Frusciante tone in a small amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axegrinder77, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I'm sorry for two things.. This may have been done (similarly) before, and this is a Tele site. However, I don't have as membership on any Strat forum and I'm a Tele card carrying member. Just bought a beautiful Strat recently for this project- a chilis cover band! Cool eh?

So, onto amps.

I have a fender 68 custom Princeton reverb. Swapped the speaker to a celestion g10 vintage.

Amp is nice. A little bassy/muddy. Added an eq
    pedal which helps (drop 200 and 400 Hz)

With the awesome Strat, and sometimes the Tele, it's close, but I feel I could get better, glassier tone at times.

I know people on forums have stated the obvious: get a marshall combo like the new 20 or 40 watter, but I actually tried the 40 in the studio ( dsl or something like that - all tube, not super cheap) and it sounded weak, thin compared to my princeton.

I was thinking maybe to add the 65 prri and run both. But is that overkill? Can I work a trade to something better? Please don't say the 68 deluxe. Had it, scaled down to the Princeton. Too loud, I'd rather mic a lower wattage amp. But that doesn't mean I'm adverse to suggestions of other amps with more wattage.

Thanks. Your help and input is appreciated, as always.

2. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Work with what you've got. The audience cares about groove, feel and timing, not the nuances of tone. Tonally, close enough is good enough.
    If you want to get closer, I second the Dave Simpson channel, and also suggest you look at what he does with an Orange CR120. The CR60 has the same front end, with a different power section. Good tone can be had from solid state!

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Frusciante is a Marshall Silver Jubilee user.

Marshall has a 20 watt Studio Jubilee previously sold as the Mini Jubilee. Sounds fantastic with anything including my Gretsch.

12" Greenback. Solid performance. Loud as a bandmates HRDx.

Made in Bletchley UK - not cheap.

scelestus likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not sure what tone you seek. More glass (old american chime)..thing?
    Have you tried a SF champ ? Pure chime would be prob Jensen
    perhaps bumped up to 10 or 12 or jupiter 8

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Axegrinder77

We tried "Higher Ground" last night. I immediately knew I could not achieve that tone. It's clean but pushed. This was from his Mother's Milk era, and prior to his staple setup of Strat -> Jubilee/Plexi, I believe. But I quickly realized that i'm farther than I thought in achieving his tone.

Maybe i'll just work with what I have and eventually add a second amp if I cant restrain myself. Perhaps a blackface fender? Or maybe look into the Jubilee combo mentioned above. I kinda like the idea of running two princetons :) One SF and one BF... that could be pretty cool and versatile for just about anything I would do. Or maybe something like a pro jr w/ the EL84s to compliment the CPR?

I know I know, i'm meandering. Thanks for reading and giving your thoughts.

Axe.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Can you describe what you mean by "pushed". Do you want more bottom end? Less break up? etc..
    The Celestion G10 is a wimpy little speaker used as a single speaker.
    The '68 PRRI is noted as dirtier/muddier than the 65 version.
    I run a PR at about 6.5-7 on the treble and 4 on the bass as it's a little bassier amp than say a Deluxe.
    In a band mix any PR can get a bit overwhelmed at times.

OK, I just tried to review RHCP videos on that song. Every video I can find is very muddy so it's a bit hard to hear. But what I hear on guitar is a very mid scooped 80's tone (even though it's a Marshall amp) Thin sounding mostly, not big, fat and bold.
    I'm not sure a PR is the amp for that tone really. A old Fender red knob Super 60 etc would be. ....or something like that. But the best I can say is try messing more with the EQ pedal.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Wildcard_35 and Axegrinder77 like this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use a Strat into an Egnater Tweaker, typically on the "US" (Fender-ish) setting, along with a Keeley-modded Boss DS-1, Dimebag Darrell Wah and/or MXR Dyna-Comp where needed. It gets pretty Frusciante when I want it to.

The gear is not irrelevant, but in my experience getting a Frusciante-like tone is more down to what you play and how you play it. What you play through only has to not get in the way of that.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  9. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I can’t give you a specific model, but I’d think you could achieve greater overall tonal flexibility with a 12” speaker in that amp. If you go that route, pay attention to the speaker’s dB rating. It plays an enormous role in the amp’s overall volume.

If you’re seeking more breakup, go for a lower rating. If you need more headroom, go higher. Or just buy an Eminence Maverick, which is adjustable.

I’d also suggest that you work more with small, incremental EQ changes. Between that and the tone knobs on your amp/guitar, you SHOULD be able to dial in just about any tone you’re looking for.

If you thought you were close, but it wasn’t right during rehearsal... try switching pickups mid-song. Adjust your tone control a little. If you can’t dial it in that way, THEN tweak your EQ pedal a little.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just buy a classic Marshall circuit amp!
    Good heavens not another Princeton...

Even a used Tiny Terror would be better than a Princeton for those sort of Frusciante sounds.
    That amp was designed to nail the early AC/DC Angus sound, which was all an early Plexi Marshall.

Now that the TT isn't the latest new hip gear rage they are inexpensive and plentiful.
    I think the combo version is even smaller than a PRRI.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

As you noted Frusciante's sound was strat into a Marshall. The pushed tones that seem to be escaping you sound to me like the classic difference between the traditional scooped Fender vs. mid-forward Marshall tones. While I certainly agree with @SixStringSlinger about the primary importance of technique, I don't think a the BFRI Princeton is going to make any real difference from what you currently have.

If I was you, I'd try my strat through a Marshall Origin since that is a fairly low cost Marshall option -- certainly less than the '65 Princeton RI.

Chief101 and Axegrinder77 like this.
  12. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Some great recommendations above, but Dave Simpson is your guy. He’s reviewed a ton of amps (and pedals) on his YouTube channel, and he manages to get the John time out of almost all of them. If what you have doesn’t get you there, Boss Katana, Peavey Bandit Redstripe, Orange crush combos or CR120H are worth a try. Not sure about the Mini Jubilee just yet, but might work.

Dave would also recommend you try a Marshall Jackhammer or Tone City Golden Plexi pedals to approach the main Froosh rhythm Strat/Tele guitar tone. Happy hunting!

Antmax likes this.
  13. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

I’ll add that Higher Ground is not the most representative of what I consider John’s signature sound. Think of strat neck pickup riffs like Under the Bridge, Scar Tissue or Dani California, as well as Can’t Stop (bridge pickup), Tell Me Baby, etc.

If you’re trying to faithfully cover the RHCP catalog, those are the sounds to focus on.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  14. SixStringSlinger

Agreed. I'd also add Californication for its compression. Probably more of a studio thing than a pedal, but something you might want to emulate if you want to Froosh.

15. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

I almost included Californication in my list, but I was getting carried away. And he plays a Gretsch white Falcon on that one. Same with Otherside. Both very doable on a single coil guitar, but not quite the classic John sound.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  16. Axegrinder77

Good points guys. That's why I feel close.. I am getting nice tones for songs on the Californication album and almost as good for BSSM. I guess I shouldn't get too hung up on capturing ALL his eras. I can fake it for higher ground, after all, there are 3 other musicians in this cover band. They can pull a little more weight on that one maybe.

I heard he used a Soldano on Mother's Milk. If that's true, then maybe it explains that higher ground tone. Those are have really ballsy pre-amp sections, no? Kinda like mesas if i'm not mistaken. What I meant by "pushed, but clean" maybe.

As an aside. I tried the DS2, and it was horrible for my rig. Returned it. Trying an Empress Distortion tonight. I'm hopeful that will fit the bill. Also run a muff, comp, wah, phase (since it's what I have and it often works in place of chorus), dmm delay (just because its my favorite pedal - I can back it off and have my own flavor on solos etc).

whoanelly15 likes this.
  17. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

If you ever get a chance, you should share some sound clips. Sounds like fun!

Also... Snow! Might be the quintessential John tune. Cheers!

18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Fender AB763 type small amps with scooped mids and the bass-challenged farty bottom end will never get you Strat through pushed-Marshall tones.

They just don't have the output iron or sagless rectifier with big caps.

Setting the mids and bass high a Fender it just sounds ugly to me. On most Marshalls you can push 7 mids, 8-10 bass and you get the woody chunk, even clean.

Fenders do what they do well. I don't think the tone you're looking for is there.

19. SixStringSlinger

You may be onto something here. I seem to remember John's gear on Mother's Milk being different from what we consider "normal" for him from BSSM-on. There's a pic in Anthony Kiedis' autobiography with John playing something that looks like a pointy-headed, Ibanez-like Super-Strat, and Kiedis writes that that was the guitar John was using when he first joined the band (and Mother's Milk was, of course, his first album with them).

20. Axegrinder77

I noodled on a marshall origin 20 combo in the store the other day. I immediately heard Frusciante clean riffing tone.

Man it's tempting... Thoughts on running it parallel with my 68 Princeton? I know he ran two. The origin is plexi like I think, so my fender would have to fill the crunchy jubilee stuff. Or however it works out. I have a feeling it could be glorious! But is two smaller amps more sensible than just trading up to one great amp? I do really like the fender though.

What I heard in that amp is definitely what I felt was missing. It's not the heavy stuff, it's that squeely pushed liquid clean, if that description makes any sense. Think "righteous and the wicked."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.