From Flatpick to Hybrid????

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Squiretele777, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Squiretele777

Squiretele777 TDPRI Member

I,ve been flat picking for 30 odd years,,trying to work 1 or 2 fingers in,its like learning to play for the first time,dont think I can,t wrap my brain around it. Anyone else tried to switch? I know it will take months and months just to get a few licks down,maybe never the way I,m going...lol.

8barlouie likes this.
  2. Allan Allan

Allan Allan TDPRI Member

Yes, there's a HARD learning curve. Start slowly, you'll get there, I've been working on mystery train for a few... MONTHS. I can almost do it.

Jim622 and Squiretele777 like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Impossible, for me. I can’t wrap my brain around doing two different things with the same hand. What I’ve been able to do is put down the pick entirely and play finger style. I play double and triple stops, thumb strums and solos, chicken picking, and more complex finger picking patterns. In fact, I play finger style about 80% of the time. There are songs I still play with a flat pick, mostly bridge pickup stuff with my Telecaster or SG. A pick and three fingers eludes me.

Squiretele777 likes this.
  4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

I give you credit for even trying. I started with just pinky on the top e. I’m almost at the point where I’m incorporating the ring finger on the b string. You can get so much more control over your tone. From whisper to pop.

5. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

I put a gel nail on my middle finger and practiced octaves and double stops up and down the neck everyday for a couple of weeks. It quickly became natural. I no longer add the gel nail but it helped when I was starting

6. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

I started using metal picks on my middle and ring finger and it forced me to hybrid pick more. I got real comfortable with them then I let my nails grow a little longer and dropped the metal picks. That did it. The metal picks were like training wheels for me.

blackguts and Squiretele777 like this.
  7. Kinsman

Kinsman NEW MEMBER!

I've been working on hybrid picking for about six months. It feels a lot more natural now, but I still have to think about it.

8. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

I played guitar without a pick when I was starting out; that helped me with hybrid picking later on. I also like to use a Herco flat thumb-pick, which lets me go effortlessly from pick to finger-style. When I don't have a thumb-pick my fingers automatically start acting as if I did, so hybrid picking happens without me trying to make it happen.

9. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Man, it's such a part of my style now that it's hard to remember how I started doing it, but I was originally a flat picker only. I think I started by "popping" chords, i.e. using the pick and fingers to pluck all the notes at once instead of strum, and using pick and fingers to cop pedal steel licks. These are relatively simple techniques because you're plucking and picking at the same time. The next step might be to arpeggiate the same chords and licks to start to work on some independence.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.