FSR vs Standard MIM

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by murdude, Jul 28, 2017.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Only bridge and Body wood is different.

Standard has 6 Saddle block bridge and Alder body

FSR has 3 Brass saddle bridge T type and Ash Body

Rest is same

2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

I def agree with this. I have the same FSR and the wood selection of the body and neck seems extra nice. The darker neck also looks great.

You wud imagine the components just come from the same bins/racks but there does seem to be more care in the FSRs.

As mentioned, maybe they are not straight off the std production line but assembled separately, so maybe a little more care is made.

PS. The pups are actually different - std plus, a little over-wound compared to std.

I did swap out the PG, pups, saddles n neck plate, tho.
    IMG_20180312_184504.jpg

Telefan65 likes this.
  3. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Get the one that plays better for you. Either bridge works. If you’re OCD get the 6 saddle.

4. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

216A401E-5C5F-4EBF-869A-F5BBBDB9F5B0.png I see this thread is a year old but I want to say that I recently bought a 2018 MIM FSR with mods off of reverb for 760.00 and it’s a damn fine guitar. It’s on the heavy side at 9.3 lbs but the tone of this instrument is just spot on to my ears. I feel it’s build is a touch better than standard MIMS but I rely on on my ears mostly and this one is so nice. I may swap pickups down the road to fender no casters but the stock ones are pretty swell.

5. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

fwiw, personally find FSR to be comparable to Am Special/Performer and as such find them underwhelming.
    By comparison, there are some excellent Standard/Player guitars around in terms of value for money.

6. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

The vast majority of FSR models are strictly cosmetic and/or a limited run for someone. I have a 2003 FSR Strat and the only thing special about it is the pearl pickguard color and the fact that it was 1/200 for the Fender east coast sales rep at the time. Pretty BS to be honest.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

upload_2019-12-1_23-18-47.png

Telefan65, I sure hope I am wrong, but this heavily ornamented bridge appears to be meant for some instrument other than a MIM Standard, its FSR or any derivative model. The through holes are too close together and appear to be directly below the saddles. That's not right. Unless this image is fooling my eyes.

Have you got any better images? Thanks.

Here's hoping you didn't get ripped off.

8. TCB3

TCB3 TDPRI Member

Due to a smaller run in production the FSR will have a better shot at having a higher quality both statistically as well as anecdotally.
    Once the proto is completed the tooling and process is dialed in for that model. What happens with MIM is over time tooling wears, needs to be replaced, etc and workers tend to rotate or leave requiring new training for new workers. All those factors lead to RMA/QD i.e. quality defects/tolerance issues.
    That is a direct result of a production run lasting a long period. In a shorter run before those problems start to produce themselves they have already tapered off or stopped producing that FSR model so less defects are present. It's simple production/numbers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Kreepy likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you but what if the FSR is made of a surplus of heavy and/or unsightly ash? I know Guitar Center/Musicians Friend had an ongoing variant of the MIM Std. Tele (and the Strat for a while) with clear finish ash and a black pickguard. These were often kinda ugly or frankly, just too heavy. Also, sometimes FSR production involves using up old surplus parts inventory. For example, the new Player came out and meanwhile they still kept making FSRs using MIM Standard necks.

So, your basic reasoning is good, but then we peel back another layer of onion and other factors disrupt the outcome.

10. TCB3

TCB3 TDPRI Member

I agree with you that the components in said production affect the outcome. But all that being equal or similar the overall production quality due to the factors I ascribed above I believe still hold true, IMO. That's not to say I haven't heard/played some wonderful non FSR/STD MIM guitars. I most certainly have.

11. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

Changed out pickguard to etched Bakelite. And changed out bridge and control plate with Gotoh upgrades. It’s an awesome playing tele and I like the looks of the upgrades. Otherwise all original Mim fsr ash bodied BSB tele.

12. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

I have two FSRs, a 2010 GC Copperburst and a Black Paisley. Both very nice guitars. I bought the Black Paisley used and got the Copperburst at a a great price. I’ve never owned a standard MIM Tele but I have played them and I would say that the FSRs are better built. I also prefer a guitar on the lighter side because of the demands of gigging and of a herniated disc, and I’ve noticed that a good number of the standards, especially the Nashvilles, are boat anchors. Like every guitar run there will be a large number of acceptable guitars, a handful of turds, and a handful of gems.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  13. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

2860F470-414A-4514-9266-750ABB466936.jpeg

14. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With regard to quality and attention to detail and fit and finish.... I have noted no difference. I've owned 20+ standard MIMs, and at least 5 or 6 FSRs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.