Fujigen-made Squier Bullet Telecaster/Stratocaster Hybrid

BoomTexan

TDPRI Member
258027704_4254965767940777_2142735395938762319_n.png

Found this for sale on my local Facebook marketplace and just wanted to share. It has some wear (a finish crack on the neck for instance and a beat-up headstock) but it's awesome and SUPER rare. Does anyone know what the model name for one of these is? The seller thinks it's a '85 Tele/Strat hybrid, and there is one that's reverse (strat body and tele pickup config) from the same period. It's $750 and was wondering if it might be worth it.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
258027704_4254965767940777_2142735395938762319_n.png

Found this for sale on my local Facebook marketplace and just wanted to share. It has some wear (a finish crack on the neck for instance and a beat-up headstock) but it's awesome and SUPER rare. Does anyone know what the model name for one of these is? The seller thinks it's a '85 Tele/Strat hybrid, and there is one that's reverse (strat body and tele pickup config) from the same period. It's $750 and was wondering if it might be worth it.
It's a Squier Bullet. Pretty rare but I've seen one before. $750 would be too much for me, but YMMV ..

Michael A.

Tele-Afflicted
It is a Squier Bullet Contemporary HST from 1985-6. Most think they are made in Japan, but some original owners have said their guitars from new had Made in Korea stickers. The maple neck and wood plug certainly makes one think they are MIJ. It is speculation they were made by Fujigen.

Here's a link to the Squier Wiki, but the photos were hacked.
https://squierwiki.com/Contemporary-Bullet-HST-(1st-Version)

That $750 price is crazy high! Occasionally, they may sell for $300 or a bit more if the neck has fantastic figuring. There are some on Reverb.com that have been on there at prices like that one for years without selling.

https://reverb.com/item/45409236-1980s-squier-bullet-1-telecaster-mij-japan-white-hss

There is no consistency in how owners list them, most don't know the correct name. The best way to search is for Squier Japan and see what pops up.

The bridge pickup sounds pretty good. The single coils, not so much. The body is pretty heavy. The neck is super comfortable to me.

These have a high mass bridge block and vintage string spacing. The 2 point tremolo is best left unused, as the 2 small wood screws aren't enough to resist string tension and can start to pull towards the neck, elongating the holes in the body.

Here are mine, in all the colors that were offered. The cheeky attitude of these guitars always brings a smile to my face.

IMG_20180713_144055076.jpg

Last edited:

Michael A.

Tele-Afflicted
Version 2 of the Squier Bullet HST is this 1987 Made in Korea variant. The pickups are the same as the earlier one.

Strat-shaped body, contoured front and back like a Strat. Maple veneer front and rear on solid wood body, not laminated wood like the first series. The maple is sometimes prone to cracking.

The other amenities are like the guitar above.

HSSbullet1.jpg HSSBullet2.jpg 2007-01-13 18.45.07.jpg

ChrisDowning

Tele-Meister
It's worth whatever someone will pay. But don't underestimate the value of brand - a Squire is a Squire and a Fender is a Fender. Copies of a Rolex will not ever, ever sell for anything like a Rolex - despite them both telling you the time of day accurately. However, if you were very famous and known for your quirky preferences for Squire, your guitar would be worth some real money - not for the guitar, but because you, the famous player, played it. That's why there are signature guitars.

BoomTexan

TDPRI Member
It is a Squier Bullet Contemporary HST from 1985-6. Most think they are made in Japan, but some original owners have said their guitars from new had Made in Korea stickers. The maple neck and wood plug certainly makes one think they are MIJ. It is speculation they were made by Fujigen.

Here's a link to the Squier Wiki, but the photos were hacked.
https://squierwiki.com/Contemporary-Bullet-HST-(1st-Version)

That $750 price is crazy high! Occasionally, they may sell for $300 or a bit more if the neck has fantastic figuring. There are some on Reverb.com that have been on there at prices like that one for years without selling.

https://reverb.com/item/45409236-1980s-squier-bullet-1-telecaster-mij-japan-white-hss

There is no consistency in how owners list them, most don't know the correct name. The best way to search is for Squier Japan and see what pops up.

The bridge pickup sounds pretty good. The single coils, not so much. The body is pretty heavy. The neck is super comfortable to me.

These have a high mass bridge block and vintage string spacing. The 2 point tremolo is best left unused, as the 2 small wood screws aren't enough to resist string tension and can start to pull towards the neck, elongating the holes in the body.

Here are mine, in all the colors that were offered. The cheeky attitude of these guitars always brings a smile to my face.

View attachment 926947

Thanks so much for the help!

ponycar

Tele-Meister
I had a Squire Bullet USA from the early 80s? with a Duo Sonic-esque body and a 25.5 scale Telecaster style neck. Square heel etc. The neck was a very correct tele shape. Great quality 1 5/8ths neck, metal pickguard, Grey bottom pickups, questionable tornado bridge. I restored it for my nephew. Headstock logo very much like those pictured but read USA.