Frontman 25R club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by wb4h, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Five Aces

Five Aces Tele-Meister

The 25R is definately excellent and capable for small venue situations. I ran across a guy that chopped his 25R cabinet and made an Amp Head out of it. I was actually blown away how well it performed connected to a 4x10 cab!
    I got both my 25R off of CraigsList as non-working for $10 and all they both had wrong was cold solder joints! Easy fix! So I look at them as potential projects with nothing to lose, but I definately don't plan on getting rid of them. They are just so versatile!
    One of them will definately get a speaker upgrade eventually. I'm a patient (and cheap) person in no rush and I'll wait for that next speaker deal to pop up on CraigsList!!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I will definitely get a 2nd Frontman 25R and another Pathfinder 15R ( but you never see these anymore) if I see them listed on local CL.

I have also learned that an amp emulator pedal into the PA ( I have a Joyo and a Bad Monkey) can be a best friend!
    ( I don't do electric gigs without one- as a backup)

3. Mikesk

Mikesk TDPRI Member

I bought the little 25R last summer, just to have a little living room amp. it was basically brand new, and I got it for $40.00.
    I have to say, wow! this little thing is Great!! I had the 100W 212, quite a few years ago, It didn't really do anything for me back then. I also didn't have a Tele or a strat back then, so there's that...

My kid bought me a zoom multi effects unit for Christmas last year
    it woks awesome together!
    Perfect living room rig

tap4154, Munchie99 and bluescaster72 like this.
  4. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have two Frontman 25Rs. They’re not both getting a lot of love these days.

Would it be possible to use one as a head to drive a 2x12 cabinet? What would I have to do?

5. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

I don't believe the 25r have a external speaker jack, so you would have to cobble something together.

the easiest:
    Hopefully your 2x12 matches the Frontman 25r speaker impedance (8 ohm I believe) .. you could just unplug the internal speaker, and make a pigtail to sent the output of the amp into the 2x12.

Munchie99 likes this.
  6. Munchie99

The one I saw for sale is a Twin Reverb cabinet with two 8-ohm speakers and no chassis. Would the small but valiant 25R produce some kind of acceptable sound with that? Or would I have to go straight to the project that might be behind my abilities, building a chassis from a kit or something?

7. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Well...the first issue is getting the two 8 Ohm speakers in the cabinet to show up (to the FM25r) as "8 Ohms"

If you put the speakers in series..... you will have 16 Ohms.
    If you put the speakers in parallel....you will have 4 Ohms.

The Frontman 25r needs to *see* an 8 Ohm load.

8. Munchie99

And now we understand my level of knowledge about amps. Ha! Maybe this is not the project for me. If I want another amp, I should probably just buy another amp.

Chiogtr4x and glenlivet like this.
  9. Munchie99

In fact, I could go the other way. Both of my under-used Frontmen have replacement speakers (a Ragin' Cajun and a Legend 1058). I could buy a head and use one or the other as a cabinet.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

You are kind of all over the place, what do you want?

In one post, you talk about using ( one of) your Frontman amps to power a 2X12" cab.
    But in your above post, you are now entertaining using a different amp ( head) to power one of your Frontman cabs...pretty much two opposite thoughts.

I think the beauty of a Frontman 25R with ths upgraded speaker ( I LOVE the Emi Legend) on the clean channel, +a good OD pedal gives you a great Classic Fender tone ( similar, I know the amp is not tube) in a small, powerful box.
    You add a Tremolo pedal and you have a ' poor man's Princeton Reverb '

11. Munchie99

Sure I'm all over the place. What I want is to screw around with gear and talk about it. Sorry if I've confused you.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  12. Munchie99

Funny you should say that. I have a Princeton Reverb. And just today I ordered an a/b box so I can go back and forth without having to yank any cables.

Yeah, that's what I like about the 25R; it has a great clean Fender sound. And really good reverb, to my untrained ear.

13. Chiogtr4x

Got it,
    I guess I'm constantly focused on gig purpose ( specific things I'm looking for) and portability. So I do fool around a lot with stuff, but with gigging in mind.

I can't carry anything, so I'm always looking for small/affiordable/good sound/ powerful, and that Frontman checks all the boxes for sure.

14. Munchie99

Yep, totally different points of view. My last actual gig was in 1980something. And back then I had a Martin D28 and a little PA system.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

I play acoustics at home most of the time (daily), and try to play some kind of gig ( acoustic duo or small electric band) weekly, if not more. But things are at a crawl thru the Winter as everything has been outside...

At home for electric play it's this, baby Cube! ( I'm in an apartment)
    20201018_212006.jpg

16. Five Aces

Five Aces Tele-Meister

The older version FM25R (black grille) has an ext. Spkr jack that disconnects the main speaker when used. It requires an 8ohm external cabinet. The newer Frontman 25R (silver grille cloth) has no ext.spkr. jack so you'd have to mod the chassis and add (wire) a jack. It also should only connect to a 8ohm cab. If you choose to mod it such that you have BOTH internal 8ohm speaker + external 8ohm cab connected at the same time (ie: 4 ohm load), it may work at lower volume settings but I wouldn't guarantee anything if you pushed it! You assume all responsibility and the risk of possible permanent damage.... just sayin'!

Munchie99 likes this.
  17. Five Aces

Five Aces Tele-Meister

Just a followup.... I picked up a good deal. I came across a PAIR of Eminence Ram Rods (10" 75W) on Craigslist for $80. Almost same specs and freq profile as the Ragin' Cajun but sounds just a tad warmer on the highs IMO. Big Improvement! The 25R really woke up! Side by side, It sounds just like its bigger brother 65R with a 12" speaker! Overall, quite satisfied with the results. ...thinking of installing the other Ramrod speaker in my GDEC-3-30 and see how that works...

18. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Holic

I always liked them and have two, they just are rock solid, I like the reverb clean and the gain channel so they are usable and dependable and inexpensive in relation to comparable tone.

IMG_20210121_123524080_HDR.jpg

19. Munchie99

You have two of the older made-in-Mexico model. Mine are both made of Indonesium, one black and one red.

Now I feel like my life, or at least my collection, is incomplete. Dang!

Chiogtr4x and MahoganyStratDZ like this.
  20. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Holic

Im not sure but I think the circuits are the same just the construction differs not sure about the speakers. With a ABY they sound super, one just has a slightly better clean the other gain. So it's a good match. These things are indestructible. They will be around longer than mankind. The half spring reverb blows away digital imho. I was just using 2 Katana 50s which I like too but not as durable and I didn't like the reverb.
    IMG_20200829_123603637.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.