Friend's son injured... Really bothering me

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by geoff_in_nc, Oct 11, 2019.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A passing friend of mine from High School, whom I follow on FB but haven't talked to directly in ages... Her HS senior son who from all appearances is a really good kid, was jumped and beaten by four people (having a hard time calling them "people") yesterday. Broken nose, broken cheekbone, broken teeth. That's all I know... I know nothing about the assailants other than they deserve hard jail time. Despite the distance from my friend, both geographically and in time, this is really eating at me today that anyone could do this to another human.

Not sure why I'm posting this, I guess I just need to tell someone. This is really bothering me.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All you can do is offer your support. The possibilities of what the circumstances might have been are endless.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Sometimes you just need to vent, especially on some
    of the sick people out there.

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

As someone who has taken such a beating, just show your support. Especially to a teen / young adult. Leave out your own anger and dismay and be an ear.

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's lots of stuff that happens to people all the time that never properly hits us until it happens closer to home. I suppose it's just part of how we're wired (we can't pay 100% attention to 100% of things 100% of the time), but keeping this fact in mind can help us be more compassionate and understanding in a variety of situations.

Here's hoping your friends' son gets better and the assailants are caught.

6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Senseless and needless violence … thank you for caring .

Greggorios and geoff_in_nc like this.
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It sucks - life is not fair and there are some idiots and just plain malicious people out there of all sorts. Stuff like this really bothers me a lot too. Cheers, mate, you’re not alone.

Greggorios and geoff_in_nc like this.
  8. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

There are so many things that happen in this world every day that are hard to even believe, let alone understand. Most people are good most of the time, but a lot of people are bad in moments and some people are just bad almost all the time. And some are so broken and desperate they'll do almost anything to anyone. And so much bad stuff happens every day, any rational person would be outraged all day every day if we thought about all of it all the time.

But we can't. Nobody can. We can barely handle what we DO think about, let alone all of the other stuff we don't. So when it happens close to home, or to someone we know and care about, it punctures the self-protective haze we need to maintain most of the time And then we let ourselves feel it and feel it deeply. You're really bothered by it because it happened to someone you know, or used to know well, and it just brings it closer to home and you realize how vulnerable all of us are, every day. Most of us don't experience it directly and that's a blessing. But it could happen at any moment, and events like this just remind us of that. So we're at the same time outraged and empathetic, but we're also reminded that but for the luck of the draw, it could have been me, or my son or daughter. And that realization sucks and hurts...

You'll get through it. I hope your friend's son gets through it as well. And his mom, for whom it's got to be unthinkably difficult.

-Ray

9. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

See these senseless acts everyday on the news. sad, depraved individuals unhappy without goal and fewer opportunities. We are an angry society it seems, I'll remember your friend and family in my prayers.

10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I don't like to hear of these incidents but they happen all too frequently lately.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes they do. I find myself having to make a real effort to steer clear of controversy. Just way too easy for frustration, fear and anger to come to a quick boil these days for a lot people, myself included.

12. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Last week in my area a 19-yo college student was trying to diffuse a violent encounter after leaving a party. He hit his head, ended up with irreparable brain trauma, and passed away in the hospital a few days later. By all accounts, he was a great kid who was just trying to do the right thing.

I wish your friend's son a speedy recovery.

13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This crap is rampant. It's really effed up. The courts don't do much at all even if they are caught. A guy attacked an older couple in Seattle a while back with a baseball bat in broad daylight. He had been arrested 55 times in the last several years. Yep, he's out on the street again. Couldn't afford bail so the judge just released him. At least I think that was the same case, hard to remember because there's one like this EVERY night on the news.

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear about this....my best wishes to the young man.
    As to "this is happening more and more".....I wonder if that's true. There has always been violence in the world, but with today's global communication and "24/7" news outlets, are we just hearing about it more often? Also, with our "exploding" population growth, are there more cases of this, but with the same, or even fewer, per capita percentage of attacks? I will agree, we HEAR about this stuff constantly, and it's sickening. How can we recognize (early), treat, and correct these apparent cases of anger and aggression? If you can answer that, you've got my vote!!!!! :(

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  15. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I guess you re right about nowadays being more violent as before. It has always, happened, i read that in the 60 s, a violent town in mexico had 20 murders everyday.
    Back in the middle age, you wouldn t want to be out after night time.
    It can happen to anybody.

edit > i actually meant less violent. Sorry about that. Considering the number of people and the number of violent acts,today is probably safer, as i stated in my 2nd post.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My point was asking if the world was LESS violent today, taking into consideration the ratio of "violence/population numbers". And, I'm not advocating for one way or another, I'm simply asking a question.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  17. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

According to the ratio population / violence, my guess is it s safer today. Of course it all depends on where you live.

geoff_in_nc and nojazzhere like this.
  18. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hey, no politics. But thanks for the vote! :)

19. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

That’s such a disgusting thing that happened to your friend’s son.
    The older I grow, the less I can stand even the idea of violence. Even in fictional movies it becomes hard for me to watch.
    We live in a world where there is less physical violence than there used to be until a couple of centuries ago. But this violence is replaced by a moral violence, that does equal damage.
    Sometimes I wish I lived up in the mountain, all by myself...

20. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

Pretty chicken chit having to fight someone with four people.

Hope he comes out OK.

PS: That's why I have a CCW.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.