Friendly enablers, talk me out of this....

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
As Grandma used to say, "Ich darf es vi a loch in kop." I need this like a hole in the head.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-vibe-70s-telecaster-thinline-3-tone-sunburst

I've got five Teles/Esquires. Plenty of other electrics and acoustics & etc., etc. Craziness. But I keep looking at and into this one.

I'd grab it IF its neck were beefier than the C necks on most Squiers, including the Cabronita I have. I love that guitar, but that neck...I have to barely tolerate it.

So my next question: What's a good 9.5" radius deep C or D neck to put on one of these, if I have to swap it out?

EDIT: I'd carve its pickguard way back to cover just the switch/knob plate, as I love its color and (except for the classic black one on a standard Tele) dislike pickguards generally. So if I found the "OK" that this YouTuber did beneath his single coil version, at 1:25--

--how can I get that off? Dings I accumulate are texture, but a factory "OK," yech.

Thanks!

Last edited:

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Just listen to Grandma.

Playing on my heartstrings, are ya!? She would re-use a tea bag for two days, clean out and dry plastic bags to re-use for sandwiches and leftovers, never wasted a thing, never bought anything we didn't really, actually need. Born in 1897, one of a tailor's 10 kids, survived losing her husband in the middle of the Depression, with three little kids to raise, in a rough part of Brooklyn. And here I am, with more gizmos than some countries have. Most of 'em made in other countries, too.

I'll tell ya....

RedRiverII

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Sunburst or natural? Can you try one out somewhere? My Mrs. doesn't understand what a collector is or what they do, as she doesn't have any hobbies. If you want it then go get it. Life can change in a heartbeat.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Sunburst or natural? Can you try one out somewhere? My Mrs. doesn't understand what a collector is or what they do, as she doesn't have any hobbies. If you want it then go get it. Life can change in a heartbeat.

Sunburst. I have to admit, I just love the looks of it. Once I'd cut that ugly, overgrown pickguard back....

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
My buddy has one of the first run examples. Great sounding guitar!

Talk you out of it? The finish is very, very shiny, the fret wire is soft and the neck is a pencil. O.K. ?

:lol:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Playing on my heartstrings, are ya!? She would re-use a tea bag for two days, clean out and dry plastic bags to re-use for sandwiches and leftovers, never wasted a thing, never bought anything we didn't really, actually need. Born in 1897, one of a tailor's 10 kids, survived losing her husband in the middle of the Depression, with three little kids to raise, in a rough part of Brooklyn. And here I am, with more gizmos than some countries have. Most of 'em made in other countries, too.

I'll tell ya....

Well, I was born 50 years later, but was still raised the same way by parents that lived through the Depression. People don't get over that stuff - especially when they were young when it happened. Remember, these people had outhouses...

I guess my point is, it sounds like you don't really need it. But that has never stopped me with much of anything. Either one learns to be a tightwad, or rebels against it. I guess I am a rebel - with no money...

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have the 69 mij version. played a zillion gigs with it... I think I have texas specials in it. stock pickguard. our drummer used to tell me 'I know you mean business when you show up with that.'

I like thin necks and poly... but, slamming another neck in would be no big deal. just take one of the necks you like and put it on... no problema

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
So my next question: What's a good 9.5" radius deep C or D neck to put on one of these, if I have to swap it out?

Thanks!

To zoom in on this specific question - the lesser expensive option would be a TRO or TMO Fat neck from Allparts, unfinished for $110 / $115 US. You could easily spend more if you like. I'd approach this as whether or not I still wanted it for $479 + $110 - (whatever I could sell the stock neck for).

I'll defer to you as to following or not Grandma's example :D.

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
To zoom in on this specific question - the lesser expensive option would be a TRO or TMO Fat neck from Allparts, unfinished for $110 / $115 US. You could easily spend more if you like. I'd approach this as whether or not I still wanted it for $479 + $110 - (whatever I could sell the stock neck for).

I'll defer to you as to following or not Grandma's example :D.
CV necks have pretty good value, i bought a loaded Strat neck for 100.00 just recently and see even Affinity necks going for 50-75 bux.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
My buddy has one of the first run examples. Great sounding guitar!

Talk you out of it? The finish is very, very shiny, the fret wire is soft and the neck is a pencil. O.K. ?

:lol:

I can deal with the first two flaws. But is the neck seriously that bad? I think I need to get one from Sweetwater so I can send it back if so.

Good grief, we really need a pill or cult--one with a feta-based buffet, say--to conquer this GAS addiction. Sometimes I even just sit there and behold my gear, hearing it talk to me, when, in reality, it's only the neighbor's cat telling me to clean my tinfoil hat.....

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Your grandmother was right, but you are going to it anyways. I got one yesterday in white, here is a pic 20211216_161912.jpg

John Stephen

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
As Grandma used to say, "Ich darf es vi a loch in kop." I need this like a hole in the head.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-vibe-70s-telecaster-thinline-3-tone-sunburst

I've got five Teles/Esquires. Plenty of other electrics and acoustics & etc., etc. Craziness. But I keep looking at and into this one.

I'd grab it IF its neck were beefier than the C necks on most Squiers, including the Cabronita I have. I love that guitar, but that neck...I have to barely tolerate it.

EDIT: I'd carve its pickguard way back to cover just the switch/knob plate, as I love its color and (except for the classic black one on a standard Tele) dislike pickguards generally. So if I found the "OK" that this YouTuber did beneath his single coil version, at 1:25--

--how can I get that off? Dings I accumulate are texture, but a factory "OK," yech.

Thanks!

Talk you out of it??!? That's not what we're here for. And while your grandmother sounds like a wonderful person, she is wrong about this. You need this far more than a hole in the head. You just do. Interesting video, though. Good luck!

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity