Frustrated with Nashville tele...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telephonic, Mar 5, 2010.

1. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Reviving this old thread to say thanks! My Nashville just didn't sound right, and I was starting to look at suggestions for replacement pickups.

After reading all your posts, I decided to tinker with the stock setup. How crazy is this...I lowered the middle pickup flush with the pickguard, and disobeyed my Fender manual to go 9 or 10 64ths on the neck and bridge... and voila! No more muddy tone. I think these tex mex pickups aren't inherently bad; they just require a different setup. I play through a 15" Delta Blues, and it's such a good match for this guitar.

Thanks again.

2. mickg

mickg Tele-Meister

I think the Nashville is a concept you go for for something a bit different to the normal Tele. I have a home made of the same config and eventually I switched pickups to basicly turn it into a Strat with Tele body. I have EMG Vince Gill set pickups and I love that guitar , especially for blues, but its not really a Tele, just another great guitar with a different sound. With the current switching system your Nashville wiull never sound exactly like a Tele, but try some great pickups in it and you may come up with a great sounding guitar. As for the fret buzz, let a good luthier look at that before you invest any money in pickups or anything else at all. If it's unplayable, no need to spend money on getting it sounding great is there. Cheers Mick

3. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

I too wresteled with my Nashville tele for a long time and in the end, sold it.

If you like 'em that is great but they are not for me. The neck, the frets the sound and the middle pup in the way wasn't my cup o' tele.

Even a pup swap in the bidge and a vintage bridge with 3 saddles couldn't help me find what I was looking for so I hear what folks are saying when they complain about the Nashville teles.

I guess I am old skool, strats with 3 pups and teles with 2 (or one). Once again, Leo got it right the first time!!!

But then again, I know a lot of folks love them so it is not that they are a bad rig, just different strokes for different folks.

4. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

I too wresteled with my Nashville

Only mine was a Power Tele with the piezos. I got it for $260 because some foolhardy kid (I presume) tried to relic it with a belt sander. Abhorent is how it looked. I heat gun peeled the thick finish, sanded, putty'd, primed, and painted the body in a creamy yellow, not unlike the MIM Road Worn 50's. I sanded the back of the neck almost back to bare wood, and between the frets to get rid of a very poorly applied stain to mimic an aged neck. (Yes, dripping stain on a ROSEWOD FRETBOARD!) I pulled out the middle PU, put on a compensated three brass barrel vintage style bridge. After a distinguished builder here on the froum recommended i lower the PU's for more twang, I love the sound of this thing. I really like the tex mex's, though they're often maligned, and they work great for my needs. it is still a bit ugly... somewhere between a so so paint job and a road worn relic job. anyway, I agree... lower those tex mex's for the best (and very good IMO) sound. So, it's really not a Nashville now, but I think they have great potential if found very cheap.

5. onlybrowning

onlybrowning Tele-Meister

I was surprised to hear the responses to the Nashville Tele. I bought one over the winter, and it immediately took the place of my Highway One. I also changed to a Wilkinson Bridge (simply because I like the feel of the 3 saddles under my palm more), and put in an electrosocket. I loved the sounds I got from it so much that I chose to do this style for my first custom build. Every single person that I asked loved the tone of it through my Peavey Classic 50 410. I just love the middle and bridge pu together. I think it is the ultimate southern rock, modern country, and outlaw country sound. Just my opinion.

6. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I liked my first Nashville Tele a lot better once I swapped out the stock pups for something decent. The tex-mex pups just never did it for me, however I adjusted them. But once I put in some SDs in neck and bridge and a DiMarzio in the middle, it took on a whole new life. A friend has it now, her first electric.

The second Nashville Tele I got had 3 fender vintage noiseless pups, but these didnt do it for me. It got sold.

I agree with prior comments about getting rid of the 6 saddle bridge, but swapping out the pups is even more important IMHO. Otherwise, a fine guitar.

7. ted j. kale

ted j. kale Tele-Meister

Nashvilles are great!

Got mine a few years ago when they stopped making the amber color. It plays all the sounds I need, Country, Rock 'n Roll, Shadows Instrumentals and everything in between, Love it! all stock but a good set up and it's micky mouse. Use a Music Man RD!112 amp. guitarpics 012.jpg

guitarpics 016.jpg

8. Knotty

Knotty TDPRI Member

I love Nashvilles. I have 2, 1 is a MIA Deluxe with a humbucker in the neck , the other is G&L ASAT Classic S ( nashville with SSS ).
    I think the important thing is that a `Nashville` is a different Tele. It wont sound the same as a standard one. They arent Teles or Strats, but Nashvilles. My understanding is that they started with session players in Nashville, hence the name.

9. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Mine got surgery a day or two after following me home. I put on a Wilkinson bridge with Budz saddles, buds pups, and got a complete neck tune-up done - levelled and crowned the frets, dressed the sides, and had the neck rolled a little. Turned it into an impressive guitar, but I also found it difficult to get rid of the string buzz, so I moved on (after putting the stock gear back in it - lol).

10. Turtletwang

Turtletwang Tele-Meister

The best thing about a Nashville is the neck! :D

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm curious whether to some extent this "bad tone with nashvilles" thing is because of magnetic pull from the middle pup. I'm not talking about wolf tones etc.
    Do you think this affects the tone of instruments, so we're "used to" certain amounts of pull robbing sustain etc from certain guitars and not others? I remember wiring up one of my parts teles before I had the neck pup installed and being in awe of the sustain and touch response of it, and less so once the whole thing was put together.

12. esquire2

esquire2 Banned

the "Nashville" moniker is just the added middle pickup to give out of phase strat tones. more often than not it was3 distinctly different flavored p'ups to cover a lot of ground in the studio.

13. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Not in my experience, I removed my middle pup and it still sounded the same. Thats when I knew it was time for me to move on.

I am getting to a point in my life that when I buy a guitar, if it needs a bunch of mods to make it right (in my eyes), I know bought the wrong guitar!

14. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

You could get a luthier with a very good 'rep' to do the changes that Boris suggested, if you're not up to it.
    I trust my guy-he's no guitar hack.

15. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My MIM Nashville had all kinds of snap, growl, and twang.

16. m.hallier

m.hallier TDPRI Member

I also have a Nashville tele with the same problem and probably the worst neck ive ever seen on anything. I upgraded pots caps switch jack turned it into an esquire still sucks. Trying to get rid of mine

17. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Tele-Holic

I was getting frustrated with mine too last week. actually had it on here and my local CL for sale,was gassing for a CVC. then I plugged into my Hot Rod Deluxe and tried some of my pedals with it,it's a keeper! a little compression and/or distortion goes a long way. luckily no one made a reasonable offer on it,as I know I would regret it some time down the road. I'm awaiting a set of Fender American Series saddles for it (couldn't switch to the ashtray and brass barrels,it's a Nashville Power Tele),and thinking of having a new nut cut for it as well. will a new nut (bone) and saddles make a difference?

[​IMG]

18. krusty

krusty TDPRI Member

Hmm. I love mine. It's a partscaster with a fantastic Warmoth quartersawn neck with stainless frets. The out of phase sound is a must for some of the styles I play, and I wired it with a push-pull pot to allow the neck/bridge combo that is an important part of the Tele sound. Pickups are all Bareknuckles, and through my Mesa Triaxis/2:90 setup, it sounds fantastic. I also put a Hipshot Trilogy on it for slide work and omitted the string guides on the headstock to allow better stability when switching tunings. Great guitar. Jazz, blues, dirty Delta slide, etc. All are superb. the Triaxis probably helps a bit with the versatility, though.

19. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So long as you don't think of it as a traditional Tele, you'll be OK. Kinda like comparing Kim Basinger & Lady Gaga. Both really good-looking blondes, though (IMO).

05-Nash-Tele.jpg

20. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

LOL - just realized I double posted - slight brain-fart.:D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.