Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Since our first kid was old enough to go to pre kindergarten we had a “good day” ritual. “Find the magic”. And when she came home we’d do our best to pry out at least 1 thing that made her smile. Did the same for our son 4 years younger. Basically it was 14 years of “nothing”, “it was good”, PE or lunch was Ok. But we Never stopped saying it even when he was 18, driving, messy hair, sports, hardly recognizing the little kid.

Fast forward, son’s been at college 2000 miles away since August and he’s a D1 student athlete so we only rarely get a chance to speak or FaceTime. Man, I miss my buddy.

Tragically, one of his friends back home took his own life this weekend and he was devastated. Spent most of the night Saturday talking and listening and just reminding him that there are so many people who love him and he should never feel trapped in any way.

Sunday was an early start because he had a game. As a freshman at that level he really didn’t expect anything except supporting the team, his brothers. But his number got called and he scored his first point in college. We have a grainy video recorded off the stream. It was hard to see his face but the reaction from the seniors running to him and piling on I know meant the world to a homesick, mourning kid forced to compartmentalize.

Today he sent some official photos of the game from the university media. In one picture, just below the shorts in black outline a tattoo we hadn’t known about.

FTM

The Mrs. calls him and says “what is that? F the man???” He says “Mom! Find the Magic!” There’s that moment you realize all the little things add up to big things.

Something happened today that made you smile no matter what.
Find the Magic.

SparkleFart

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Since our first kid was old enough to go to pre kindergarten we had a “good day” ritual. “Find the magic”. And when she came home we’d do our best to pry out at least 1 thing that made her smile. Did the same for our son 4 years younger. Basically it was 14 years of “nothing”, “it was good”, PE or lunch was Ok. But we Never stopped saying it even when he was 18, driving, messy hair, sports, hardly recognizing the little kid.

Fast forward, son’s been at college 2000 miles away since August and he’s a D1 student athlete so we only rarely get a chance to speak or FaceTime. Man, I miss my buddy.

Tragically, one of his friends back home took his own life this weekend and he was devastated. Spent most of the night Saturday talking and listening and just reminding him that there are so many people who love him and he should never feel trapped in any way.

Sunday was an early start because he had a game. As a freshman at that level he really didn’t expect anything except supporting the team, his brothers. But his number got called and he scored his first point in college. We have a grainy video recorded off the stream. It was hard to see his face but the reaction from the seniors running to him and piling on I know meant the world to a homesick, mourning kid forced to compartmentalize.

Today he sent some official photos of the game from the university media. In one picture, just below the shorts in black outline a tattoo we hadn’t known about.

FTM

The Mrs. calls him and says “what is that? F the man???” He says “Mom! Find the Magic!” There’s that moment you realize all the little things add up to big things.

Something happened today that made you smile no matter what.
Find the Magic.

Moving, powerful stuff. Good on you dad & mom!

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Well that's a very nice story with a very sad element. Hope your boy's alright; a friend's suicide is a helluva loss at any age, but esp where and when he is in life. Sounds like you got him there. How awful for his friend's family, can't imagine.
Yes, tragic. Can’t imagine what they’re going through.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Awesome story. My daughter also was a college athlete and her brother was killed during one of her seasons (she played two sports).

We gave her the choice to come home or continue with the road trip they were on at the time since it would end before the funeral. She decided to stay with her sisters and leave after the last game and come home. What she did not know was her sisters all conspired to not let their teammate come to the funeral alone. They commandeered the universities bus (Ok'd through the school and it came with a driver!) and they all made the trip to the funeral.

It was quite the scene placing 16 college softball players in host housing for one night but the scene at the funeral was even better. 16 girls all dressed in their home white uniforms supporting one of their teamates.

It sounds like your son's team is doing the same and it is a memory that will last a lifetime!

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Awesome story. My daughter also was a college athlete and her brother was killed during one of her seasons (she played two sports).

We gave her the choice to come home or continue with the road trip they were on at the time since it would end before the funeral. She decided to stay with her sisters and leave after the last game and come home. What she did not know was her sisters all conspired to not let their teammate come to the funeral alone. They commandeered the universities bus (Ok'd through the school and it came with a driver!) and they all made the trip to the funeral.

It was quite the scene placing 16 college softball players in host housing for one night but the scene at the funeral was even better. 16 girls all dressed in their home white uniforms supporting one of their teamates.

It sounds like your son's team is doing the same and it is a memory that will last a lifetime!
That is fantastic. It’s a second family.
And terribly sorry for your loss.