1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fretless No More Speed Bumps

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Gary Mitchell, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

I played my fretless SX at church Sunday, and boy did people like it. I play tru a older model SWR350 Pro head with a SWR 410. The whole worship band really liked and the drummer really thought it was cool. We play a real modern type worship, and my pastor who leads worship is a jazz guitarist and plays blues. So sometimes him and I do our thing. It was very cool and I am not going back to a fretted bass. I like the little slides I can do with a fretless and the sound it gets. I am sold on them, so my old 1990 MIJ Ibanez SRGD 1000 is going on craigslist. Its in real good condition for its age real good. It listed for $1199.99 new, I have know idea what to ask for it now its black on black. But I am afraid I an addicted now to fretless bass guitars.

2. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Fender makes a MIM standard fretless J Bass which I have and like a lot. I super glued the fretboard on it which was my first time and took a lot of effort due to that, but it came out great and plays great. I have played it a fair amount with roundwounds and it has held up very well.

3. bargeon

bargeon TDPRI Member

Ahh, welcome to the fold of the fretless. Now you see why the sage once said: playing fretted bass is like talking sports with the guys but playing fretless is like making love to a beautiful woman.

4. simond

simond Tele-Holic

I have a 1970 vintage fretless P bass, the year they were released. I've had it since 1975. For years I ran round wounds and every so often I had to sand the grooves out of the fingerboard. Last 10 years or so have been running flats. The same set. They last longer without the fretwear messing with the intonation. Recently got hold of a set of radius gauges and discovered that the neck starts out as 7.5, gradually flattens to 9.25 by about 7th fret, and then gradually reverts to 7.5 further up the neck. Hadn't really noticed before as I have quite high action. The board is quite thin enough to start with so I guess the best fix would be to profile the whole neck to 9.25, if I ever get round to it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  5. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

I am really sold on the fretless bass, don't think I will ever go back. Giving my other bass to a friend. The sound to me is just awesome just something about those strings not laying across medal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.