1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fretwire Lefty Thinline Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Southpaw Tele, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I have 3 coats of nitro on now and the color coat on the front is still rough feeling. I’m planning on doing at least 10-12 coats. I’ll never use Duplicolor again. The can spit paint onto my wife’s planter bench, too. She was not happy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Southpaw Tele

[​IMG]

ben smith and Jim_in_PA like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Thats one of the big problems with rattle cans - the nozzles are junk. I do keep a can of Colortone clear on my work bench for touching up small areas and have found that the nozzles that StewMac sells really work quite well. They are adjustable as far as the pattern and don't seem to spatter as badly. I pull the nozzle off the can and soak in lacquer thinner and they last for a long time. If I was going to finish a guitar with rattle cans I would use them for sure.

Also, warming the can in hot water can help but you are still limited by the technology.

Looks like its coming along nicely

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  4. Southpaw Tele

Thanks! Yeah, I’ve never had this much trouble with Duplicolor. Old cans maybe? I one of them was rusty near the nozzle. I need to get some decent spray equipment and stop screwing around. I think I can get this one to work out okay with enough coats of nitro. Thanks for all of your input!

5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just get more coats of clear built up on it and like I previously mentioned, level it with 600-800 (with a block) nd then do your final coats. Be REALLY careful at the edges. You do not want to cut through the clear. You just want to take off the high spots until there are no high spots. The low spots will appear shiny until they are no longer there.

6. Southpaw Tele

Jim, should I dry or wet sand for this?

7. Freeman Keller

You asked Jim but I'll tell you what I do. All of my build coats, whether color or clear are applied in sets of three per day. The next day I level sand to about 400 grit dry. That takes out any sags, drips, orange peel, dust and scratches from coarser grits. The surface will be uniformly dull. After I have built the clear to the thickness I want (three coats per day, sanded to 400 dry between sets) I will shoot one highly diluted (50:50 or more) "flow" coat - the idea is that the thinner melts everything together and adds a last very smooth coat of lacquer. Some people might accept that as "good enough" - I let it dry for a period of time (a week at least, there are different opinions here) and then I start the wet sanding

Depending on how good that flow coat was I may start the wet sanding at 1000 or 1200, if I have to go any coarser I will but that means the flow coat wasn't as good as I like I'll sand up to 2000, not skipping any grits, and again the surface should be just very slightly dull - duller than the flow coat but not like when we were level sanding. Buffing with fine compound brings the gloss and depth back out.

I know Jim shoots a lot of Target water born lacquer - my schedule is for solvent lacquer (nitro). It may not work for other finishes - cure times might be different, recoat and sanding might also. Read the manufacturers instructions carefully and experiment on scrap.

8. Southpaw Tele

I really appreciate your help here! Thanks once again! Going to give this all a try here!

9. Southpaw Tele

[​IMG]
    Trying to assess what will be visible when the pickguard is on. Sanding with 600 right now to level.

Danb541 likes this.
  10. Freeman Keller

I really want to stress that I have no experience with Duplicolor, what they show on a web site looks like acrylic enamel. They show some lacquers but very limited in color. If you are truly using lacquer then my finishing schedule will probably work, if it is enamel all bets are off.

Your guitar is looking good.

11. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

i'm so anti wet sanding, i had a perfect thinline body myself painted in surf green, i then used a tiny amount of water and it cracked everywhere!

12. Southpaw Tele

Okay, I sanded with 320 (no 400). Got it nice and flat and shot another clear nitro coat on top. The dry sanding worked great and the sparkles in the metallic are still there! Here it is after sanding and the next clear coat. Learning a lot from you guys and I’ve done refins before. It’s been a while and I appreciate the help. Orange peel is gone!

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  13. Southpaw Tele

Not a real good shot. The light makes it look like the peel is still there, but it’s the metallic paint. [​IMG]

Danb541 likes this.
  14. Southpaw Tele

Ben, I hear you. I’ve never had good luck with wet sanding. It’s messy and I don’t know what I’m doing with it. I’m going to skip it on this one and see how it turns out with some fine dry and polishing.

ben smith likes this.
  15. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

OTOH, I've had no issues with wet sanding with Micromesh. I'd like to try the dry sanding methods, but that's not happening until I'm ready to fund the correct abrasives. Chris at Highline Guitars is a dry sanding proponent, so I do have an idea about what I need for that.

16. Freeman Keller

The water (or naphtha) in wet sanding acts as a lubricant and carries away the sludge (dust) so it doesn't build up and scratch the finish. I've never tried dry sanding anything finer that 800 - I just automatically go for the water. I guess its my old hot rod days - the finest finishes were hand sanded many coats of lacquer - of course modern two part finishes do it with no sanding.

Lacquer just buffs so nicely. Here is the refin that I just did. Wet sanded to 2000

IMG_6357.JPG

and buffed

IMG_6359-1.jpg

17. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Just been having a catch-up on this. Looking good Southpaw, looks like you’re on the right track. Just follow your instincts and all the great advice offered in here and she’ll be a great looking guitar.

I love the colour and the contrast with the body.

18. Southpaw Tele

Thanks very much!

19. Southpaw Tele

Gorgeous finish on that one! Professional grade!

20. Infusion

Infusion TDPRI Member

I'm a New member ....
    Your guitar picture caught my eye. Congrats on your new tele build.
    I just built that same guitar but it's the right handed version. Fun project and my first build so I didn't have a whole lot of high expectations with the outcome. Who ever does Fret Wires kit makes it a good choice for novices like me all the holes and cutouts were accurate and true. Anyways I'm curious too how yours comes out. Good luck with the build. I didn't do a lot of build picture with my but I will do a a complete listing of what I did somewhere and how I spect it out. [​IMG]

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Southpaw Tele and Jim_in_PA like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.