations. First, feedback—I don’t do any high volume gigs, but i assume feedback would be an issue with this design. Second, long term viability. The strings are exerting a lot of force on the top and I wonder if over time they’ll deform it and pull it too far out of shape. But these are thick tops and pretty heavily braced. They aren’t designed to project a great acoustic tone, so they don’t have to be lightly braced.

18. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'm new to the forum, this thread is an interesting idea (and I like the sound clips - sort of somewhere around thin archtop with the tone rolled back, but see what you're saying about the decay being too subtle - if that's what I gathered).

Would you be able to make a guitar like this with a custom (maybe compensated) bridge and string through design so that the weight of the bridge itself wouldn't create sustain? I.e., something really light that dumps the string energy into the top to get a faster decay?

I haven't mastered anything yet as a builder, so just thinking out loud. Also wonder if you did that if you could attach something to the underside of the top that would absorb a little bit of the tops energy to mimic a large spruce top doing the same.

19. maxvintage

I don’t see how you could make it string through without having the top deform. The idea here is the the bridge plate distributes the string pull forward, so the plate itself acts as a brace. The pull is up from the back: the front of the bridge plate counteracts this and presses down.

If it was a string through the bridge would be trying to go up in the front like a drawbridge. You’d have to brace the hell out of it and even then I have my doubts it would hold up. The bridge itself is very light—the pickup weighs more than the bridge and probably dampens things some. The way around that would be to mount the bridge to the inside back of the guitar and not to the bridge plate, but that would make height adjustment tricky. You could drill out the pickup mounting holes so the screws were accessible but not held by the plate.

The balance is always between strong enough to resist the string pull and light enough to get some damping. If you payed this guitar next to a solid body tele you’d hear a difference, but it wouldn’t be like an archtop.

Here’s another experiment

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/another-odd-hollow-body-experiment.852533/

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  20. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You definitely achieved a rounder, jazzier sound with your experiment. I like it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.