1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FSR BSB Reversed control plate club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by goldo, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Still54

Still54 TDPRI Member

Hey Guys, First post. I've had an FSR BSB Reverse Control for about a year (1st Tele). Got a great price from Craigslist. Really like it, great wood pattern, awesome sound and very playable.

Here's what I have done: Wrapped control cavity in copper foil, didn't do much but was easy and maybe some noise shielding. I also added a .047 Oil in Paper Russian cap, its big, but sounds good (I think better than stock). I also wanted a little more volume and tone control so I opted to replace the CTS pots with Mojo Vintage tapers, works really good.

Here's and interesting item, I had noise in the middle position, thought something was mis-wired, Fender seems to always reverse wind their single poles. When I tested the magnets with a compass, they are wound the same. So in mine I don't get hum cancelling in middle. :(

I have a Seymor Duncan Bridge Hot Rail (humbucker) but hesitant to install because would lose the single pole look. A friend put Lollars in his and really loves them, but kinda pricey. Wonder if I should just stay with the stock Pups? I play blues rock and use stereo Pro Juniors (great setup), getting most of my effects from the board.

2. Philo

Philo TDPRI Member

I put the OV52 bridge pickup back in. To my ears, its got a little more upper mids and a tiny bit less "high high end" than the Nocaster; more of what I want a tele to sound like.

Incidentally, the OV52 is closer to the ceramic bridge pickup that this came with, but sounds a little bit more vintage.

I miss the hum cancelling in the middle position, but like the bridge sound better.

Philo

3. Ederson46

Ederson46 TDPRI Member

Doubts Pickups Fender FSR

Some sites say the pickups are Fender FSR Butterscotch Alnico III are true or ceramic?

4. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

Once and for all. The pickups are CERAMIC!!!!!! Everyone keeps asking and we always tell them.... Sorry if i sound mad, im not. Anyway, they are overwound ceramic pickups and sound really good, personally, they aren't my thing, I'm looking for more vintage type pickups, (classic country type tones, brent mason brad paisley.. ) so I replaced them, BUT they are nice.

:)

5. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

I think we just play these teles more than any other guitar..... I've had mine for 15 months or so, and it is wearing. Oh well, I know a REALLY good luthier in my local area that works pretty cheap, just in case anything ever happens.

Also, just as an interesting note... I finally got a 5 hole bakelite pickguard from stewmac. Not only does it look a LOT better, it fixed the static noises, that were so annoying.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Ha, ya know you could be right about the playing quantity. I do a lot of strummin' in open G that I suppose could explain the wear.

Does the 5 hole bakelite fit right over the stock eight hole without drilling?

7. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

Mine didn't require any drilling, but it was a little bit close.. Some of the holes were just barely useable. But they went in ok, and its looks fine. I would think every guitar has the pickguard screws slightly different, so mine my be fine, yours could be perfect or horrible. My only complaint is that the stewmac guard is a teeny bit more shiny than the standard fender one. But it'll fade... and scratch. :)

8. inspectorted

inspectorted TDPRI Member

I thought that ground screw made contact with a wire going to the bridge. Is that not the case?

9. Guillermus

Guillermus NEW MEMBER!

Hi!! I have just acquired this guitar a couple of weeks ago second hand, i believe mine is from 2011. It is wonderfull, plays and sounds great.

I want to achieve the classic fender look, and I've already changed the tuners for vintage style klusons. I am considering to install a vintage style pickgaurd as well, a 5-hole bakelite black pickguard. But, my question is...
    WHAT can i do to make te neck pickup static since the vintage p.g. does not have two screws to hold it? Will i have to mount it into the body?

advice and details will be very much apprecaited! thanks!

10. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

Yes you will have to mount the pickup to the body OR you can drill mounting holes in the new guard.

11. Guillermus

Guillermus NEW MEMBER!

THANKS VERY MUCH!!!

But... Is there another way?? I mean i would rather mount the pick up to the body but... is it hard?? Has anyone done this?? thnx

12. Flattop

Flattop NEW MEMBER!

New Member in Wisconsin

Greetings from the Heartland. I brought my Fender FSR Standard Ash Telecaster (BSB) reversed control plate home from Guitar Center on Tuesday. Love this guitar, although I am letting it get acclimated to my studio before I run through a complete set-up. The frets need to be worked, as well as the neck relief and intonation, but I can already tell this one's a keeper.

I'm glad to have found the FSR BSB RCP club and will post some better images soon...

Cheers ;-)

Flattop

Attached Files:

13. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

I gotta get some recent pics of mine to post. :)

14. dad4

dad4 TDPRI Member

New to the Club

I picked one up on sat. I tried out $2300 les pauls, but I kept going back to the tele… However I was thinking on the way home something didn't seem right on the guitar, but it played and sounded amazing.
    So today I A/B's with my other mim tele and I noticed the reverse plate. I was freaking out thinking they screwed mine up os something. I started searching for something on the internet about them and found this site. Thanks for all of the info on here. Now i can sleep at night…..

15. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

I put mine back to the standard tele style pretty quickly. It's much better that way. :)

16. dad4

dad4 TDPRI Member

HA HA We call Funk 49……. Funk 49,000, cause we play it all the time…..
    I love that song

17. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

Aren't the Joe Walsh Songs just great though? :)

18. Visceral

Visceral NEW MEMBER!

New to the FSR BSB Club!

Been a member for a bit, but this is my first post. Hello fellow club members. I just received my FSR BSB today. Has a small ding in the back right side. For this reason I got this treasure for $382. I may relic her anyway. I was wondering if anyone else has relic'd this guitar. This finish is not really ideal, but I would be open to suggestions.

A lot of folks have said that the pups that come stock are great. I wanted to wait and see and give them a chance. I am going to be switching the pups immediately. I am replacing them with the '51 Nocasters or some custom hand wound single coils from a great guitar man here in Chicago. The custom pups will pack a better punch. We shall see.

I have a '52RI BSB Hot Rod. I love her. But for the price difference I was wrong to spend so much. I have a '72 RI Thinline with custom pups and a 5-way switch that is a MIM. Got it for less than $500. The MIMs are where it is at. Now, I can absolutely see the neck difference in the MIA Hot Rod. It plays so smooth. I am hoping my guitar guy can work the frets down a bit to get that smoothness on my new FSR.

Overall, I may never buy a tele more than $500 again! Very impressed... Most everything sounds good through an original '68 Silverface Deluxe Reverb, though. Thanks father-in-law!

Attached Files:

19. dad4

dad4 TDPRI Member

+1 on Joe Walsh…..he has big ole meat hooks...

20. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

Hey, I have asked before, about tuners, and I'm looking at these ones....
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kluson-6-In-Line-Vintage-Tuning-Machines-102304565-i1472368.gc
    But I have heard so many times that they will need different bushings, and one guy on here said he bought them and put them on his FSR no problem. I really like the look, and the feel, I've always liked better, and restringing is much easier to me with the vintage slotted tuners. Again, I have asked before, but not in much depth.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.