FSR Tele + 65' DRRI w/Cannabis Rex 12" - matching combo

Butterscotch4days

TDPRI Member
I am working on my Roy Buchanan tone, and I know he played a different amp, but I'm getting real close to his tone with a very minimal setup, like he did. Only thing is, I can't dime the amp in my basement without upsetting the entire neighborhood (C'est la vie!)

Any other hints as to how I could get the screaming sound without having a Dr. Z airbrake or load box? Maybe a preamp or volume boost pedal?

Attachments

• 20220621_132059.jpg
    20220621_132059.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 20

8barlouie

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I can get that screaming sound out of my DRRI with one of those ubiquitous green things which works really well. However, it still gets pretty loud. I have a Maverick attenuated speaker which can shave off 8 decibels without much tone loss and a Bugera Power Soak which drops down to 9 decibels of attenuation without much loss, but make no mistake: you will have tone loss, and it will get loud. Pick your poison.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a unit67 which is very good (boost rangemaster eq and comp combined) and permanently on my board.

But I always recommend attenuators for getting tone and audible volume balance right.

Butterscotch4days

TDPRI Member
Thank you, I forgot the word attenuator in the OP, lol. Does the attenuator put strain on the transformer and tubes?

I have a soul food OD and it's really close, so I guess I have to really see what I want. I guess it's tone loss or hearing loss hahah

8barlouie

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Thank you, I forgot the word attenuator in the OP, lol. Does the attenuator put strain on the transformer and tubes?

I have a soul food OD and it's really close, so I guess I have to really see what I want. I guess it's tone loss or hearing loss hahah
It’s not so much that the attenuator itself puts a strain on the amp components, but because you are essentially cranking the amp, which puts more of a strain on the tranny and tubes, etc. As far as the amp is concerned, you’re cranked! The whole reason the attenuator reduces volume is because some of the energy is getting bled off in the form of heat.

Back at it

Tele-Meister

Well you’re generally running your amp harder and so yes you’re straining the amp more than running it at lower volume

Butterscotch4days

TDPRI Member
It’s not so much that the attenuator itself puts a strain on the amp components, but because you are essentially cranking the amp, which puts more of a strain on the tranny and tubes, etc. As far as the amp is concerned, you’re cranked! The whole reason the attenuator reduces volume is because some of the energy is getting bled off in the form of heat.
Yeah, that's what I had figured, and misspoke about. Obviously the strain comes from cranking the amp. I'm still not good with Forum messaging and being clear about what I mean, so thank you for clarifying that!

Last edited:

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
To me, a big part of the Roy B sound is the sound of lightweight Oxfords or Jensens on the verge of frying - lots of cone cry, upper harmonics (some might consider ice-pick), and speaker breakup you, all of which the C-rex is designed to prevent . That C-rex is a great speaker but quite loud. I'd swap it for something with low efficiency, a small magnet, small voice coil and power handling closer to the amp's wattage. Weber ceramic Sig 12, WGS G12q, Jensen C12r, Jupiter 12SC, etc.

Butterscotch4days

TDPRI Member
That I can understand and appreciate the thorough details as to his unique sound. I play more than just Roy, so I have to balance what he sounds like versus what I sound like and what he sounds like especially with only one amp (for now!) I plan on keeping this amp as the factory made it, but I am not above getting a Roland JC120 with those recommended speakers, if I recall later on he used a JC amp and digital delay but I could be wrong - I'm far from a scholar on him