1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

From the mouths of youth...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by O- Fender, Oct 22, 2012.

1. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I drive school bus. This morning, as I'm driving, a couple of high schoolers were talking. The conversation made me laugh:

Young Woman 1: How was your weekend?

Young Woman 2: Watched The Doors.

YM1: Really?

YM2: I'm in music appreciation with Mr. Johnson. We were listening to The Doors, Jefferson Airplane-

YM1: Fossil music.

(how I didn't crack up at that, I don't know.)

YM2: Yeah, so I borrowed The Doors movie from my aunt.

YM1: How was it?

YM2: Music's good but the guy was a drunken d---bag.

2. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much sums it up for me, too!

3. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

He's not wrong, is he? Morrison was just as described.

4. kyle1167

kyle1167 Tele-Holic

YM2: Music's good but the guy was a drunken d---bag.

My thoughts exactly.

5. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Those girls seem to have a pretty good handle on 45-year-old music. Did they switch gender during the conversation? YM1 = YW1?

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Fossil music. Right. Doors, Airplane, 1967, 45 years ago.

Makes feel old.

So I was 16 in 1967, high school age. The music of 45 years earlier is a complete mystery to me. What was the popular music of 1922?

7. DTPBUSCHPILOT

DTPBUSCHPILOT Tele-Afflicted

Charleston? Maybe. Or was that just a dance?

8. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Hits from 1922:

1. April Showers - Al Jolson
    2. Second Hand Rose - Fanny Brice
    3. I Dream Of Jeannie With The Light Brown Hair - Lambert Murphy
    4. Three O'Clock In The Morning - Paul Whiteman
    5. I'll Build A Stairway To Paradise - Carl Fenton
    6. My Man - Fanny Brice
    7. I'm Just Wild About Harry - Marion Harris
    8. Angel Child - Al Jolson
    9. Hot Lips - Paul Whiteman
    10. There'll Be Some Changes Made - Ethel Waters
    11. My Buddy - Henry Burr
    12. Mr. Gallagher and Mr. Shean - Gallagher & Shean
    13. In The Little Red Schoolhouse - Ernest Hare and Billy Jones
    14. Way Down In New Orleans - Peerless Quartet
    15. Lonesome Mama Blues - Mamie Smith
    16. On The Alamo - Isham Jones
    17. Stumbling - Paul Whiteman
    18. Do It Again - Paul Whiteman
    19. All Over Nothing At All - Nora Bayes
    20. Sheik of Araby - Ray Miller

9. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Uhhh, what a horrible movie. Poor kids. ;)

I did like one line, from his wife upon meeting a groupie, "You put your d__k in that?" Response, "Sometimes." :D

10. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

the company i work for has forklift operator training once a month.
    today was training day.
    i hear a ruckus outside, and go on out to see whats up.
    our 50 some odd year old 250 pound instructor is standing there, bieng told off by his student, all 5 foot 4 120 pounds of him.
    kid was saying-
    "you are a punk. now you are messing with the bloods. you are a *****. a dead *****!"

little miracles i say, all of them.

11. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That was a groupie? I thought it was some hollywood actress who had a thing for occult behavior? It has been a long, long time since I've seen the movie, probably not since the theatrical release (1991)

12. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I remember the Doors as a sort of medium-quality band. Except for a few tunes, most of their albums seemed forgettable at the time. In retrospect, I have to hand it to them for having a good, original sound, in large part due to Manzarek. Kreiger and Densmore were no slouches, either, and also contributed to the generally high level of musicality. But I certainly didn't think of the Doors as being at the same level of maybe 20 well-known, original-sounding bands of the era. Listening to their albums was not at the level of ecstatic experiences I had with many other bands of the time. Morrison was a great performer, though. It is hard to imagine now the infamous bust in Florida. He purportedly mimed some lewd activities that resulted in his arrest. Believe it or not, one very popular radio station in Portland, Oregon, banned the Doors from being played for 2-3 years. His poetry sucked huge. I, too, remember stories of his d*****ness.

I believe that the Doors movie contributed to their fame and legend more than any other music biographical film I have ever seen. Morrison was also an incredibly good-looking guy with the hair, leather pants, and bare chest each contributing to a powerful image he cultivated. Manzarek, hunched over the piano and Fender keyboard bass, was also a striking figure onstage. Both he and Morrison seemed very well-read, intelligent, and serious about their work. I don't see so much of that in current bands, Green Day, for example. I read an article on the Black Keys in Rolling Stone sometime last year, and was struck at how little they had to say about their music and its relation to contemporary thinking and living. Maybe the bands of the 60s got carried away with their own social importance, but they are not even in the same league as bands such as the Doors in terms of positioning themselves in the greater scheme of things. In comparison, the Black Keys spent a lot of time talking about the way they were in high school and the early days of their career.

Well, I never thought I would start a post criticizing a band, but end up praising them. Weird.

13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks! So I guess a similar experience for me when I was their age would have been listening to Al Jolson and Fanny Brice in school. :eek:

14. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

That was a groupie? I thought it was some hollywood actress who had a thing for occult behavior?

Could have been, I only saw it once back when it came out.

15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the Doors were ****e HOT, I reckon....

those guys put many bands, songwriters, players of the times.. to real shame.....

legendary music...... unique.... original....

all music was made for the times it was recorded in.... if you weren't there.. you have no real idea of the impact of Doors songs....

16. HalfEmpty

HalfEmpty Tele-Meister

that is very depressing for my generation..the only big hits that show up on the radio and everywhere else is that teeny pop bs.

17. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

so listen to the doors.
    i grew up in the eighties.
    i listened to the doors.
    i turned out fine.
    :p

18. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I got to agree. She is very perceptive. One nice thing she hopefully will be able to keep herself free from these types as she progresses.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw the Doors at their worst and at their best. At their worst, Morrison was slobbering drunk who couldn't stand up, let alone sing. At their best, they were one of the tightest fire breathing rock bands I've ever seen. They were so tight, Morrison would move his hip half an inch and the band would react.

I was in a trio that did Roadhouse Blues. We slowed it way down and had the female vocalist take the lead and then hit it hard on the "Let it roll, baby, roll" bit. That was fun.

I knew some popular music from the '40's when I was in high school, but most of it was pop stuff from movies. I didn't learn about '20's, '30's and '40's jazz and blues and other stuff until I was in college. I just hope those students' teacher played them "After Bathing at Baxters" rather then "Surrealistic Pillow."

20. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

It is a shame that a bright mind like Morrison was reduced to pining for publicity and attention with low-ball tactics and decadence, and ended up with more than a passing fancy for alcohol and the media propaganda machine.

All he had to do was stop the screaming and shenanigans, ditch the drugs and booze, and bail out of the dumb sex image. Ditch the whole thing. Correct his BAD attitude. Release a couple of silly and poor-selling poetry albums with no "Light My Fire" or "Hello I Love You." So what if Elektra would've dumped them and he had to get another job? That might've saved his life.

Unfortunately he was a guy who was groomed to be (and that really needed to be IMO) an authority figure or leader, but he almost completely lacked self-control and self-discipline, and came off as a drunk and spoiled Navy brat in a permanent psychological Frat-house, in the vacuum of west coast celebrity.

The Doors movie (juvenile, and more importantly, grossly inaccurate) IMO is what he deserves for playing his cards in such a patronizing way. Much like a killer thinking he is smarter than Law Enforcement.

I'm a huge Doors fan, btw.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.