Fuel is too cheap?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shango66, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Op here.
    Ricky D asked "why do I care"
    Man I could afford to live in a climate controlled environment most of the time.
    I just think it's wasteful to do so.

Some folks differ in opinion and that's ok too.

2. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

I do not have home air conditioning and rarely turn my heater on. All of the upstairs windows in my home are open almost year round.

This has nothing to do with my views on ecology or wastefulness. It's because 50 years ago my family moved to Santa Clara county south of San Francisco, and the climate here is unbelievably moderate.

My son just moved to Colorado Springs where the daytime high temperature one day last week was 2f. I'm sure he is wasting a lot more fossil fuels out there than I am here. Maybe I should call him and remind him how he was raised, heater off and windows open.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My grandfather had six children. Every one of those children had at least two children of their own. My own father had four kids, and two of them have produced six kids between them.

So, there was my grandfather, plus his six kids, plus their 14 (at least), plus my brothers' six kids, and 15 numerous other nieces and nephews that I can remember. That equals at least 42 people, possibly 50 by now, with the latest generation. (Someone might want to check my math.)

Every one of those people has a carbon footprint. Yes, Pops had his own footprint separate from his offspring, but if he had been without children, there would be 50 or so fewer people using up fossil fuels and leaving plastic bottles to float in the ocean.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be having children. Clearly, we need to keep the human race going. After all, someone needs to be around to watch the 100th season of The Amazing Race.

I'm just saying that I've done my bit for the planet by not having any kids myself. And I don't feel bad when I eat Chinese food out of a Styrofoam container or buy guitar strings in a plastic-wrapped box.

4. kelnet

Lots of people have contributed great things without having children. We don't exist just to procreate.

5. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

What a Dad! My Pop bought me a lap dance once but balked at springin' for the whole nine!:D

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Ouch. Hey who cut the cheese?

7. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not saying people can't contribute without procreation. What I am saying is that if you are taking the 'Big View,' as most carbon alarmists claim, human achievement counts for very little. Most of us are forgotten in a matter a months after we die. A few may be remembered decades or even centuries later, but not many. Genes, on the other hand, do go on, constantly being reshuffled and retested to meet new demands. In the end nothing any of us alive today will matter a tinker's damn, but our genes are forever.

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire

What was the question again, op?
    Oh yeah, probably, but I just paid $2.60/US gallon last night so at that price- let 'er run!

9. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it wasn't for humans modifying the environment by growing crops for 10,000 years we'd currently be in the beginning of an ice age.

What no one ever seems to say is, we've already completely modified the global environment but for some strange reason we've decided that right now's climate is the one we want to maintain.

Humans are a silly bunch. Burn all the fuel you want - the damage is already done.

Stop feeling guilty about it.

10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm going to laugh my ass off when one of these super volcanoes lets loose and nullifies all this silliness.

Most people cannot even clean up after themselves after a day at the beach, it's insane to think they can all get on board the "minimal carbon footprint train".

11. kelnet

Most people? Really? Are your beaches covered in garbage? I mean literally covered? Or is there just some garbage from the few people who can't clean up after themselves?

12. maryjane

maryjane Tele-Afflicted

so well said and i agree completely.....of course i'm also a senior citizen who made a conscious decision to not have children....too many people on the planet of finite resources and i don't think my genetic material is so special that it needs to be replicated.....some will disagree and that's okay.

13. Justinvs

Humans are not the only consumers on this planet. All life consumes. All life produces. Life doesn't affect climate, but the other way around. Conditions on Earth have always been in flux and always will be and the best any of us can do is adapt. Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not hard to grasp, it's just (willfully) incomplete.

Life does affect climate. Before plants there wasn't much oxygen in the atmosphere.

15. kelnet

Yeah, look at all the different life forms that have cut down forests and burned coal and oil and polluted lakes and rivers. I mean, look at how badly marsupials have screwed things up with their acid rain and their CFCs.

16. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

I KNEW those koalas looked sinister.

17. Justinvs

Come up here and I will show you the creature that is having the most visible, deleterious affect on the forest in my region. It isn't homo sapiens, and it certainly isn't one of our domesticated species. It is a pair of insects, neither longer than my thumb. Between the Spruce Moth and the Pine Fir Beetle, nearly 40% of the pine trees are either dead or dying, the trees waiting for a lightning strike to burn. I live five miles from the remnants of one of the biggest wildfires to strike North America in the last twenty years, the Pettengail Complex. Day after day, for nearly three months I watched a cloud of smoke engulf the sky, the sheer tonnage of ash, CO2, CO, SO2 and other various gasses dwarfing anything our coal fired power plants or cars could have produced in a year.

Don't tell me humans are the only organisms who have an adverse affect on the environment.

18. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So its safe to ignore the damage humans are directly causing, because bad stuff happens all the time :roll.

19. Justinvs

Not plants. Algae and cyanobacteria. And even with all the changes that occurred in the Cambrian and Precambrian, life almost didn't survive the Permian ice age, this despite the fact that CO2 levels were far higher than anything recorded since the Triassic.

20. kelnet

Can you find any research, evidence, documentation, or anything resembling actual facts that supports the idea that sporadic wildfires produce more air pollutants than the non-stop worldwide pollution caused by 6 billion people and all of their factories, cars, planes, ships, trains, smelters, refineries, power plants, and farts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.