From Rosewood to Pau Ferro....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Butch Snyder, May 7, 2020.

1. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

You could have just posted the link to https://www.rarewoodsusa.com/product/pau-ferro/

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I definitely don't see pao ferro as 'cheaper' or a compromise, but I can feel and hear and difference. YMMV
    What I don't get is the color/darkness thing. I do not care what a fretboard looks like.

And of course, the two I have with pao ferro boards I have because they play and sound good to me.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Just curious - why do people seem to perpetuate this idea that maple is harder than rosewood when the exact opposite is true?

Janka Specie Name
    1450 Hard Maple
    2440 E. Indian Rosewood

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My Blueridge BR-163 ( model changed a few years back from Rosewood to Pau Ferro/ Santos)
    The body is solid, and fretboard and bridge are also Pau Ferro
    Excellent volume and sustain, and what I'd call a ' green', slightly brash or barky tone, as it is still a 'new' guitar ( but a ton of play in 1.5 years). I dig it! 20190606_082250.jpg 20190606_081953.jpg

Telecaster88 and WingedWords like this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

I'm astonished that some musicians can't hear the difference between a rosewood and a maple board. I find them to be very different sounding instruments.

DougM and Antoon like this.
  6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

I have an old (1947) Gibson J-45 with Brazilian Rosewood fretboard and bridge. To my pleasant surprise I have seen many pau ferro boards look like that old J-45's. Not all, but if you are able to shop and compare I'm sure we all could find one we like.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Confirmation bias is a powerful thing. People tend to see/hear things in ways that line up with and confirm what we already believe. Different guitars with different pickups are going to sound different. There is no doubt about that. However, if you blindfold a set of test subjects, and thereby eliminate confirmation bias, and then play two different teles with different fret boards, the subjects will not be able to accurately identify which is which. Heck, there are studies out there which show that most people cannot consistently and accurately pick between Les Pauls and Teles, if they can't see what is being played.

I've built Maple neck Teles that were warmer and fatter than other Teles I've built with mahogany necks and rosewood boards. Along those lines, I have one Tele, in particular, that I built for my dad with a one piece semi hollow Honduras Mahogany body, and a base ball bat Spanish Cedar neck with Cocobolo FB (Which is as close as you can get to Brazillian RW) that is one of the brightest Teles I've ever touched or heard. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of guitar players in a blind test, if they were told that they were listening to a tele, would be absolutely convinced that this guitar is a Maple neck Tele just because it's so bright.

LutherBurger, Jakedog and GibbyTwin like this.
  8. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I had no problem with Fender replacing rosewood by pau ferro. I really like pau ferro for fretboards.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have and like both. Once amplified, they sound the same to me me but the feel is different. Kind of in the middle of rosewood and ebony, feel-wise. This is my partscaster with a Pau Ferro board. I put this together long before rosewood was on CITES.

Attached Files:

10. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

because they think it backs up their 'snappy, crisp tone' BS.

bsman likes this.
  11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Different guitars sound different, I don't think that little strip of fretboard wood is making the difference.

12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I have a pau ferro fret board on my Fender Vintera '60s Modded Tele and I like it as well as rosewood.

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Pau ferro on the comes on the new epis. I didn’t expect to like it as much as rosewood, and I don’t. But not my much. It’s better to than I expected. I’ve been playing for so long on my tele with maple that I forgot how much I don’t like it. I’ve hardly picked up my tele since I got this epi.

I don’t know what it is about maple, but strings seem to drag more, particularly when they get old and grimy or rusty. I don’t notice it as much on rosewood. And the pau ferro is more like rosewood in that way. I haven’t oiled the fretboard. I probably should, but it doesn’t seem like it needs it. It doesn’t look as pretty, though. The grain almost looks like there small splits in the wood. Too dry?

[​IMG]

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  14. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I prefer ebony or maple. But that’s just me

15. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I am not much of a musician. I would call that sad rather than astonishing.

16. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

Padauk is another really nice fretboard wood. It was used by Rickenbacker on their electrics up until around 1961 and the mystery wood fretboard and bridge on my 2019 Epi DR-100 is almost certainly Padauk.

17. ritten70

ritten70 TDPRI Member

We use a lot of iron wood (I guess that translates to pau ferro) largely because it grows on my property as a bit of an invasive species and I cut many truckloads of it 7-8 years ago. We started using it on mandolins first and then I realized it’s a pretty solid fretboard wood. Holds frets well, routes cleanly for inlays, feels kind of like ebony to me.
    Obviously we’ll use other fretboard woods if someone wants, but it is the default choice now, even though rosewood is again readily available.
    Paul

18. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Pete and Mick of Andertons did a great video that displays exactly this WRT Rosewood and Pau Ferro on two otherwise identical Fender Strats. Mick's reaction is great. This link goes right to the blind test bit of the video where he surprises himself. (edit) Well, inserted, the link is losing the time part, but it's at 24:20.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  19. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

The notion that I could hear the difference between guitars with different fretboard materials cracks me up. It took me years to hear the difference between John and Paul.

20. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Thanks for that. Jives with my own experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.