1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fretwire Lefty Thinline Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Southpaw Tele, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I didn’t scroll up far enough. [emoji23] Thanks to both of you. I have to play tonight, so I put that guitar on hold until tomorrow. I’m pretty sure I wired the jack correctly, but I’m wrong a LOT, lately! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Southpaw Tele

Okay, I rewired the guitar with better (and larger) pots. And now it’s working! Sound clips when I get time.

3. Southpaw Tele

A couple of things:
    1. Getting feet buzz in the E, A, and D strings between the 1st and 4th frets, so I need to figure out if it’s the nut. The action is too high for my tastes. Neck relief is good, though.
    2. Pickups are not bad, not great. I’ll swap out some day for some GFS filtertron type pickups maybe.
    3. Neck is chunky. I’ll get some proper measurements when time permits, but it reminds me of an old Affinity Tele neck I had that was (relatively) chunky. I prefer slimmer necks due to finger length, but I can get used to it.
    4. No neck dive, which is something I was worried about with this light of a body.
    5. I’ll weigh the guitar.
    6. Tuners are CRAP. I’ll be replacing those ASAP with some vintage style tuners and conversion bushings. The only truly bad part of this particular Fretwire kit.
    7. Fret work on the neck is really not bad at all.
    8. Pre-drilled holes and pickguard did not match up very well. I almost wish I had filled them and redrilled.

All in all, if you’re new to building and want to cut your teeth on a kit, I would say this is well worth the money. I’ve built guitars from Warmoth (and other parts) that were higher quality, but for a newbie, this would be a nice start. I have no affiliation with Fretwire and I’d like to try some other companies to compare.

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

South, I did a little write up about how I approach evaluating and setting up a guitar, might help with troubleshooting your buzz

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/basic-setup.952636/

The other information is good - thanks for posting and for doing the thread.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  5. Southpaw Tele

I’ll give this a read today! I have a spare TUSQ XL nut I may drop in there. I need to invest in some decent nut files. Appreciate all of your help in this build (and Jim’s, as well). It had been about 4 years since I had put together a partscaster and almost a decade since I had tackled a finish job. I was very rusty.

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

The approach I take in that thread is to start by measuring everything on the guitar before I touch anything. That is hard to do, but if you do it you will see the relationship between the different parts of a properly set up guitar. It also means that when you start making changes you will make them in the proper sequence - some things affect others and should be done first or at least in the proper sequence. Why "drop in a new nut" before you know what is wrong with the old one?

Anyway, its my approach and I'm here to help in any why I can. Lets get that puppy playable!

Southpaw Tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.