FSR BSB Reversed control plate club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by goldo, Feb 24, 2011.

1. GuitarObsession

GuitarObsession Tele-Meister

They aren't listed on the GC website at all.

MusiciansFriend has a similar FSR tele on their site. The bridge is different...maybe the pickups too. That might be your best option. It sounds like the GC stock is possibly sold out by now. Don't know for sure.

2. MaskedRider

MaskedRider Tele-Afflicted

OK,thanks.

3. Francis Kok

Francis Kok TDPRI Member

And...I am also a proud owner of a MIM fsr butterscotch blond Tele all the way here in Malaysia. I ordered the Joe Barden compensated bridge and saddles and the Danny Gatton T-Style bridge pickup which arrived a week ago. I'll be fixing them soon. Unfortunately, none of the guitar stores here have ever heard of JB pickups and their vintage bridge and saddles. I have 2 american made Strats but this Tele is truly versatile. It's so easy on your fingers.

4. willrmc

willrmc TDPRI Member

Here's my BSB. Got it in mid december at gc in Brooklyn. I literally unpacked it from the shipping box at the store, i had it reserved before they had even taken it out. LOVE this guitar!

Attached Files:

5. Telecaster52SE

Telecaster52SE TDPRI Member

To my knowledge these Fender FSR BSB Tele's are sold ONLY in the GC Stores and not online. They pretty much sell about as fast as they put them out. I just lucked out and walked into my GC a few hours after they put it out on the wall. I snatched it, played it only a few minutes and walked to the counter to pay for it with my 15% discount coupon. One GC guitar salesman told me he didn't even know they had that guitar. They also make a silver-burst version of this FSR Tele, which I have seen some of those still in the stores. I like the Butterscotch Blackguard better though.

6. FrankMc

FrankMc Tele-Meister

Check the Nashville Guitar Center, saw a two piece BSB FSR in there last Wednesday, may still be there.

7. Twang Chung

Twang Chung TDPRI Member

I actually bought mine at a mom and pop store here in Santa Barbara. Either it was brought in from a Fender rep or it was a trade-in. Either way I got a great deal on mine with my teacher discount. I actually really like the sound of the stock pickups. I can get a pretty good twang out of them.

8. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

Here's mine, its a mid-80's squire that I've been 'experimenting' with. Trying out some of the stuff that I've seen done on this site :D
    I removed the tone control and tried to position the Vol pot where it falls most naturally to my hand. I think it still needs to move back a little. When I've got it right I might get some plates made up. It has a 1/4" maple top and one of the nicest necks I've played, I've contoured the body and let my missus paint flowers on it in exchange for leaving woodshavings and bits of hardware around the house for weeks :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

9. FSRTeleBSB

FSRTeleBSB TDPRI Member

New to this club and couldn't be happier!

Just got one today from the GC in Fountain Valley, CA. I absolutely love it. Amazing grain on it. Great tone, great neck (I love the gloss). I also love the old logo and "Telecaster" in quotes. Sunds incredible. Got it 15% off with the Memorial Day coupon. They are still available to a degree for those who want them. Mine is a 2011 (MX110....)

Attached Files:

10. FrankMc

FrankMc Tele-Meister

I think the grain patterns on these guitars are exceptional for the price, whether they are two piece or three piece body.

11. whitham

whitham TDPRI Member

I just ordered one online from GC yesterday, though they didn't have a photo or any info.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-FSR-Standard-Ash-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-H72859-i1858007.gc

The customer service guy couldn't find any details either. I'm pretty excited about it though. It will be my first tele. Planning on swapping the pups for '51 Nocasters, throwing on a 4-way switch, adding compensated brass saddles and shielding the guard and control plate. I'm guessing the pots, wiring, tuners, etc are good enough for now?

12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Just picked mine up 2 days ago. I was lucky. The GC nearest my home had one and there were 2 more at a GC further down the road. I checked out all three and this was the last one I looked at and happened to be the one that was still sealed in the box. Just finished filing the nut slots - adjusting the neck - and setting the string height and intonation last night. I'm lovin this guitar. I'm gonna put a neck humbucker on this one eventually but the ceramics in it now are really nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. wragen22

wragen22 TDPRI Member

Just got one myself! Absolutely loving this thing. I do want to change the neck pu and add a low-wind humbucker. Anyone know what pots are in here? Are they 250 or 500K?

14. mpfitz85

mpfitz85 Tele-Meister

The mods I made to this thing really make it shine. I'd reccomend letting your imaginations run wild with pup swaps.

15. Broly

Broly Tele-Meister

Heres mine with the following mods:
    1. Fender OV bridge pup
    2. Fender Twisted Tele neck pup
    3. 52 RI Bakelite pickguard
    4. Kluson Vintage tuners
    5. Round 50s string tree

It sounds and plays great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sacdubro

Sacdubro Tele-Meister

17. mustachio

mustachio TDPRI Member

Fender FSR Butterscotch Blonde

So, since I got a ES-335, which is warm and smooth, I needed a something on the opposite end of the spectrum. I love Telecasters, that being said, I think a Tele is a Tele is a Tele....however, I do have my preferences.

I used to own a '52 Reissue but sold it toward a Les Paul five years ago. Some things I loved about the '52 Reissue were: Butterscotch Blonde, the "U" shaped neck, ash body sounds warmer to my ears, and the pickups. The things that were inconvenient Teles that were: the old school truss rod's access point was at the heel not the head (very dicey proposition for set ups), the vintage tuners are not practical for gigging musicians who break strings and need to restring on the fly, the 7.25" radius doesn't have the note sustain needed (not that you need a 12" or 10", but at 7.25" you need to work a little too hard: one caveat: great for rhythm playing), the uncompensated brass saddles, and of course the price.

All Tele's have a design flaw and that's the control plate setup. Not very ergonomic and frequent accidental switching of pickups. I've actually had two Telecasters and had my tech fabricate a switch plate to have a single volume knob where the control switches are standard, and then had a Les Paul "up/down" selector switch where the tone pot would normal be. I liked this modification (A) because no one has ever had this, and (B) the pickup I wanted on, stayed on. But, I did miss the tone pot to roll off the occasional high frequency. I had a treble bleed installed on the volume pot to clean it up at lower volumes but that became completely too shrill, especially on the bridge pickup.

All my preferences fulfilled and desire for a perfect (well, almost perfect) Telecaster were made available with the GuitarCenter's Fender Special Run (FSR) Butterscotch Blonde, Made in Mexico, Standard Telecaster. Not to be confused with the Musiciansfriend FSR Tele.

Here's what I loved (in comparison with the '52 Reissue) and some mods that HAD to be done: The finish, color weight, tone is near identical, and the price.

The feel of the neck, which is a modern "C", with a 9.5" radius is really comfortable. The difference is that the '52 has that slightly more rounded "U" shape, that I prefer, but I'd rather have that flatter fretboard radius for better playablity suited to my tastes and technique. But, let me stress the "C" or "U" is really a matter of millimeters and fretting hand fatigue will not be an issue 2 hours into a gig. The fretjob was level and no barbed ends. My tech had to reset some of the relief, but I changed to heavier gauge (.10s) strings and this is why the truss rod location at the headstock becomes important so as not to have to unscrew the neck at the heal to adjust relief. Adjusting the relief is common and should be performed for any new guitar though. The nut slots were perfectly spaced and the slot depths were perfect. Also, the neck has the same lacquer and tint as a '52. Bottom line: Incredible neck.

The control plate is reversed, which means the volume pot is the first knob, the tone pot is the second knob and the selector switch is toward the rear of the the plate. Two things need to be done to make reversed control plate completely perfect. (1) replace the barrel knob for the selector switch to a "Top Hat" knob. The reason is because the "Top Hat" jettisons a little higher than the tone pot and you can switch it a little easier. Also, barrel knobs tend to fall off, and (2) switch the volume and tone pot wiring to 50's style wiring. The benefit of this mod is that it connects the cap to the output lug of the volume pot instead of the input lug, therefore changing the characteristic of the sound as you roll down your volume pot. I think, and don't quote me, that the the current goes freely through the volume pot. Instead of having capacitance or resistance (input lug connection) before the current goes to the volume pot, the current is affected after volume pot (the output lug)...I think....but the bottom line is the volume tapers down to provided a more controllable clean rhythm sound, and when you open it up, it reminds me of TBX Boost, like in Clapton's strat. Here's more info on the subject:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...Mod_Guide.aspx

Also, be advised: When I went in there to change things around, the pots were CTS, not cheap crap. I don't know if SwitchCraft jacks or selector switches are in there, but since the pots were quality, I'll go ahead and assume things are top shelf all the way around.

Pickups: O.K., this is all potato/potahto subject matter and entire encyclopedias are written on the topic. And I play through two amps, a Dr. Z Maz Jr 18 No Reverb and a 1966 Supro Supreme.

Here's what I thought about the pickups: Good stock pickups, nothing special. Fender Hot Tele pickups, of the ceramic variety. O.K. for lead work, not terribly good for note definition with chording sevenths, suspended stuff. Fine for Fifths and Major 3rds. Minor chords seemed dissonant, if that makes any sense. But that could've been the intonation with the uncompensated saddles?

Solution: Set of Lollar '52-T Pickups. Night and Day. I don't particularly think that pickups need to be super hot and twang is not really pleasing to my ear ALL of the time. I know, I know...some of you Tele guys are crazy about it. "Time and Place" is all I'm saying. If you need to get "Hot" then get a clean boost, or adjust your amp settings. The Lollar '52 T's are lower wound, but they are balanced between the two. When some people say "balanced", I tend not to know exactly what that means, but I think I understand now. "Balanced" to me means that pickups respond in the same fashion between two in a set. So, if your picking attack reacts sensitively to the bridge pickup, the neck will react the same BUT it will sound like a neck pickup. Understand? It's more of a physical reaction the pickup has to actual string vibration. Very hard to describe, but you know it when you "feel" it. Sonically, the have a nice bell like tone and they sustain beautifully (impart to the neck radius too). When overdriven, they keep tight and are never shrill. Roll the volume back, especially with the 50's wiring, they clean up like there isn't a pedal or the amp is set clean. They always have a "spacial" sound and don't sound "sqeezed" or become microphonic at high volumes. Very impressive. Also, unlike the '52 Reissue, the pickups have a height adjustment screws to achieve PERFECT volume when switching between the two. Lollars rock and are worth every penny. I paid, $210 for the set.

Saddles: Despite what anyone thinks, the three brass saddles are warmer than the six string saddles. However, intonation is never as perfect with the brass "hammers" as it is with the individual saddles. The individual saddles are "livelier", especially the chrome ones. I just purchased the AllParts compensated saddles to correct the intonation. As far as the Wilkinson or Joe Barden saddles, I think it's a little opportunistic to sell such small parts for those prices. Pick and choose your battles. Save your money for boutique pickups.

Tuners: They are Ping/Fender standard tuners. I'm very finicky when it comes to tuners and their sensitivity (I replaced my Custom Shop 335 tuners to Grovers). But, these tuners are just as good as Schaller mini tuners (the German kind). No problems whatsoever with hard, long playing.

Aesthetics: I love the old school Fender decal on the headstock. The string tree is modern (Who cares if you have the disc or not? Personally, I think the design improvements made to Telecasters over the years were necessary and not all because of cost effectiveness. The disc wasn't functionally effective and may have applied not enough pressure, hence the modern string tree). Pickguard is beveled on the edges, not at all like the bakelight originals. Because of the pickup adjustment screws, the pickgaurd is fine as is. The ash wood grain slightly comes through the Butterscotch Blonde paint exactly as it does in the '52 Reissue. My ash body is also made of three pieces of ash. The '52 is one piece and that's why the call it "Premium". I don't think it makes a difference in sustain or energy transference because ash is heavy. I think if you have a SG or mahogany body, the one piece or multi-pieced bodies are more of an issue. Some disagree, but I guess you have to really play them to "feel" them. By the way the neck are one piece.

Now, that I've completely bored you to death, I just wanted to give an honest review and put it out there. I searched for weeks before I bought, or should I say more appropriately "kept", the right Telecaster. I had purchased the MusiciansFriend one and it sucked in comparison. "Noiseless" pickups were worse than the "Hot Tele's" and I didn't care for the 6 individual saddle and modern bridge. Aesthetically, the Fender logo wasn't the traditional Spaghetti logo and of course the control panel issues I discussed earlier.

I also sent back a Butterscotch Blonde American Deluxe with the S-1 switching. Not a fan of the S-1. Pickups were great, neck was wicked with a compound radius, but the GuitarCenter FSR was a fraction of the price and more "upgradable".

I had to purchase a deluxe tweed case with the red crushed velvet interior. Amazon. Used. $125.

Mexican craftsmanship is second to none. There is no difference between Mexican vs American as long as the all the hardware is quality and wood is within specs. Mexican workers just as hard as American workers (but some could disagree, American attitudes toward hard work are--how to put this?--less ethical in resolve).

So, in closing: $399 guitar (with coupon), $210 pickups, $150 work, $125 case = +/- $900. Compared to MF = $650 or a new Fender '52 Reissue or American Deluxe @ $1400 - $1600.

What do you think? Not bad for a new member's first post, eh? Cool Forum. Cheers!

Attached Files:

18. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Here's mine, got it in spring. I believe it's a 2010 model since it's serial number starts with MX101. These guitars are not only available through GC, obviously since there aren't any overseas. I bought it from the official Fender dealer, 1 of 10 that made it to the country.

[​IMG]

19. VoxPodio

VoxPodio TDPRI Member

This thread is bumming me out big time.

20. FrankMc

FrankMc Tele-Meister

Then go to GC and get one and you won't be bummed out anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.