Frets

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Deckard, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Hopefully I am posting this in the right place. I recently bought a neck from Warmoth and I have had them put stainless steel frets into the guitar (something to try, supposedly really durable) however when they sprayed the neck they went right over the frets apparently this is standard. The substance sprayed comes right off the stainless when I scratch it with my finger nail. I was wondering if I were to mask off the frets and use some 0000 steel wool or some 1000 grit sand paper if that would be the appropriate material to clean the stuff of my frets?

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

That's the standard way to finish a neck with a maple fretboard. Masking the neck and using steel wool tool remove the paint is a good plan. Fender uses a metal scraper; in the early days it was a nail with a round notch filed into the head.

I'd use coarser steel wool or sandpaper to remove the finish and then smoother stuff to polish.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just keep the steel wool "dust" away from your pickups.

4. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

+1

I've seen it kill 3 pickups in the last couple of years at my shop.

5. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Thanks everyone. I had planned on using some masking tape and taping a piece of news paper over the pickguard and most of the body, or I'd just take the neck off.

6. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

A luthier once recommended those green 3M steel pads for fret polishing. No need to worry about dust with those. I don't think you even need to mask the FB. It wouldn't stop the finish from cracking anyway. I once brushed 3 poly coats on a Maple FB and scraped off the fret surfaces with no cracking problems. Not sure what I used to scrape with. Maybe a putty knife, or a solid butter knife with a micro-serrated edge dragged along the fret?

7. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

I ended up using a piece of metal that was softer then the Stainless Steel that the frets are made of as not to scratch or gouge the fret. It worked pretty well and cleaned the frets up nicely. Thanks again for the help

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.