Friend Always Changing Strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, Dec 29, 2018.

1. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Some people have sweaty hands or acid ph or who knows what and they kill strings fast. I am one of those people.

2. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Don't be Don Fleming of the band Gumball at this gig. He plays a Fender Jaguar and just a few notes into his first solo, busts a string. Worse, he can't change the string or change guitars because the "Backbeat" band is playing a quick medley of hits. So he just keeps on truckin' with the broken string clattering all over the place and you can hear it.

3. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I've always heard that pros change strings every gig. Sweating under the hot lights and that sort of thing. I have just never had someone tell me "strings last two weeks". I'm sure he meant in general. It's all good. Can't go wrong with fresh strings.

I'm picking up a lot of "I play gigs, so I'm a serious musician" vibe and that's cool. Hats off to you, but far more people play for fun than are regular gigging musicians. Maybe not on this page, but in the World in general. Most players will sit in with friends, play in a praise band at Church or play the occasional gig. Don't forget, if you can get in tune, and stay on time, you can probably play music. Just a matter of perspective I suppose.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  4. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

After fifty years I figure it this way. For me a set of strings lasts 20 hours of playing time.

It matters not if they are coated, nickel, cryogenically frozen or made out kryptonite.

After twenty hours there is enough fretwear on the underside of the strings that the set no longer intonates properly above the 7th fret. So after about 20 hours they’ve got to go.

I have a couple of guitars that don’t get played that much so strings will stay for a long time in calendar time. I generally put coated strings on them.

So playing time 20 hours and gone.
    Calendar time whatever.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Whoa, Jakedog! What do you do to burn through your strings like that?

At my peak back in the 70s I was gigging 15-20 sets a week plus jamming another 5-10 hours. Good times. I would get a week or ten days out of a set of Fender 150 nickel wrap before the intonation was shot, not to mention getting kinda dead. Sometimes I'd
    take them off and boil them if I didn't have a new set and had to play a gig, bring them back about 50%. :)

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I change every 4-6 hours of gigging. Buy 'em by the 10 -12 pack.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got corrosive finger crud, so if I'm playing a particular guitar a lot they'll usually last me about a month. Back in the '90s I played with a dude who never replaced his strings, and they always looked shiny and new. Play his guitar though and they were all lifeless and dull.

8. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

i never change them unless they break or have dents or winding's give out.

i dont like new string sound, my teles have a lot of zing so new strings sound harsh, metallic and fret rattle'ish to me

9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I've played 50-plus gigs this year (guitar) with one to go. I think I last broke a guitar string about 15 years ago. The D'Addario Bright Flats on my bass have been there since 1987.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Flats last forever. They also are not conducive to the type of music I play. For the record I do have the requisite P bass set up with flats ( D'Addario Chromes), but the Ric has Rotos and the Spector has EXL170s ( which last 3 times as long as the Rotos).

11. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

I've heard some people don't change their g-strings often enough.

12. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

In my early to mid twenties I played a lot, sometimes all day long.
    Usually with a band or jamming situation.
    I had one guitar at the time, and used copper pennies as picks.
    At times I was changing the strings every day, but about every 3 to 5 days was normal.

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

If you take the tone control out of your guitars you won't need to. ;)

14. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I change guitar strings every 2-4 gigs, and pedal steel every 8-10 gigs. Otherwise, I ain't got no twang.

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I change strings every gig. Nothing I hate more than breaking a string while gigging. I sweat a lot at gigs, I have somewhat of a "heavy" right hand technique, and I bend strings a lot. That combination can be brutal on strings, I've found.

Since I started the "every gig" regimen back in the late 80s, broken strings never happen....ever. I will add that the act of "changing strings" is "cruel and unusual punishment" me, but still worth it. lol

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

apparently not as common as I thought, but some of us make sweat that will corrode strings very quickly. (swear I'm not eating cheatos before playing!) If I play a guitar and don't wipe it down right after... 2wks later the strings will have dark spots everywhere. Best case they last me 3-4wks but that's given that I have 20gtrs to choose from. Back when i had one - every 2 weeks. Also, not sure if related, but they start to sound dead to me after 3-4wks even if I don't play them much. guess it's just me and that guy then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.