Frusciante tone in a small amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axegrinder77, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I just bought an Origin 20. Great amp. Will be selling my DSL5, Pro Junior and maybe SL5. The origin is the tone I like and VERY versatile in volume adjustment with 3 modes. 1, 5 and 20 watt (at a guess).

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  2. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

3. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I consider John Frusciante to be the Chad Smith of guitar players.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  4. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Couple things - Tone-chasing is never going to get you all the way there. All you can hope to do is get close. None of us are John. And none of us can gig with his gear (though it would be awesome).

John ran his Jubilee in stereo with a Major. So, the Origin might in fact get you close enough to that combined cranked Marshall sound. Trying to find a Jubilee sound in the Princeton probably isn’t going to work. But it’s a great-sounding amp in its own right, and having two amps has a lot of practical value.

You don’t need to go all out and convert all your gear to Froosh stuff just because you’re in a RHCP cover band. You probably won’t be forever, and you might miss that Princeton if you let it go.

To see if the Origin is right, figure out how you’re going to get from the rhythm/riff parts to the distortion, lead, high gain stuff, and back. Can the boost on that amp give you all that warmth, singing distortion and sustain? (I haven’t played one, so I seriously don’t know) Or are you going to use a pedal - something like a DS-2? If that amp covers those two things with your preferred method, you’re already most of the way there.

5. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I sure hope this works out for you finding his tone..I really do.. I just never understood why the chase..I've been playing for what seems like forever now and never once thought about copping another guys/gals tone-sound..I'm just happy with mine own signature, besides to late in the game now.. be happy in your discovery

6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 TDPRI Member

Because I'm doing a rhcp project, so obviously I like him. I love his tone as well. If you're one of the only musicians ever who didn't imitate your idols in some way, then congrats to you. It's not really that confusing

7. Axegrinder77

You have some good points. I actually tried a ds2 and it wasn't for me. I knew right away it was coming off the board, regardless of the fact it's John's staple.

Ya the Princeton is my amp.. I upgraded the speaker and I love what it does. I miss it when I play other people's amps.

I might try to grab an Origin 20 used. That way in a year or two when this project is over, I can just sell it if it's not a core piece of my long term rig at that point.

Running both in stereo can also give me a volume boost I'll likely need for shows, and I can run chorus to greater effect. So tempting!

8. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Yeah the boss DS1 or 2 into a blackface fender has never done it for me either. A Rat pedal seems to work better into Fender blackface amps.

9. Axegrinder77

Atm I'm getting by with a muff and a tube screamer. I found stacking them sounded closer to John's ds2 sound than an actual ds2. You're right, it's probably my amp. I actually think it has something to do with his CE1 and Ibanez wah as well. Those are notorious tone suckers, so he probably sought something harsh to cut through that.

10. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

John's used a Muff at various points as well. I think the DS-2 has been his main-squeeze distortion throughout the years, but he has certainly used others, as well.

Regardless of what you use, also keep in mind the relationship between gain coming from a pedal and from the amp simply being loud. He could also be using the pedal less for gain (though with a DS-2 that's almost certainly at least part of the point) and more to drive the amp with the level control.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  11. allesz

allesz Tele-Meister

Try a Jet City 20 or 22, head or combo.
    It's a great Marshall clone that cost peanuts used.
    I had the head for a couple of years and I always though It sounded very RHCP.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  12. Axegrinder77

Running the 68 Princeton in stereo with an AC15... Just because my singer has one to lend. Improvement, but doesn't sound like the marshall. Oh well. I used the normal channel. Will try the top boost channel tomorrow night. My concern is how poorly those vox amps seem to take dirt pedals.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  14. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

I stumbled across this once - I am an old school RHCP fan, but never really tried to emulate his sound at a reasonable volume - but I did. This is the BSSM sound I'm talking about. An old stock Blues Jr. (Fender special design speaker, whatever that is) with the master cranked and the volume on about 4, with a compressor barely on in front of it. Then, for distortion, a DS-1. That is the closest I've ever heard.

Edit: The guitar was a strat, of course, with Lace Hot Golds.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.