Friday night in the Emergency Room

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Jan 16, 2020 at 2:02 PM.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

last Friday afternoon, my wife went to our local GP (house-doctor is the Dutch term). She had a cough and quite a bit of blood came up.

The GP thought it best that she would go to the local hospital Emergency room. So we did... from 5:15 PM until 9:45 PM. It was a long visit. But she had two different blood samples taken, and a CT scan. In the end, they could not find any clear cause for the problem. They wanted to keep her in the hospital for observation overnight, but she declined - having spent far too many nights in the hospital over the last few years.

We have an appointment tomorrow at the out-patient clinic to do some more tests, etc.

But that is not the major point of my post. This is it:

we were in the Accident and Emergency Room on a Friday night. We were received and handled and released in 4.5 hours. When we walked out of the place approaching 10 PM on a Friday night, the waiting room was dark, quiet, and deserted.

I thought back to my days in Oakland CA, and the number of times I had sat in the waiting room of an emergency clinic on a Friday night. And how different that experience was.

Matt G, Bassman8, bender66 and 20 others like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Popcorn time!

3. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hoping for the best possible outcome for her. Yes, I can remember several 10hr plus visits to the Emergency Room on a weekend. The atmosphere in the waiting rooms was akin to the bar scene in Star Wars IV. No fun.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020 at 8:42 AM
    Matt G, Bassman8, Mike Eskimo and 3 others like this.
  4. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

There's a long list of reasons why your ER experience in The Netherlands was vastly different from the one in the US.

None of which are permitted to be discussed here.:D

Best wishes to your wife and you.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hope she's better!

I had something similar years ago. The doctor said that I had coughed so hard I broke a blood vessel in my throat.

He said if I noticed blood in my stool that they would need to see me again. Luckily that didn't happen.

Again, I hope she's on the mend.:)

Bassman8 and jhundt like this.
  6. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

ER can be crazy especially Friday and Saturday nights.
    Hopefully you will get good answers at the GP appointment.

Bassman8 and jhundt like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I went to the ER in a hospital near Delancey St in NYC in circa 1990.
    Bad neighborhood but my thumb has so infected and swollen it was ready to pop.
    The floor tiles were worn through in high traffic areas to the point where only the corners remained.
    Big black ladies signed me in to the waiting room.
    Most others waiting had gunshot or stab wounds.
    My infected thumb was due to a gerbil bite.

Big nurse started yelling "Gerbil bite!" "Gerbil bite!" "This guy here is in for a gerbil bite!", as they all laughed at me for bringing my white boy health problem to a place where folks died on the ambulance ride.

It was really pretty great and they were all very nice, my gerbil bite lightened the mood in an otherwise somber health care scene.

ER is dead on a Friday night?
    Sleepy little town, what do you do for fun???

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Sure it was only a gerbil bite....but did you tell them where the gerbil was when it bit you? (sorry, I saw the shot and I took it...an unfortunate Richard Gere reference)

bender66 and kuvash like this.
  9. Greggorios

@telemnemonics, great NYC story. As I read your words I could see it happening in my mind. I will definitely be re-telling it. It's a great example of the NYC that most folks never get to know unless you spend some time there. Despite all of the madness and frustrations that can happen here most people are down to earth folks who are happy to help out and have a good laugh with you at that same time.

"Gerbil Bite!!!":D

10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

The last time I was in the ER, which was recently, I was the only patient there apart from a drunk guy who was handcuffed to a gurney. I think it was a Thursday night, but it was also a full moon, which the nurses insist is a real thing in their line of work.

11. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

My last ER trip was when my young son swallowed a penny and began to panic, thinking it was stuck in his throat. Several hours and several hundred dollars later we left with a photo of his xray showing the coin was well on its way out the other end. Worth it.

4 days later he shat out a dime. Not a bad ROI.

12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

You left at 9:45pm. The real action hadn't started yet.

I took my wife to an ER in New Brunswick, New Jersey late one Saturday night about 5 years ago. She had burst a blood vessel in her eye and the entire white of her eye had filled with blood. The first question they asked her was "Do you feel safe at home?" She gave me the look which means "don't you even think about saying anything smart-ass". They gave her a thorough examination and when we left an hour later at about midnight I remarked at how quiet the ER was. Their response was that I should come back at 2am when the local college bars were closing.

Best wishes to your wife.

GGardner and Greggorios like this.
  13. Greggorios

Best example of ROI that I've ever heard!

14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

A lifetime ago, my kid was in a freak sports accident on a weekend and took an unnatural tumble that looked terrible. Huge gasps by all players and spectators. A woman said that she was a nurse and that I should take my kid to the ER.

We were 40 minutes away from home in a somewhat depressed area. So I made the executive decision to take her to my local ER. By the time we got there, my kid said she felt fine. Before we got out of the car, I said, "Look. This is not daddy's first rodeo. When we get in there, the first person we see is going to ask you what happened and ask you to describe your pain on a scale of 1 to 10. If you say anything less than 9, we're going to be in there all freakin' day."

So we go in and I tell the story of what happened, and the woman says, "So princess, how would you describe your pain on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst pain you've ever felt?"

My kid said, "Uhm, maybe 3."

We were stuck there forever. About 2.5 hours into it, my kid says, "When were you in a rodeo?"

trapdoor2, Ducerro, trev333 and 3 others like this.
  15. telemnemonics

What would my thumb be doing...

kuvash and Greggorios like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

Keeping the gerbil from escaping!

17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

My wife works in hospitals, my mother is an RN, and I work retail.

The full moon thing is real. Because of my customer base being so dependent on public transportation, a good heavy rain tames the phenomenon for me. Hospitals aren't as lucky....

18. telemnemonics

When I lived in NYC there was a big news story about an ambulance picking up an injured man who laid bleeding in the street from a deep leg wound.
    The bleeding man was in shock and asked to be driven a log way to his family docs hospital, but the ambulance driver served the local nearby hospital, plus given that the man could have an artery bleed and might bleed out on a long drive in NYC traffic, the EMT was not taking requests like a taxi driver.

Along strolls the new mayor named Rudy who was cleaning up NY.
    He decides to intervene on the EMTs trying to save the bleeding man, and after some discussion Rudy demands the EMT drive to the far off hospital, which the driver is not even allowed to do. Big long argument while the man bleeds out on the ground.
    He lived and I'm not sure where they went.

Best care vs soonest care in an emergency?
    Good question but don't think too long!

GGardner likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

I'd rather spend Saturday Night in the Cosmos.

(Stay for the piano solo. Don Pullen is a beast!)

Mike Eskimo and telemnemonics like this.
  20. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

ha ha! it's not such a sleepy little town - it is just a bit less crazy!
    what do I do for fun? stay home!

Your post reminded me of my own personal last visit to the ER, in Alameda CA. While walking my dog in the park, an unknown (to us) chow dog came flying from nowhere and attacked my dog. I reached in to grab that dog by the collar, and it bit right through my hand. I almost killed it myself by strangulation, but I am too soft and sweet to actually go through with that.

I went home, but the pain from the bite got intense and traveled up my arm. I went to the ER; they logged me in and I sat for three hours as the pain got worse and worse. The only other patient was a kid - about 8 - who had a tick (This was before Lyme had ever showed up). Everybody was so worried and concerned about this cute little whining boy; I thought "shoot, man, I have had a dozen ticks in my life and never ever once went to the hospital!"

Finally the doctor saw me. The first thing that son-of-a-gun said was "why didn't you come in sooner? This is bad, extremely dangerous and likely to cause an infection. Another half-hour later and you would probably have lost that arm!"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.