Frontman 25r reverb tank question …

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Obsessed, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I was wondering that since the 25r is a SS amp, then the reverb tank does not require a tube. Therefore, is there a circuit that I could add to a different amp that could add a 25r reverb tank?

I came across this old thread https://www.tdpri.com/threads/frontman-25r-reverb-changeout.559158/. This thread talks about changing out the inexpensive 25r tank for a higher quality tank. This seems like exciting potential, but I have never dived into an amp yet, although I can build just about anything and have successfully modded pedals.

Anyway, any light on this subject pro or con would be very appreciated. And yes, I am fully aware of the possibility of opening up a new rabbit hole of building my own amp, which I always envy others that do.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So... adding a digital reverb to an amp... I dont see why not but probably more complicated than just a reverb pedal now days...

Obsessed likes this.
  3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Obsessed and Jowes_84 like this.
  4. Obsessed

Well, you are following my thought process exactly. I just don’t know and was wondering about it. I think a lot about the reverb in those amps, but I have not played one for well over a decade. I usually have a touch of reverb from a pedal on all the time on every single amp I own. It just seems like something to pursue for a future amp. My Champ 12 has a cardboard tank reverb that is worse than my pedal, so I know that there is potential in my pursuit.

5. Obsessed

Ooooh, super thanks for the links. I’ve been a tube guy for a very long time, but I have added two S.S. Amps and starting to rethink the whole thing as I simplify/downsize my gear. Plus my latest pedals are amazingly good. I dunno, just seems like an idea to learn about.

PhredE likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, I have a Champ 12. It seems to me the equivalent of what you are inquiring about though... I haven't evaluated it's design, but there is no reverb tranny or anything so....
    being a light user I often prefer digital reverb as used in SS amps, the Fender tube reverb is too much for me. Right now I'm thinking of just getting a reverb echo pedal, the demo on the NUX Atlantic Reverb/Delay sounds better than anything I've tried.....

Obsessed likes this.
  7. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

Well, wait, aren't we talking about a spring tank here, not digital? In the Frontman 25r there are a couple of OpAmps instead of tubes for drive/recovery, nothing digital there.

But yes, depending on which amp, it'll be a bit of work. Plenty of schematics for such circuits.

Obsessed and PhredE like this.
  8. Obsessed

Yup, that is what I was wondering about. Seems like the 25R tank should be operated by some OpAmps, but that is beyond my knowledge base. Where would I look for such a schematic, or do I try to determine the circuit off of the 25R?

9. Obsessed

Point well made. I too am very happy with both of my reverb pedals and I suppose I should keep it simple and stick with what works. Maybe it’s the pain killers while recuperating from a root canal that is causing this crazy idea.:rolleyes:

schmee likes this.
  10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Obsessed likes this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Very happy with the Reverb in my Frontman 25R.
    Since changing out the speaker this amp ( even the OD channel) knocks me out.

Did 2 gigs with it today and averaging 1-2 gigs a week now and the Frontman continues to surprise me. ( got it April 2020, $50!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.