From the "Dead Horse" files: Replacement spkr for NMV Silverface Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jimcord1, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

I have a much-loved Deluxe that I know is being held back by a crappy stock speaker.
    It's either been worn out, or was never that great to begin with, but either way, it's wonderful at very low volumes: chime-y, sparkly cleans, handles pedals reasonably well, but once the volume is set to anything above 2.5/3, it looses all it's character in the cleans department, and worse when driven.

This was confirmed by the amp guru that I had give it a once over.

It didn't need any repairs, so it did not stay for work like it's brothers, so I didn't get his take on what the perfect choice would be to cure what ails it, but I have some thoughts (and wishes) of my own that I'd like some feedback on.

I have a late 50s Jensen P12Q that I'll have to try just because it's too great an opportunity to pass up- but form what I've read, these can vary WILDLY in their tone/efficiency/durability etc., so I'm anticipating a high likelihood that I'll still be in the market for a replacement.

I've read the usual good things about Weber, WGS and (some) Eminence products, but there's information overload out there, and much of it is repetition of what's been "heard" (or read), not actually "heard", as in 1st hand experience.

Tons of YouTube, but again, so many variables, compression etc. render much of that input marginal at best.

Here's what my dream speaker will do for me:

1) Instantly Make me a great player, as talented as SRV

2) #1 was a joke.

3) Maintain pristine sparkle and chime, while never bleeding into icepick-ery

4) Handle higher volumes/natural amp overdrive whilst not flubbing/farting out.

5) Handle overdrive pedals, modulation/delay pedals without the concern listed in #4,and/or not turning into a muddy mass of indecipherable glop as it's want to do frequently as is.

6) Not cost me more than another small tube amp (ie less than $200)

This may have been answered several times, but I couldn't find this list of demands met anywhere.
    It also may be an unreasonable, if not impossible, to attain all these virtues within a single speaker, but I'm sure I can get A LOT closer than what I've got now.

SIDEBAR: Same criteria for a Twin. As I own a few, one of mine sounds incredible, but the speakers in my others are also sorely lacking.

2. ryokan

ryokan Tele-Holic

I have a Jensen NEO in my 78 deluxe, and i love it. Light weight and it sounds great. I tried a Cannabis Rex as well, and it sounded great too, but no better than the Jensen, so I put the Jensen back in since it's lighter...

3. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

I saw them listed as discontinued on Amp. Parts linked here, are they out of production, or just not avail. through AP?

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

It didn't need any work does that mean the filter caps were already replaced or did the guru say the originals are still good?

I ask because it has the symptoms for two things. One is bad electrolytics and the other is a really bad speaker.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 with BobbyZ.....if it has original electrolytics, there is no speaker in the world that will make it as good as it can be.

6. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

Alright, I guess I should clarify (and answer my own question in process?)
    I brought 3 amps in, and when the tube swap 'fixed' the deluxe, he just plugged in, said its working but agreed it sounded flubby;
    I was so stoked it worked, and not wanting to be down to no Fenders, I took it to let him focus on the 2 clearly broken ones.
    I'll probably drop it with the other Twins when I pick up the 2 he's just wrapped up before speaker questing.

7. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

If your amp is vintage, and your tech "fixed" it with a tube swap, you don't really know what's going on with that amp. Maybe take it to a real tech.

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Here are some speakers I've used in a DR that I thought sounded good and meet your criteria

Eminence Cannabix Rex, will help tame the ice pick, though I desoldered the bright cap on the reverb channel of my amp even with the Crex

Eminence Red White and Blues, another great sounding speaker in a DR

I've used a Celestion Vintage 30 which I liked a lot, adds some mids

I recently aquired an Eminence GB128 that I have not yet installed in my DR

I did try a Weber 1250 that sounded a lot like an old Jensen

There are a lot of good sounding speakers, and you don't have to spend big bucks on one either.

Since you have some other amps, why not run a pigtail from one of the 12" speakers in the other amps and try that with your DR to see how a different speaker sounds.
    That will tell you real quick if it is the amp or the speaker.

9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I put a Tone Tubby 40/40 in my 72 SFDR and I am really happy with it. I would also suggest a Cannabis Rex, I have one in a SFPR and I love it.

10. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

What you say is very interesting- in fact, you are very interesting:eek:

What is this 'pigtail' alchemy you speak of?
    (May seem like a dumb question, but) Just running a speaker cable btwn the output/speaker in of another amp?

11. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

No man, he's one of the best there is; Mark of Victoria Amps.
    I corrected myself in my follow up to my OP, that I just grabbed it back after a big "duh" moment when I found out thats all it was.
    He didn't do any work on this one.
    Since I went in with 3 amps that were out of commission for a year, and during the check in/eval process, the assistant discovered I'd left the other tubes in, so she put the 'originals' back in, and it appeared to work, but the amp was so quiet, we couldn't tell for sure.
    I asked if they had a guitar laying around for me to test it out, she said 'well let's bring it in back, Mark's testing some others out' so went in back, he just plugged in to check for me.
    It was just in his brief 'test' he just made the observation about the flubby speaker, so that's what got me really looking more seriously for a new speaker.

12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with Bobby and Wally regarding the filter caps. That is your first order of business (if other speakers that you have lying around still sound flubby.)

If you do end up needing a new speaker, I worked on a dude's SFDR today that had a Weber F150 in it, and it sounded all kinds of great all the way through the sweep of the volume knob, and yeah, I dimed it. :twisted:

13. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

+1 to these suggestions - especially the C-Rex, Vintage 30m, and a Weber (12F150 is one of the best choices)

Another nice one is the WGS ET-65, which I'm currently using.

14. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

The 12F150 is my favorite, but I think the Eminence Swamp Thang would meet the OP's criteria.

15. BobbyZ

There's got to be at least a million speakers that work in a DR and every single one has it's fans and haters.

Myself I like a speaker one day and hate it the next !

16. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

That's what I'm afraid of- I need to pick one and commit; think I'll troll Reverb for one of the names commonly found amoung the usual 5/6 that always pop up as the tops people seem to enjoy

17. J.Rodney

J.Rodney Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a Eminence Swamp Thang in my '65 BFDR that sounds very good to me, it is loud.It takes a while for a new speaker to break in and sound its best IMHO.

18. BobbyZ

So far I've been liking an old C12N but I also like the Weber SigB and I might try a Greenback.
    If I needed more volume I bet a Swamp Thang would be nice.

19. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I'm with the replace the filter caps crowd because the distortion has dropped to the bottom of the volume dial. That's likely not a speaker issue. If the tube swapped fixed this, than you are good to go.

20. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

A) No clue bad caps yielded these results, and

B) The tube swap merely fixed my stupidity around why it wouldn't fire up- did nothing to aid the flub- merely allowed it to be played through, and an objective confirmation of my perception of the less than stellar bass response, as it was my 1st DR, I wasn't sure if "that's just how they sound" or if in fact it's sub-par quality compared to what it's supposed to sound like.

I'll likely have to wait, sell stuff or seek aid elsewhere as my budget can't weather another heavy blow like that...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.