1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Friday List - Top Five Albums That Should Get More Respect

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by castpolymer, Apr 3, 2009.

1. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Victoria Vox - Chameleon
    Dan Baird - Love Songs for the Hearing Impaired (Tele!)
    Andy Statman - East Flatbush Blues
    Carl Verheyen - No Borders
    Dan Fogelberg - High Country Snows

2. Derek S

Derek S Former Member

Van Morrison-Veedon Fleece
    20/20-4 Day Tornado
    20/20-Interstate
    Shoes-Propeller
    Lee "Scratch" Perry-Scratch Attack

3. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

Tom Waits- Mule Variations- ( his most important album since Swordfish Trmbones IMO)

Motorhead- Ace of Spades ( people love that song, but the album is overlooked)

Junior Brown- Guit With It ( ditto to what the above poster said)

Mule- If I Don't Six ( the best band that nobody has ever heard of, PW Long is the MAN)

fIREHOSE- Ragin' Full On ( maybe the most important band from the 80's and California)

4. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

ac/dc: powerage ... second best album next to let there be rock

garbage: v2.0 ....great album not too many know about

frank black: teenager of the year ... just about blows away all pixies save for surfer rosa with some of Lyle Workmans (40yo virgin soundtrack) best work

siousxie and the banshees: the scream ...before they went goth they were straight up UK punk

The Ventures: Live in Japan 65 ... one of the best instrumental albums of all time, fabulous tones from everyone (mosrites + blonde fender amps all on 10)

5. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

The cd is in my jeep right now...the blues brothers may have been lighthearted, but "briefcase full of blues" is a classic recording...love it!

6. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

+1 on 'The Scream' by Siouxsie! I love that album, especially the cover of 'Helter-Skelter.'

1. 'Loaded'- The Velvet Underground- Their last album [I don't count the post-Lou records]. Their most accessible, and 'poppy,' so some Velvets purists don't give it a lot of credit, but I like it!

2. 'Muswell Hillbillies'- The Kinks. I think this is one of their best...most of the tongue-in-cheek lyrics lament the dark side of 'modern progress' and soulless bureaucracy, set to brisk, mostly acoustic, country and tin-pan alley influenced music. You almost never hear this album on the radio.

3 & 4. 'Stand Up' and 'Benefit' - Jethro Tull- 'Aqualung' gets all the airplay on classic rock radio, but these two, Tull's second and third albums, are my favorites. We saw them last November and about 3/4 of their setlist was from these. A lot more bluesy and jazzy than their 70s work...which I still like, but not as much as the early stuff.

5. 'Euphoria Morning'- Chris Cornell- His first solo album...most of the songs don't sound anything like Soundgarden, which I think threw some people, but there are some real gems...and some amazing guitar work.

7. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Of the albums by R & L Thompson that have the word Lights in the title and tend to show up in critic's lists of best 100 of all time or whatever, this one is my fave.

It is astonishly, freakishly good. They have at least one other cd with Lights in the title that others feel is actually superior. I dunno, but quite possibly.

Their individual discographies don't suck either.

Cheers,
    Geoff

8. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

The Band - 'Northern Lights/Southern Cross'
    The Outlaws - 'Hurry Sundown'
    The Stones - 'Some Girls'
    Warren Zevon - 'Life'll Kill Ya'
    The Kinks - 'Give The People What They Want'
    Richard Thompson - 'You?Me?Us?'
    Randy Newman - 'Bad Love'

9. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Jethro Tull - Passion Play or Stand Up
    Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
    UFO - Lights Out
    Blind Faith
    Any of Journey's pre-Steve Perry albums

and The Osmonds - Crazy Horses

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One that springs to mind for me...

....don't know if I can think of five right now, but one for me is:

"It's A Shame About Ray," Lemonheads. I like just about every song on this album, including their upbeat cover of "Mrs Robinson."

11. Crotalus Atrox

Crotalus Atrox Tele-Meister

Joe Ely, Musta Notta Gotta Lotta. A barnburner that gives hints of Joe's explosive live shows.

Delbert McClinton, Second Wind. One of the great ones in his dead solid prime. "I drove her through the night while the fruit got ripe, she gave me all I could eat for a quarter."

Wicked Grin, John Hammond. All covers of Tom Waits songs. Waits produced the album, Hammond on guitar and vocals. An absolute killer.

Los Lobos, Kiko. I can't seem to get tired of this one.

Mose Allison, Ever since the world ended. Everybody should own some Mose, and I nominate this one.

12. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Elvis Costello: King Of America. Just a beautiful album. Truly amazing work.

Guided By Voices: Could pick almost anything, but I'll go with Under The Bushes Under The Stars and Alien Lanes (which is their most respected...but still way under most people's radar).

I'm tempted to put in Wilco's Sky Blue Sky, though it's pretty well regarded with critics. While it's popular, there are a lot of people who still haven't found them. I've only recently been turned on to them, and.....wow.

Loretta Lynn: Van Lear Rose. A really, really nice bit of work with Jack White. Very cool stuff, and she sounds as lively and raucous as ever.

Matthew Sweet: Girlfriend. Again, relatively popular, but I find it to be just an amazing piece of pop/rock work. Great hooks, AMAZING lead guitar by Robert Quine. Great drumming. Really cool stuff, even if his voice isn't really all that great. His tunes and melodies are excellent.

13. Rhubarb Red

Rhubarb Red Tele-Meister

My list:

John Hammond - Country Blues

Mick Jagger - Wandering Spirit

Jimmy Giuffre - Western Suite

Status Quo - Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon

Los Lobos - La Pistola Y El Corazon

Cheers!

14. sound dog

sound dog Tele-Meister

1) Dreams and Saturday Nights - Bob Woodruff....criminally underrated singer & songwriter

2) Wild Kentucky Skies - Marty Brown...see notes for B.Woodruff

3) The Knife Feels Like Justice - Brian Setzer...great songs & playing that I actually prefer to his later big band stuff

4) Rock of Life - Rick Springfield....best pop album you've never heard

5) Shaver - Live at Smith's Olde Bar...featuring Billy Shaver & the late, great Eddy Shaver, simply one of the best live albums ever

15. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

That album came out when I first started playing -- just a life-changer, for me. I was lucky enough to see them live in L.A., not long after. MORE intense than the record.

Here's a couple other ignored albums:

'Til Tuesday -- Everything's Different Now My first exposure to Aimee Mann. A friend of mine called it too personal; it's very emotional.

Television -- Marquee Moon The critics know this album, and some musicians, but the general public NEVER got it.

16. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Oh yeah -- I totally forgot that one! Great Tele rock!

17. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Well, since y'all are giving little synopses for your picks, I'll redo mine...

Victoria Vox - Chameleon Great vocals, great pop songs. Most of them played using ukulele as the central rhythm instrument. Remember that scene in Steve Martin's The Jerk when he and Bernadette Peters are singing on the beach? Yep. Put the uke in Bernadette's hands and remove the flugelhorn bit. Great CD.

Dan Baird - Love Songs for the Hearing Impaired "I Love You Period" alone is worthy of the price of admission here. Baird sings punctuation and has the English teacher in the song say the amazingly ungramatical phrase, "the way that it shoulda went." Distorted Teles everywhere too.

Andy Statman - East Flatbush Blues Statman is a mandolin player who studied Bill Monroe in the 70s, had a little bit of a career in the 80s, disappeared in the 90s and has reemerged as an amazing Jazz player. He studied with a klezmerim named Dave Tarras (http://worldmusic.nationalgeographi.../page.basic/artist/content.artist/dave_tarras), and now stands with the likes of Keith Jarrett and Ornette Coleman as a giant in the genre (albeit and unknown giant). His chromatic versions of "Turkey in the Straw" and Monroe's "Rawhide" are amazing. If you're into Jazz, this will blow the top of your head off.

Carl Verheyen - No Borders Verheyen is Eddie Van Halen if Van Halen had traded his charisma in for chops and got three times the value of his charisma. Great player, cool tunes. Should be known wider than LA.

Dan Fogelberg - High Country Snows An 80s era homage to Bluegrass by the (sadly now deceased singer singwriter). David Grisman, Ricky Skaggs, Herb Pederson, Emory Gordy Jr., Jerry Douglas, Jimmy Buchanan round out the instrumentalists with Ricky joining Chris Hillman and Vince Gill for occasional harmony duties. Fogelberg throws some Country music in too, and has the (Call the Bluegrass Police!) Russ Kunkel playing drums all over everything. But the result is a solid album that, on a cut or two, reaches beyond Bluegrass or Country to something new and different, yet very familiar.

Daniel

18. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

Kiko is generally considered Los Lobos' best album, but I couldn't agree more. The only album I can compare it to in the entire rock and roll canon is Revolver.

Hear me out... what the Beatles did on Revolver and Los Lobos did on Kiko was to meld the best of their influences, funnel it through their own musical personality, and approach it with a fearless sense of experimentation. What resulted had both a transcendent familiarity and an imminent unfamiliarity.

19. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

someone mentioned Elvis Costello which reminds me of The Pogues "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash" which he produced. One of my all time favorite albums everyone should own.

20. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

What do you get when you stick the undisputed 26 year old king of the mandolin in a group of like minded/talented players? IMHO the greatest album ever recorded.

[​IMG]

What do you get when you stick the undisputed 20 year old king of the mandolin in a studio with the worlds best players backing him up? IMHO some of the most beautiful music ever written.... for all of you guys out there who think that you have to play through a marshall stack to be hard core, go download "Riddles in the dark" off of Chris Thile's Not all who wander are lost.... It's 3 minutes... Banjo and mandolin... it's more hardcore than anything ever done with a les paul and a full stack..

[​IMG]

1979.... The Tony Rice Unit's first album... "Acoustics".... The worlds top bluegrass musicians record an album of jazz standards.... nuff said.

[​IMG]

Tony Rice and John Carlini... two acoustic guitars.... two microphones.... world class playing.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.