Fretless, semi-hollow wenge/tineo guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by lbridenstine, Dec 7, 2013.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With that second coat of oil, it already looks buffed and polished. It's gonna be spectacular.

You need to sell off a guitar or trade one for an amp! Just a little one would be OK. With a big reverb tank for Rob. :twisted:

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I've not checked in on this one for a while now, and wow, I've really missed out! This is looking spectacular, Lisa! I love the leaf.

3. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Yeah, the tung oil is awesome. I don't think I'll need to do anything to it other than maybe a quick steel wool-ing. The poly though... still have to do the final wet sand, etc. etc.

I know, I should. I actually have an amp head, but no cab to plug it into anymore, so I should probably just trade the head for a combo... or build a cab.

Thanks! You're back just in time to see it wrapped up. There hasn't really been much going on for a while anyway. Just laying down finish and waiting.

4. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

If you play bass also perhaps you could get a small bass amp that is guitar friendly.

5. lbridenstine

They make those? :confused:

6. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Tele-Meister

It's not small but you could always get a Bassman :D

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

It is easier to find a bass amp to use with a guitar than using a bass guitar on a guitar amp, which could damage the speaker. The Fender Bassman was very popular amongst guitarists, not just bass players.

Maybe one of the smaller, solid state bass amps would be good for you. You would need to be advised by someone with more knowledge. I am just planting the seed.:lol:

8. R. Stratenstein

Or since you already have a head just build a cabinet and put bass friendly speakers in it:

http://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/bass-guitar/

I think a 12" speaker is a good compromise for a guitar/bass amp. If I were building a straight bass amp, I'd go with 15". YMMV.

9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Wow. Just... wow.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks really nice, Lisa!

11. perttime

perttime Friend of Leo's

I'm sure some guitar players use bass amps by choice, for clean sounds. Especially in Jazz. For distorted sounds, you'd need a pedal. Got any shops nearby, where you could try a guitar through a small bass combo?

12. R. Stratenstein

The old 4-10" Bassmans are considered by many players to be the perfect guitar amp. And with effectively a 40" speaker that isn't "flabby", great bass sounds too. A modern 12" speaker will do a good job, though, for both, and you can put it in a cab that doesn't require a small gang of longshoremen to haul it around.

13. lbridenstine

Thanks guys!

I'll have to look into Bassmans. I'm not really in any rush for an amp right now, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

14. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

15. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Love it Lisa,
    The chatoyance beginning to appear in the neck when it is wet is really happening.

The leaf looks good enough to eat, like a little marquetry pastry... pasquetry?

What do you put on your skin to quell dermatalogic reaction?

An old cheat was to rub yourself down in cornstarch, and then shower off with cool water before using any soap or upping the temp.

We particularly used this when working with fiberglass batting, but it helped me out with cedar dust.

Apparently, it sort of clogs your pores so the dust can't get in, then you flush everything away with the cool water.

I have a feeling there are better modern preparations, so do tell.

Are you going to start a bowl thread?

Would love to check out your turning crafts.

What lathe, chuck, favorite tool profiles and woods to work with?

Thanks,

John

16. lbridenstine

Awesome build! It sounds great.

I use Skin MD. The only time it hasn't worked for me was when I was working on something for 7 hours and didn't reapply it.

Amazon.com : Skin MD Natural Shielding Lotion 8 Oz. Bottle (236 mL) for Hands, Face & Body : [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%[email protected]@[email protected]@41%2B9Jl54c1L

I also have Gloves in a Bottle and it seems to work as well, but I don't use it as much because of the texture.

Amazon.com : Gloves In A Bottle Shielding Lotion 8 fl oz (240 ml) : Hand Soaps : [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41tqne9Qo7L

Here's a few bowls and pens I've made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have this lathe (but with a different name on it)...

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-top-wood-lathe-65345.html

... the Nova G3 Chuck with a couple sets of jaws and I use Simple shear cutting finisher and Simple turning and hollowing carbide lathe tools for almost everything. I love the Simple tools except you're supposed to be able to turn the blade when one spot gets dull, but I can't loosen either one.

17. lbridenstine

I guess that last coat of finish wasn't thick enough. Darn.

These are before sanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one is after. It's really smooth, but there's lots of witness lines, so I guess I'll be doing another coat and try to make it thicker this time.

[​IMG]

18. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Neato Lisa,
    Thanks for the info...
    Nice turnings you have there!
    Had the JET version of that lathe which I turned a mess of stuff on before it went swimming.
    Luckily, the Oneway chuck was not mounted at the time.
    Here is my fantasy bowl lathe...
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/120/5523/VB36-Master-Bowlturner-Lathe
    Although the largest sized Oneway, overall would be more versatile, and you can put an outboard turning station on it for BIG pieces.
    It looks as though you may need to go straight to a very fine abrasive (1,200?) or so, and if you have no brush marks, it should cut fast enough without getting too deep.
    My fear is that polishing will end up cutting through at that point if the final coat is so thin.

19. lbridenstine

I've never seen a lathe like that before, that's interesting.

I started with 1000 grit this past time, I don't have 1200, so I'll just start with 1500 next time. The 1000 actually cut really fast, much faster than it did on my build challenge guitar. I'm not sure if the oil based poly is harder or what. I'll try to be really careful with sanding. I used a paint brush this time instead of a foam brush, so I got a thicker coat than last time. Hopefully that will be enough.

The polishing compound I have is supposed to be buffed by hand instead of a buffer, so I'll do that part by hand. It's basically one step lower than swirl remover, so hopefully it won't cut through. Then I have the swirl remover too and I'll try to go light on that with the buffing attachment on the drill.

By the way, sorry that last post of pictures is huge. I copied the links from a different site than normal. I'll go back to the other one from now on.

20. lbridenstine

I'm hoping to be able to do the *final* wet sanding this Sunday and maybe even get it polished. Fingers crossed! I feel like I've been working on this guitar for far too long, but I had a lot of other projects come and go in the middle of this build (build challenge guitar, sanshin, started a 5 string, bowls, pens, etc), so that slowed it down.

Here's a fun project that I worked on today that went a lot faster than I expected.

One of my old friends is having a baby and asked me to make her something owl themed out of wood, so I'm making a clock.

[​IMG]

The owl will be a little further off to the right, but I had to have it where it is for the picture to get it to balance since it's not glued down yet. The clock parts are small and they're going to go on the open area of the moon, off-centered.

I did the rough shaping of the moon a couple weeks ago, but cut out and sanded everything else and finished up the moon today. The owl is all glued together now, and I'm going to try to do the wax paper printing trick to print the clock numbers on the moon and then drill the hole for the parts before I glue the owl and branch on. After that, I'm just going to spray some poly over it and install the clock movements.

This was essentially a "scrap build." The eyes and branch are wenge cut-offs, the face and wings are claro walnut cut-offs from the sanshin, the maple came free when I ordered maple for the 5-string bass, and the moon, beak, and feet are myrtle burl which are cut-offs from bowl blanks. I'm probably going to do some veneer eye lashes on it too just to make it more baby-ish.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.