fretboard and neck misaligned

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Dimitree, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Dimitree

Dimitree TDPRI Member

so I think I made a stupid mistake when tapering the fretboard so that it matches the taper on the neck I already built.
    I noticed that the frets dots, that were perfectly on the center line when the fretboard was not tapered, once put on the neck, go gradually off-center (the dot on the third fret is on the center of the neck, but the dot on the 19th fret are off-center). I think it's less than 1/16 off, maybe a bit more than 1/32.
    That means for some reason (mainly because of my inexperience) I badly aligned the fretboard before tapering it.
    Now I'm wondering if I should trash it, or if I need to re-radius it, or if it is still usable (except esthetically).

I think it looks like this, the green line being the radius at the nut, and the red line the radius at the end of the fretboard. So the highest point of the fretboard is not always on the center.
    I don't understand if that could be compensated by the saddles adjustment, or if it would be a huge problem when leveling the frets.
    tastiera.png

2. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

Just call it a custom modification that you did on purpose and charge more for it if you ever sell it. Surely it won't make a difference when playing??

I_build_my_own and rangercaster like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think your radius beam would straighten anything unless you have some guides to hold it parallel to the centerline of the neck and the neck clamped down. Your frets could take some of the error when leveling. Depending on fret height, that might be the way to go. Are you sure the dots are centered and not off?

I_build_my_own likes this.
  4. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If it is for you personally, finish it play it, enjoy it. It won't make a bit of difference.

If it eats you up as an imperfection you can try to do a bit more sanding to even it out or go with a tighter radius. the most that will happen is it won't work and you will have to replace it as you are thinking about

Eric

1bad914 likes this.
  5. Dimitree

Dimitree TDPRI Member

I'm pretty sure the dots were centered before the tapering.
    Before tapering, I marked the center of the fretboard on both ends, then I marked the center (both ends again) of the neck, and aligned the two pieces.
    But then, after tapering, I noticed that the last dots were not really centered.
    So my assumption was that I misaligned the center line. But since both the neck and fretboard edges were square, I can't understand how could I have misaligned them without noticing.
    So another guess is that I made a slight asymmetrical neck, and the fretboard taper reflects this defect, so effectively it is larger on one side (and it gives you the illusion that the dots are misaligned)
    like this:

Untitled.png

If so, than it wouldn't be a problem since the radius would be consistent along the center line.
    Unfortunately I can't check until next week end.

eallen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.