From the Ashes of a Great but Unloved Amp...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by shortcircuit, Nov 20, 2019.

1. shortcircuit

shortcircuit Tele-Meister

The GA-100 is no more, but Dr. Frankenstein has been busy...

overview.jpg

Just need to hook up the transformers and the NFB/presence circuit. All octal tubes...

cf.jpg

...except for this little guy. There will be a voltage divider going to the grid of the second triode. I'll clip in a 1M pot and figure it out once everything's hooked up.

Attached Files:

2. mabinogeon

mabinogeon TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I have three quick questions, if you don't mind:

1 - Where do you get that pre-drilled turret board? None of my usual vendors have it.

2 - Where do you get that clear lead insulating tubing? I use scraps of stripped wire, but am running low.

3 - What are those spirally looking things I see on a couple of the resistors and caps? Solderable lead extenders? Where do you get those?

Thanks much for your time

3. shortcircuit

amplifiedparts.com

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-PTFE-F4-Teflon-Tubing-Rigid-Pipe-ID-0-3mm-1-3mm-High-Temperature/331536271458

I got the 0.7mm, 0.9mm, and 1.1mm ID tubings rated for 600V. I have all of my bases covered with the three sizes.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/5f2a-ish-with-tremolo.983519/#post-9406820

4. shortcircuit

All done.

done.jpg

I set the voltage divider in front of the second triode at 470K/470K, boring. It doesn't seem need a bright cap across the top half. I'm trying to decide to whether to use a 6SL7 or a 6SN7 for the phase inverter. I had designed it so either tube can be used.

ecoast and Snfoilhat like this.
  5. mabinogeon

6. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

Nice work; this is like I'm in Little League watching the pros play.

On that insulated tubing, the (S) is the 600v, and the price listed is for a 5m length?

If you were to only buy 1 size, which would you / most versatile? I am thinking the one suited for the orange caps in your pics?

7. mabinogeon

I just ordered one of each size that he recommended above. Was $12 total for 5 meters of each size.

8. shortcircuit

The medium orange drops required the 0.9mm tubing, and the big ones, the 1.1mm. I also use a lot of solid copper wires for various duties. The 0.7mm fit 24ga, 0.9mm fit 20ga, and 1.1mm fit 18ga.

jtcnj and mabinogeon like this.
  9. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Very Nice!

10. shortcircuit

Definitely 6SN7 for the phase inverter. It sounded much more smooth, plus, I don't need the extra gain of the 6SL7 because of the high gain preamp. The 6SN7 can handle a lot more plate voltage too.

I redid the power supply. Initially, I followed the GA-100 layout, running the plates after the choke, but that was more of a Hi-Fi thing. The voltage coming out of the rectifier was lower than I had expected. I wanted a little more juice to the plates and screens, so I hooked the plates to the node before the choke, and the screens to the node after the choke. I got rid of the 2.2K resistor to raise the voltage to the preamp tubes to the level I had calculated.

Octaltron HG-6L6 Guts.jpg

Octaltron HG-6L6.jpg

Final schematic with voltages.

Ressurection Joe.png

The plate dissipation of the 6L6's were 20.5W each, and the clean output power was 35W at 440Hz.

Oh, yeah, the power transformer is a Hammond 273BX and the output transformer is a NRE Kustom 4.5K PP surplus job I picked up from Ebay a while back.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  11. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dude, my brain hurts.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Why do you lace your ground bus like that?

13. shortcircuit

Using multi-strand ground bus is like a multi-core processor in a computer. It allows the power supply to ground faster, thereby reducing hum...

I saw a build a while back with the ground bus laced like that, and I thought it looked cool. :oops:

SacDAve and CV Jee Beez like this.
  14. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Hmm interesting, I hadn't heard this before. Can you elaborate, or do you have a link to a technical discussion on the matter?

My assumption would be that stranded bus wire would perform the same as solid when the total mass of the copper is equal.

15. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I'm interested in the switching of the cathode bypass on the first preamp stage. You're choosing to ground the capacitors with the switch, leaving the other in place with the 470k resistor - which without doing any math, should effectively eliminate it. So ... since its more complex than just switching, is that for pop reduction when switching?

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  16. shortcircuit

I was being silly.:D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    King Fan likes this.
  17. shortcircuit

Yep, the 470K resistors are there to prevent popping when flipping the switch.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  18. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Dude it's all fun and games but next thing you know everyone is using stranded bus wire. Once it shows up in some build thread it's too late, you'll need to run with it! :lol:

shortcircuit and King Fan like this.
  19. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

:lolol: Yeah, the current fluxes faster if the electrons have a choice of two wires and all intersections are like roundabouts instead of stop signs. :D

Seriously, I saw this first on Doug Hoffman's builds...

Doug.png

It's pretty, true, but also "tidy" to build: consistent, fast, and easy. Doug demonstrates here:

Notice you can use fine, pliable wire to build a sturdy bus (Doug uses 24ga), and you get easy but solid wraps around the turret -- these are not component leads you might need to replace. Plus they end up at the bottom of the turret, leaving room for leads above and on top.

SacDAve likes this.
  20. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Very nice looking work. You've got photos and schematic. You forgot the audio clips. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.