Fry's electronics

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SacDAve, Oct 15, 2019.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Fry's is a large electronics store they carry resistor to big screen TV's the one thing they didn't have is service. Looks like the are going out of business. Haven't been to one in our area ( Roseville Ca) what a surprise. If there is one in your area is it closing? The little bit I read looks like the whole change is going under. IMG_5811.jpg IMG_5812.jpg

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I'd say so. The one in Campbell is the same story. I asked the cashier. "I don't know sir". If they're NOT going out of business this is a funny way of showing it.

I went to buy a MOUSE. They had none.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I used to visit the one in the Phoenix area and the one near San Jose when I was in those areas. Haven't heard anything about them closing.

4. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

The one here is going full blast, Fountain Valley. They send me daily emails on Deals. I will be in that neighborhood later. I'll go and see. I need a GRAID addition to my system.

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I like the stores, but they built them in inconvenient locations in the Atlanta area for me.

The Director of Propaganda at Fry's is not telling it like it is. It may be that they are on credit hold with vendors and/or factors will not take the receivables and/or credit insurance underwriters will not insure receivables for sales to Fry's.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/10/frys-electronics-isnt-restocking-goods-in-multiple-stores/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6719...oon-close-seeing-same-fate-toysrus/index.html

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

What's happening to Fry's could educate a person as to what it MIGHT look like if Guitar Center falls into ruin.

So amazing that there are still Radio Shack locations in places like Vernal, Utah. !!!

And Durango, I think.

Wildcard_35 and SacDAve like this.
  7. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I have been to a couple in the SF Bay Area. I was lucky to find that they restocked desoldering tape at the Palo Alto store after about 3 months of not having any. That store had a lot more stock than the Campbell store which is barren as someone mentioned. Funny thing I saw while I was at the Campbell store was a few people working feverishly restocking Doritos and the like. If they aren't going out of business they are putting on a pretty good act.

simond likes this.
  8. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

So, an unofficial report from Fountain Valley. The store close in Palo Alto and a few others is from lease expiration and no renewal. The person I talked to said the new Tariffs on items from China have not been sorted out and restocking items has been very difficult. Therefore shelves are less stocked. People have been laid off also. But in reference to that the Frys that is my local will sometimes ship to me same day. Yep. Order it in the morning and there it is at the door before 8pm. They still send me ads for all of the stuff they did before. But I could see many stores closing as they move towards home delivery. Time for some of you youngins to start a home delivery service and contract out.

9. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Vernal Utah thank god I still have my battery card

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Makes sense. Doritos don't come from China do they?

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I honestly thought Fry's folded years ago. Don't believe they ever caught on here.....too much competition. I can't remember all the names of big "warehouse"-type electronics stores that have come and gone in the last twenty or thirty years. Seems like the last time I went in Best Buy they were pushing mostly white goods. (appliances) Anyway......big whoop!

Obsessed likes this.
  12. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Frys in Phoenix is still there, but nowhere near as busy as it was a few years ago. They carry a lot less inventory, almost to the point that the shelves are nearly empty.

For the footprint of the store, I am surprised they still have two locations here, let alone still in business.

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I always stock up on lead solder and components when in the US at a Fry’s.

Our UK equivalent, Maplins, folded a couple of years ago. Was always going in getting bits and pieces. Shame.

Going to see a lot more fail with internet and margin killing trade shenanigans.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Yup, I assumed they were long gone too.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

I once read a joke about Fry's. Someone observing that the line in front of the "returns" counter was the line those entering today would be standing in tomorrow.

Then I learned the hard way. It wasn't a joke.

16. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

i did business with them once and had to return the junk. yes it took me over an hour, and after being accused of thievery I got my credit card refunded.. bye bye Frys

17. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Weird shop. I visited once here in Chicagoland and didn’t go back. Ours was an electronics store with a restaurant...just didn’t make sense to me. And they didn’t have what I wanted. The cherry on top.

18. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

When I lived and worked on the Peninsula, which was 24 years ago (that's when I moved here), I used to buy a lot of hardware and software at the Palo Alto store. I did lots of returns with no problems and short wait times. An interesting trivia tidbit about them is that the company was originally a Supermarket chain which then ventured into tech, and that's why they have snacks and soda at the checkout line, just like in a Supermarket or a Walmart. When I moved here in '95, Fry's was just starting to sell consumer electronics like TVs and stereos. Before that it was all computer software and hardware because of the booming new home PC market.

19. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I was living in Palo Alto in the early 80's when only the original Sunnyvale store was open. At that time the computer and electronics stuff was in the back corner of the grocery store.

At times I worked closer to the San Jose Brokaw location and would go there. That was the one done up like a Mayan temple and as you were standing in line you'd see "frescoes" of the Mayans torturing and killing... ah... whoever Mayans tortured and killed.

I ultimately came to realize that this was a visual metaphor for the Fry's shopping experience. Much of their inventory was "pre-opened" which is to say someone else had bought it and returned it. Even though it was under warranty, quite often it actually wouldn't work or have missing parts and you'd have to come back and stand in the returns line. I got a little tired of that.

In recent years it became more of a destination for my sons, so I could show them how it used to be, prior to Amazon delivering everything by drone.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

The Palo Alto store is done up in a cowboy theme. Wonder who they tortured?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.