Fret Question......

Hollywood691

TDPRI Member
I finally got my Broadcaster clone together (my very first build), still have some setup to do on it.

fret deadner ( b string only, 12th fret fine, move to 13th fret and its buzzing heavy, 14th fret buzzing heavy, 15th fret fine.......e and a string are good there.

rocking a straight edge across 14, 15, 16 frets has 15th fret a tiny bit high.....all the rest of the frets are flat (level).

I need to file 15 just a little at that point, to take the rocking out, correct? I bought the neck and didnt "Try" to build a neck yet.....that comes later lol.

my build.jpg

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Nice job on the build man!!! Did you do the finish work too or? In my case, after I built my Nocaster, I played it for a couple of months so things could sort of "break in" with each other. I had a similar issue as you're describing but I didn't want to do anything to the frets until I was certain that the guitar had settled in with itself first. After a couple months of playing and giggin' with her, she settled in and things levelled themselves out perfectly. In my case, I didn't have to touch the frets at all... FWIW. Maybe give it a little time to break in?

Hollywood691

TDPRI Member
Nice job on the build man!!! Did you do the finish work too or? In my case, after I built my Nocaster, I played it for a couple of months so things could sort of "break in" with each other. I had a similar issue as you're describing but I didn't want to do anything to the frets until I was certain that the guitar had settled in with itself first. After a couple months of playing and giggin' with her, she settled in and things levelled themselves out perfectly. In my case, I didn't have to touch the frets at all... FWIW. Maybe give it a little time to break in?
Thanks,... and yes I bought a slab of Ash in Houston....cut, routed and finished the body a while back...just got to slowly buying parts and stuff to finally put it together. I bought an inexpensive neck just to put it together lol.

I have a squire that a friend gave me,....I've had tons of different guitars over the years, Strats, Robin (best action I ever touched), Teles......American, Mexico and this squire is taiwan,.....This squire has awesome tone and plays Great! hence why I bought an inexpensive neck, figured I could fix it with some guidance if I had to,.......this was the only issue I can find.

Brent

Mojotron

Poster Extraordinaire

Yep - better yet - use one of these:
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...Ip0DbxX2HbBC04o5eNjQeq7jhROS4wzBoCB2AQAvD_BwE

Whichever way you go, take as little off as possible with fine paper (~400+ grit). Vintage style frets are not tall at all, so it's even more critical that you take off as little as possible to get them all flat.