Friday Fist Fight: Guitar recording in the 80s-90s-2000s

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JuneauMike, Jan 24, 2020.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I didn't mean to pay attention to all of this video but it sucked me in. Really interesting discussion, though I don't know these two guys. Tim Pierce is a session guitarist and producer, shows what I know.

The basic takeaway, guitar is not dead, never was, so shut up.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Very cool. I love this stuff.

3. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Brilliant interview. Lots of fun to watch, plenty to learn.

Mike, you've just opened up a new rabbit hole for me. Now I have to go watch more of this guy's work.

p.s. switch YouTube onto 'x 1.75' speed, and a 28 minute video only takes about fifteen minutes.

4. JuneauMike

Ha, I've been binge-watching Tim Pierce since I posted that. He's done tons of work that I'm familiar with. Awesome guitarist too.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  5. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Funny to see these guys just sitting around gassing like a pair of dads, too. ;-)

6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I love to hear Tim talk. My work experience in the studio contains parts of his work experience. I don't work in L.A. so mine is an entirely different atmosphere but I see so much of his modern approach in mine. The funny thing is that I got his album from the '90s but only really discovered anything else about him from his videos starting a couple of years ago. We just seem to think alike about constructing a guitar soundscape.

Bob

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Back in MY DAY, we recorded everything to Tape.
    If the Engineer put the sticky stuff on the wrong side, we had to start all over.
    YEP!!!

8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Holy crap, this is a GAMECHANGER. Thanks!

Matthias likes this.
  9. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I could be wrong, but I believe that Tim Pierce holds the equivalent of the world's record for most credits as guitar player on all record labels. I mean, the dude did Thriller.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow. Great interview and discussion. I always enjoy hearing what Jim Pierce has to say. Thanks for posting.

Funny that I turned off the radio about 1979 and didn't turn it back on until mid 90s and to hear Jim say that grunge brought "credibility" back to rock after that period from '79 to early 90s. First time I have ever heard someone confirming what I always thought happened.

Matt G likes this.
  11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I just found that out a couple months ago. Copy/paste the vid into youtuberepeater & you can put bits on loop at whatever speed works for you. It's a fantastic tool for learning songs.

*edited since having finished watching it.

I'm glad they give Edge his due. Even better that Beato references War, which is still my fave. Edge gets beaten upon just because he's in that band with an insufferable singer. I think his guitar work (never flashy showy or shreddy) & use of his tools of choice covers a lot of ground, but War was a good time in my life. Glad he touched on Lanois/Eno too.

Beato amazes me. He did an entire livestream on another favorite band/record of mine-Swervedriver, & he was absolutely silly from excitement.

Fun video above for sure. I like listening to Tim breakdown the approaches through the years. Awesome.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I'm betting that you probably read and type like me, too. Video is waaaaaaaaaay too slow.

13. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

What Tim Pierce says about in the late 90's when guitar became colorless, that is when I began losing interest in 'rock' and otherwise coming from the music industry and reverted to digging into older music. Dead on, if you ask me.

14. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Odd that a couple of pro sound guys didn't think to put a windshield on the mic.

15. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hah! I thought that too, while I was watching the video. I guess that they thought they'd only be recording inside at NAMM?

16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

That was fun; their enthusiasm for the subject matter was infectious.

17. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Tim has a ton of credits. The issue when figuring out who has the most, is that era of LA session players usually had several guitar players per session.

For instance on Thriller you had Paul Jackson Jr, Steve Lukather, Dean Parks and... oh yeah, Eddie Van Halen. It seems like that happened a lot. I can imagine the conversation in preproduction:

Guy 1: Who do we have playing guitar on this?
    Guy 2: I just booked Tim Pierce.
    Guy 1: Good, good, Tim's a great player.
    Guy 2: What is it?
    Guy 1: Well, What if we also got Jay Graydon?
    Guy 2: Yeah that could be good, but then what if we also had someone who played all the shimmery Michael Thompson chords too?
    Guy 1: Yeah that's a good idea... you call Jay and I'll call MT...

Recording budgets were quite different those days...

18. JuneauMike

He was talking about bands like Korn and Link'n Park, which is really a dark corner of rock music and not really mainstream. (Wonder if he'd group Rage Against the Machine?) At that same time he talked really glowingly about female artists and country music, which he said had "lots of colors."

19. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Korn and Link'n Park were not dark corners of rock. They were very mainstream, all over the radio.

20. JuneauMike

Not the radio I listened to. But ok.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.